Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arturX

Products/ingredients that increase oiliness

I was thinking we should make a (black)list of skin products that increase oiliness when used constantly/daily over a longer period of time (two or more weeks at least). Hopefully the list will be helpful and get pinned.

Here's my contribution

• Hot water :)
  • PG (Propylene Glycol)
  • PEG (Polyethylene Glycol)
  • SLS (Sodium laureth sulfate)
  • Tea tannin
  • ACV (apple cider vinegar)

Thanks but as you can see (starting from pg. 5) I already did that, and discussed the issue with bryan there. I'm in the other camp (you can also read about my personal problem here) so hopefully here's something for those with similar experience.

wait apple cider vinegar increases oiliness? Are you sure? Cause if so I need to change my toner, please let me know!

wait apple cider vinegar increases oiliness? Are you sure? Cause if so I need to change my toner, please let me know!

This list is the original poster's personal opinion.

Rest assured this list will not be pinned as it is personal opinion and not based on scientific evidence nor testing of any type.

Thanks but as you can see (starting from pg. 5) I already did that, and discussed the issue with bryan there. I'm in the other camp (you can also read about my personal problem here) so hopefully here's something for those with similar experience.

I read the entire exchange and your 'point of view' has been thoroughly trounced.

I read the entire exchange and your 'point of view' has been thoroughly trounced.

Why not keep the subject there, in its own thread?

If the research posted there isn't enough here is some more. The first one is done by here-often-cited Albert Kligman. The second one is not available in English but mentions the same thing (and I doubt you will get your hands on it that easily).

H. Goldschmidt and A.M. Kligman, Increased sebum secretion following selenium sulfide shampoos,Acta Dermatol. Venereol., 48, 488-491 (1968).

G. E. Pierard, C. Pierard-Franchimont, and T. Ben Mosbah, Les pityrosporoses. Pityriasis versicolor,

folliculite pityrosporique, dermatite seborrheique et etat pelliculaire, Rev. Med. Liege, 44, 267-271

(1989).

I'm not saying you're bothered with the subject or that it does concern you or your skin, but accept the fact that there are people out there that have problems with some topicals and their ingredients. We are not all the same and we do not react the same way to topicals. You should know that by now from your own experience I guess. If you are not certain ask your doctor if all the people react the same. I write here from my own personal experience since I work in a lab and know chemical substances you put on your skin everyday inside-out.

currently almost all my cleansers hace SLS ..!

SLS dissolves oil and is a known skin irritant. Here is some available research

Agner T. Susceptibility of atopic dermatitis patients to irritant dermatitis caused by sodium lauryl sulphate. Acta Derm Venereol. 1991;71(4):296-300.

A. Nassif, S. C. Chan, F. J. Storrs and J. M. Hanifin. Abstract: Abnormal skin irritancy in atopic dermatitis and in atopy without dermatitis. Arch Dermatol. November 1994;130(11):1402.

Yes, an undiluted ACV dissolves oil and irritates the skin causing burning sensation. If you're not having any problems with it, say it here and it will be noted.

If the research posted there isn't enough here is some more.

But you didn't post any relevant research there, except for that one study which is still on my Get List. All the others were completely irrelevant, as I explained to you in that thread.

The first one is done by here-often-cited Albert Kligman. The second one is not available in English but mentions the same thing (and I doubt you will get your hands on it that easily).

H. Goldschmidt and A.M. Kligman, Increased sebum secretion following selenium sulfide shampoos,Acta Dermatol. Venereol., 48, 488-491 (1968).

G. E. Pierard, C. Pierard-Franchimont, and T. Ben Mosbah, Les pityrosporoses. Pityriasis versicolor, folliculite pityrosporique, dermatite seborrheique et etat pelliculaire, Rev. Med. Liege, 44, 267-271 (1989).

I've seen that first citation before, although I haven't read the whole study. It seems fairly clear that Kligman and his colleague are referring to a drug-like action from that specific shampoo, it's certainly not referring to shampoos in general. For that reason, it's not really relevant to the feedback theory.

As for that second study...have you even read it at all? What does it say or claim? Why are you listing it here?

Yes, an undiluted ACV dissolves oil and irritates the skin causing burning sensation. If you're not having any problems with it, say it here and it will be noted.

Irritating the skin and causing a burning sensation is one thing, increasing oiliness is another. Do you have any reason to think that ACV increases oiliness? Have you tested it for that? It would be a simple thing to test for, using Sebutape test-strips.

annnyyyyyyyyway...................back to the original post ay - rather than this silly, 'my intellect is better than yours' rubbish etc

Each person has different skin to others - end of - therefore different things will prob react differently - btw this is not scientific evidence - but my opinion lol

yeah seriously, nicely put aLeXeLa. I think this is a good thread, Id like to hear what people have to say.

When I use Stridex Power Pads, the active ingredient being Benzoyl Peroxide, I notice an increase in oil mostly on my nose and forehead.

I'm curious to hear if any one has a similar problem with these pads?

And also, if the topical non-pad version of BP causes an increase in oil?

When I use Stridex Power Pads, the active ingredient being Benzoyl Peroxide, I notice an increase in oil mostly on my nose and forehead.

I'm curious to hear if any one has a similar problem with these pads?

And also, if the topical non-pad version of BP causes an increase in oil?

do the pads have alcohol in them?