Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is something that has been very, very hard for me to stop. When I get a bad breakout, I'll clean and wash my face but I cannot stop touching the acne. I feel that when I pick at it I'm getting rid of the imperfections, and I'll pick until I see a tiny streak of blood on my finger, then I'll stop, until it's stopped bleeding.

I think I'm a little OCD and it's contributing to this, as well as my depression. I know picking makes the acne worse but it is SO hard to stop...sometimes I keep a hairtie on my wrist and snap it whenever I catch myself picking, or I'll say out loud, "I won't pick my skin today" but even that doesn't seem to help. I'm really upset and I don't know what to do. :(

Ouch. :confused:

I agree. Once I started picking, I couldn't stop, and still can't. It's like an addiction. It's hard to come out of and I hate it. :comfort:

That is a horrible habit, and picking your skin is only going to make it worse. I know it can be difficult. I used to pick the scabs until they bled, and it wasn't until I saw the marks in the mirror that I knew it would be wise to stop.

Keep your hands away from your face. Look at your face before leaving the house, and don't check on your skin throughout the day. Maybe that will help control the urges to pick.

That is a horrible habit, and picking your skin is only going to make it worse. I know it can be difficult. I used to pick the scabs until they bled, and it wasn't until I saw the marks in the mirror that I knew it would be wise to stop.

Keep your hands away from your face. Look at your face before leaving the house, and don't check on your skin throughout the day. Maybe that will help control the urges to pick.

I agree. I pick when I start checking my face in the mirror a lot (which I do more often when I have active pimples). I've had a sudden flare up recently, after being clear for a long time and I've gone back to my picking habits.

I mostly do it to try and make the lesion smoother, so I can hide it better with makeup. Every once and awhile I have a good result from this (e.g., no bleeding or irritation and the skin comes off easily), but most of the time I just end up irritating the skin, slowing the healing process, and making things look even worse

Its so hard to stop checking the mirror though! its one of my worst habits.