Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freakNpink

Mild-Mod acne for 10 years turning to cystic acne almost overnight

Well, as I said above I have had mild to moderate acne for almost 10 years and Ive tried everything with only temporary improvements. The only time before that my acne got really bad was in Nov of 06 (pic). Soon after I went to the ER to find out I had staph infection and with the help of an antibiotic my acne returned to mild-mod for a good 3 years.

Then about four months ago one morning I woke up with a cyst.. I posted about it here. Apparently... I never had a cyst before this just large pustules from time to time that I thought were cysts. So you can see why I freaked when a large amount of pus came out of my face for the first time. lol

The funny thing is that about ten days before this my skin had completely cleared up for the first time in my life...only to last ten freaking days and then give me cystic acne.....wtf? :wall:

For the life of me I could not get that cyst to heal... every time I took a shower or bath it would break back open and leak pus. I dealt with this for months and as my face would seem like it was getting better more cysts would appear.

I finally went to the ER since I no longer have insurance... only to wait three hours to see a doctor in a hurry who barely examined me. After he glanced at my face he said " You know..they have OTC products for this type of thing. It won't kill you it's more of a cosmetic problem...it's just not attractive." That really made my day....glad to pay $300 bucks to hear him tell me that.

He also told me it was probably just a minor bacteria infection and gave me a script for 10 days of antibiotics. He didn't even take a culture test and I told him three times that I had a staph infection before. I finished my script and my face is only going downhill.

All I have been using since this mess is the Cetaphil antibacterial bar twice daily, spot treating with BP, using Dan's moisturizer in the mornings and kiss my face peaches + cream 8% AHA on flaky spots at night. What am I doing wrong? I'm 22 and my acne is only becoming worse.... I always thought Id outgrow acne by now...

The only things that I changed around the time this happened was...

I stopped taking Seroquell after being on it for 4 years for my insomnia due to weight gain

I stopped using my birth control Nuva ring since I no longer have insurance

and I have been on many different kinds of bc since I was 16.

I also have been under a lot of stress this past year and a half but I usually worry about

everything..so nothing big there...I don't think.

Anyways.. here is a recent comparison pic.... I intended to post on here days ago.

Bet you can tell where that first cyst was that wouldn't heal.. :wall:

I'm about at my wits end with battling my acne and I'm desperate for any advice I can get.

I'm with ya. I am sorry you have to go through this. I would say it was definitely going off the birth control causing this and stress just feeds it I think. I went on birth control and have had cystic acne ever since I went off of it. It takes months for your hormones to readjust.

I posted a similar story in the b.c. thread somewhere. Back in April my skin suddenly flipped out. I started getting nodules and still have a few come up every week. I've never had this problem before. It came out of nowhere! I've read that cystic acne can pop up suddenly and go away eventually, but not before it wrecks havoc on your skin.

Maybe it is a hormonal thing. I went off b.c. about 2 months ago and my skin has gotten worse. I'm experimenting with regimens. Doing the Exposed one now. So far it's not bad. No major changes but I'll give it more time. I've also started drinking way more water, taking multi-vitamins (I've heard omega 3/fish oil is quite good for your skin).

I'm not sure what advice to give. Do you have a dermatologist? Without insurance it may be an issue but they'd definitely set you up with a personal regimen.

I always thought I would outgrow it, too. My derm. back in high school said the same thing. Maybe get back on b.c.? I don't know the reason you went off but for 4 years my b.c. fixed my skin almost entirely.

Spot treating with BP will only help the individual spot. BP is better used as an overall treatment to help prevent more acne/cysts from forming. Your acne is more severe than the Regimen is recommended for, but it may help until you're able to afford a derm visit. For some, jojoba oil is comedogenic. Try the most neutral moisturizer you can find IF you need one. If you do go on the regimen, you will need a moisturizer.

$300 for an ER visit? You could have had a derm visit for the same cost; with possibly a discount for paying in cash/without insurance.

If you really want to fix the problem, consider going to a dermatologist for a consultation. I would call around and ask the cost without insurance to find the most cost-effective choice before you go.

I went off the BC pill too about 4 months ago.... I was on it 10 years, and it's wreaked havoc on my skin. I have painful leisons, it's embarrasing and horrible. I'm a newlywed and this isn't how I wanted to spend my first year of marriage (hiding in the house) I don't know what to do. I cannot go back on BC. Does anyone know how long this lasts, the effects of going off BC. When do your hormones go back to normal

Thank you everyone for replying.. I really appreciate it.

I'm starting to really think it was going off B/C that made everything go crazy after all..

I managed to get a clinic appointment on the 16th of this month and hope I can manage to get back on the pill this time. Ill post back how it goes and take some pics. Thanks again!

Please consider Wynne's advice very carefully. The ER is not the place to be treated for acne! You really need to see a derm, and it very likely will cost less than three hundred dollars for a visit (certainly not more).

All the best,

Joe Zit

Ok, a bit of an update...

My face is still progressively getting worse... Ill have a few days in between where it looks like the cysts are drying out and healing...then I get new ones and they even come back in the same spots..bigger and more pissed off then ever.

As of the 19th of this month..I'm back on B/C Ortho Cyclen and I decided to break out my face steamer which has been collecting dust for the last few years. I plan to add a good amount of sea salt to the water in my steamer and steam my face for a good half hour every night. Ive been reading a lot about the benefits of steaming your face and how much it can help with cystic acne... At this point I figure it can't get much worse, Ill try anything. Last night was the fist night I did this and after one use I can see a difference. My two biggest and most stubborn cysts went from being dark purple to a medium red shade and even went down in size a little bit...Too soon to really know if it will help me in the long run. When I woke up today I noticed I had small-med white heads all over the place and some where I never break out. Think this is good.. seems to be bringing all the nasty gunk to the surface.

Saw another doctor a few weeks ago...now on my 2nd course of Doxy, half way through it. I'm not getting any new cysts yet, so happy about that. Ive had this one on my jawline for months, wont budge, bought some TTO and been applying it three times daily. Really want to kick myself for never buying tea tree oil till now, really helps w/ the pain and swelling. The one on my jawline keeps spreading out and almost the entire side of my left lower jaw is red/purple from this...been using ACV...anyone know anything I can use?

Sep 11 2009, Update-

Saw yet another doctor today and for free...seems we got this new clinic thing here were nurses and doctors volunteer after they get off work. He switched me from Doxy to Tetracycline and prescribed Clindagel 1%...been reading mixed reviews for it, yet..lots of good ones too.. wish me luck :D

Edited by freakNpink

Guest Rocky666

As far as cysts go they are just one big waiting game, in the past I've managed to handle my cysts pretty well by trying to pop them until a clear fluid came out and then spot treating with Clean & Clear Advantage Spot Treatment. And overnight it dried it out and within 2-3 days it was just a scab. But then sometimes it would fill back up under the scab so when you said you had to pop it numerous times I too remember having to do that.

You need a very basic regimen I think right now is too early for you to be using AHA. It could be causing more irritation and redness than you need. And of course your mission right now is to rid yourself of acne. Try using your Cetaphil Cleanser, the Clindagel you were prescribed and Dan's moisturizer for about 2 months and see what that does for you. Oh and also continue with taking your antibiotics because those could help from the inside out.

I see that you also use Tea Tree Oil. I was very curious about this I saw that The Body Shop has a whole acne line based around Tea Tree Oil and some of the reviews I've read from various dermatologists have proved to show that it doesn't really do much at all. You have better luck at trying a Honey Mask because at least honey has antibacterial properties which could really help soften and clear your skin.

Edited by Rocky666

I don't have time right now to read through the whole of this thread but after a quick scan, I don't see any mention of probiotics. It is essential that you start taking probiotics. Birth control completely wipes out the "friendly" bacteria in your intestines, leaving you extremely vulnerable to "bad" bacteria overgrowth. I cannot impress upon you enough the importance of replenishing the probiotics in your system. This is the first step to bringing the bacterial infection under control.

I am so sorry to hear that your doc told you this. I had (and now have again) cystic acne. The first out break was 12 years ago and the doc immediately put me on accutane. That cleared it up within a month or two though they said it may take six. Now, Many years later I am having recurrences of the same sort of acne and I do not want to take a second dose of accutane (read up on the side effects and you will know why) I have found that I can somewhat control the outbreaks by washig my skin 3 times per day with a mild but antibacterial wash, using Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask twice a week and as spot treatment overnight, and using at least an over the counter (mild) glycolic acid peel and exfoliation once to twice weekly. It's a tough pill to swallow, I had perfect pore less skin that erupted in cysts for seemingly no good reason all of the sudden, I feel your pain! I am now 27, my first break out was at 14-15. I can tell you that it may be worse around the time of your monthly cycle (If you're a girl :) and after pregnancy. My skin was so clear each time I was pregnant with my two sons! Seek a new Doc. He/she does not seem up to date. And with the staph infections, this could be a sign of something serious!!! Good Luck!

Peace,

Jessie

Well, as I said above I have had mild to moderate acne for almost 10 years and Ive tried everything with only temporary improvements. The only time before that my acne got really bad was in Nov of 06 . Soon after I went to the ER to find out I had staph infection and with the help of an antibiotic my acne returned to mild-mod for a good 3 years.

Then about four months ago one morning I woke up with a cyst.. I posted about it . Apparently... I never had a cyst before this just large pustules from time to time that I thought were cysts. So you can see why I freaked when a large amount of pus came out of my face for the first time. lol

The funny thing is that about ten days before this my skin had completely cleared up for the first time in my life...only to last ten freaking days and then give me cystic acne.....wtf? :wall:

For the life of me I could not get that cyst to heal... every time I took a shower or bath it would break back open and leak pus. I dealt with this for months and as my face would seem like it was getting better more cysts would appear.

I finally went to the ER since I no longer have insurance... only to wait three hours to see a doctor in a hurry who barely examined me. After he glanced at my face he said " You know..they have OTC products for this type of thing. It won't kill you it's more of a cosmetic problem...it's just not attractive." That really made my day....glad to pay $300 bucks to hear him tell me that.

He also told me it was probably just a minor bacteria infection and gave me a script for 10 days of antibiotics. He didn't even take a culture test and I told him three times that I had a staph infection before. I finished my script and my face is only going downhill.

All I have been using since this mess is the Cetaphil antibacterial bar twice daily, spot treating with BP, using Dan's moisturizer in the mornings and kiss my face peaches + cream 8% AHA on flaky spots at night. What am I doing wrong? I'm 22 and my acne is only becoming worse.... I always thought Id outgrow acne by now...

The only things that I changed around the time this happened was...

I stopped taking Seroquell after being on it for 4 years for my insomnia due to weight gain

I stopped using my birth control Nuva ring since I no longer have insurance

and I have been on many different kinds of bc since I was 16.

I also have been under a lot of stress this past year and a half but I usually worry about

everything..so nothing big there...I don't think.

Anyways.. is a recent comparison pic.... I intended to post on here days ago.

Bet you can tell where that first cyst was that wouldn't heal.. :wall:

I'm about at my wits end with battling my acne and I'm desperate for any advice I can get.

I also want to add as the girl above had mentioned, I tried my hand at tea tree oil in all forms, pure, organic, combination with other acne treatments....and all skin is different, but it compounded my problems and did not help me even a smidgen! Just wanted to let you know!:)

You mentioned taking multi-vitamins like Omega 3. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this yet, but zinc can also be good for cystic acne.

I posted a similar story in the b.c. thread somewhere. Back in April my skin suddenly flipped out. I started getting nodules and still have a few come up every week. I've never had this problem before. It came out of nowhere! I've read that cystic acne can pop up suddenly and go away eventually, but not before it wrecks havoc on your skin.

Maybe it is a hormonal thing. I went off b.c. about 2 months ago and my skin has gotten worse. I'm experimenting with regimens. Doing the Exposed one now. So far it's not bad. No major changes but I'll give it more time. I've also started drinking way more water, taking multi-vitamins (I've heard omega 3/fish oil is quite good for your skin).

I'm not sure what advice to give. Do you have a dermatologist? Without insurance it may be an issue but they'd definitely set you up with a personal regimen.

I always thought I would outgrow it, too. My derm. back in high school said the same thing. Maybe get back on b.c.? I don't know the reason you went off but for 4 years my b.c. fixed my skin almost entirely.

Update

My face seems to be getting better with every week that goes by, the last of my cysts are about dried up and I have yet to have any new ones emerge. Ive decided to drop most of my regimen and only use the basics, stopped using the Cetaphil antibacterial bar and switched to the panoxyl 5% BP bar...was thinking I could use the extra kick of BP... will follow w/ Clindagel and continue to take my antibiotic, birth control, vitamins, steaming my face and using apple cider Vinegar occasionally.

As far as cysts go they are just one big waiting game, in the past I've managed to handle my cysts pretty well by trying to pop them until a clear fluid came out and then spot treating with Clean & Clear Advantage Spot Treatment. And overnight it dried it out and within 2-3 days it was just a scab. But then sometimes it would fill back up under the scab so when you said you had to pop it numerous times I too remember having to do that.

You need a very basic regimen I think right now is too early for you to be using AHA. It could be causing more irritation and redness than you need. And of course your mission right now is to rid yourself of acne. Try using your Cetaphil Cleanser, the Clindagel you were prescribed and Dan's moisturizer for about 2 months and see what that does for you. Oh and also continue with taking your antibiotics because those could help from the inside out.

I see that you also use Tea Tree Oil. I was very curious about this I saw that The Body Shop has a whole acne line based around Tea Tree Oil and some of the reviews I've read from various dermatologists have proved to show that it doesn't really do much at all. You have better luck at trying a Honey Mask because at least honey has antibacterial properties which could really help soften and clear your skin.

Edited by freakNpink