Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mermaidenly

Have you ever felt like this?

I've been browsing around the site and haven't really come across anything like this, so I thought I'd just ask.

Every morning I take a shower and I'm honestly afraid to leave the bathroom because my family might see my skin. Especially when it's sort of worse because of the heat from the shower and washing it. Then when I go upstairs to dry off I sometimes feel like they're making fun of me.

But the worst is feeling guilty and ashamed. I honestly sometimes feel like they're ashamed of me because of my skin. Like I'm this big eyesore and this curse on the family. I mean, no one else in the family around my age has/had skin problems like I do. I feel like it's all my fault, the fact that I even have acne and just everything. If that makes sense.

I feel like they're disgusted by me and don't want to look at me or eat near me. The other day my brother went into the kitchen to make something to eat and I almost started crying because I thought I saw him eating in there. Like he couldn't eat near me. My dad is a really weird guy who can get annoyed with something and end up snapping at someone because he doesn't know how to deal with it. So we'll be talking and I'll think he's mad at me when he's really just annoyed he can't get the remote to work. I'll think he resents me because I'm too loud or something and then it just escalates into me feeling like he hates me because of my skin.

My family is so not judgmental and especially not superficial or shallow. They would never feel like I've wronged them by having acne. But I still feel so guilty.

I'm so glad I found this site so I can talk about this stuff.

I feel the exact same way.

Heck, I ever wear concealer around them. I never let them see me with just bare skin, lol. Like you said in your post, OP - I am ashamed of how I look. I feel like a monster, and for them [or anyone else for that matter] to see me like that is just a big rock on my shoulders.

i am so sorry that you feel that way.

when my skin got really bad i was just more embarassed for my family to see my skin without makeup, for a while id just hide until i was ready, but after a while they got used to it and didnt seem to stare anymore. for a while i could see their eyes just almost pop out of their heads and them just stare but now they dont after i explained to them how bad it feels and how much pain i was and still am going through.

have you ever expressed how you feel and what your going through to them? talking about things (for me at least) makes things a lot better. but again im sorry that you feel that way, but you shouldnt feel guilty because it isnt your fault you have acne.

i hope things get better for you.

Don't feel guilty over your condition. It's not like you chose to have acne. I agree with very frustrated. You should tell your family how acne makes you feel. Your family needs to understand your situation in order to provide support.

Hey I know how you feel.. Its difficult when you are the only person dealing with acne in the family.. I am also the only one dealing with it.. But trust me because of skin problem your family will never be ashamed of you or make fun of it.. I know they understand your pain.. But I think they is some communication problems between you guys.. I don't know how old you are and your siblings.. I am guessing you are a teenager.. But in teenage years they are many problems between siblings.. It may not be your acne but something else.. I also disagree with my dad on most of the issues and I do feel he never understands my problem even though he had acne when he was young.. He doesn't like at all how I keep spending money on acne products.. But I really don't care about that coz I know what I am suffering through and how frustrating this can get.. My mother understands me and always tries to help me.. but at times she says that you are obsessed with your skin and acne and bahave like you have got some big disease.. I think this happens in every family.. Some times people understand you and at times they don't.. May be you can sit and talk with your family and tell them how you feel.. or with someone whom you are close to in the family may be your mom or someone.. I am sure this will make them understand.. Please do not feel guilty or ashamed or think you are a curse on the family.. No no no sweety it's not your fault.. You never asked for that.. I hope this makes you feel better...

I used to feel the same way but trust me people aren't as concerned with your acne as you think.

It's more a case of you getting upset by your thinking what you think other people are thinking, when in fact they aren't thinking what you think they are thinking at all =)

K