Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dextm

Pls recommend me some over-the-counter products I can buy at the local Walmart / Shoppers!

Currently, this is my routine:

Morning

1. Wake up with oily face

2. Sprinkle face with water, cleanse using Neutrogena Clear Bar (face gets very dry)

3. Use Keri hand lotion on face before leaving

Night

1. As soon as I get home, sprinkle face with water, cleanse using Neutrogena Clear Bar (face gets very dry)

2. Or if I arrive home very late and a shower is the only thing separating me from sleep, I wash my face in the shower using whatever body wash I have or bar soap w/ Aloe

(I DON'T use Keri hand lotion on my face when I sleep)

I'm sure I'm making a huge mistake(s) somewhere. I've been reading the forums for ~2 hours and all I see are terms like 'exfoliating, BH, BP, tree oil, Accutane', etc. I don't understand most of the words I'm sure they are products I can buy at the local Walmart or Shoppers (I live in Canada). Can anyone recommend me which items to buy?

Any suggestions would be welcome...Thanks!

Hey there fellow Canadian.

First I'm a bit worried about the moisturizer your using. I've never heard of it, but it may contain ingredients/perfumes that are irritating your skin and making your acne worse.

Jojoba oil, extra virgin olive oil (use small amounts), or some water based, perfume free moisturizer would better serve you.

Second, using body wash on your face is also probably a bad idea. Again it has perfumes and other ingredients which may irritate your skin. Using just water, or finding non-irritating soap would be better for you then body wash.

Third, try getting some organic apple cider vinegar (you can get it online, or maybe at Safeway or Walmart), and drinking that diluted/applying to your face (diluted too).

Finally, check out this link for potential soaps/moisturizers that Dan recommends: http://www.acne.org/findingsupplies.php

Hey, welcome to Acne.org. :)

A basic regimen would be to use a gentle cleanser and use moisturizer and sunscreen in the morning. Nighttime you can skip the suncreen.

I know the lotion you're talking about, and I'm sure it's irritating your skin and may be clogging your pores. What you put on your face needs to be non-comedogenic, meaning it won't clog your pores. Also, irritating acne will just result in a longer time in the healing of acne and may trigger new breakouts.

I suggest Purpose facial cleanser as it is 100% soap free, and others use Cetaphil. It doesn't work for me, but it does for others. I moisturize with a prescription moisturizer called DML, but over the counter ones would be by the brands Purpose, Cetaphil, Eucerin, Olay and Aveeno. Stick with those and you should be good.

You might also want to try extra-virgin olive oil from your pantry. I add a couple drops to my morning moisturizer and use it straight out of the bottle on my face before bed. It's super moisturizing and cheap.

In addition to this regimen, Benzoyl Peroxide is a pretty typical acne medication found in drug stores and the like. It's actually the personal regimen of this website. Basically, you wash, apply BP and then moisturize. You can check it out here.

Today I went to my local SDM and bought Neutrogena Oil-Free Oil-Free Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment (http://international.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=163358&catid=21234&aid=333181&aparam=sespider) as my facial cleanser. Then I also got some PanOxyl 5% Acne Aquagel. I hope Salicylic Acid and benzoyl peroxide mix!

You may want to be careful mixing the two, over treatment could make your skin worse. Start off slow would be my recommendation.

Today I went to my local SDM and bought Neutrogena Oil-Free Oil-Free Acne Stress Control, 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment (http://international.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=163358&catid=21234&aid=333181&aparam=sespider) as my facial cleanser. Then I also got some PanOxyl 5% Acne Aquagel. I hope Salicylic Acid and benzoyl peroxide mix!

You may want to be careful mixing the two, over treatment could make your skin worse. Start off slow would be my recommendation.

Yeah, I couldn't find a normal, huge bottle of Cetaphil facial cleanser so I just bought what I thought was good and on sale...