Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dextm

Can't shave without getting pimples in nose/mouth/chin area?

I find that I'm constantly growing pimples/zits from all the red marks I get after shaving.

I use the traditional method of shaving which is razor and cream and I try to do it properly as much as possible (right after shower, hot water, massage with shaving cream, clean blade with rubbing alcohol, go over areas once or twice, aftershave balm, etc.) but I still get a bad shave and worse of all I end up growing pimples or zits!

Can anyone help me with this problem?

wwwDOTimg505.imageshack.us/img505/4892/49242627.jpg

Why in the world are you using rubbing alcohol? I'm no expert, but that may be your main culprit right there. It could also be either your shaving cream or your aftershave balm clogging your pores. What type of razor do you use? I used to get razor bumps all over my throat, but this all stopped when I started shaving properly. This is my daily morning routine:

1) In the shower, wet face several times while washing hair/body.

2) At the very end, lather 3 pumps of Dan's cleanser and gently spread over face

3) Confidently shave with the grain using a Gillette Sensor Excel 2-blade razor

4) Once finished, let water stream over face again

5) Gently pat face dry with a clean towel

And that is all I do. I can't tell you what a difference shaving in the shower has done for me, so I would highly recommend it. Also, I never clean my razor blade with anything, and I only change it when it feels dull, which is usually after a month or so.

Good luck!

I have the same problem. Best thing to do is have a warm shower before and after shaving

then let your face dry itself before using a moisturiser. That helps.

Why in the world are you using rubbing alcohol? I'm no expert, but that may be your main culprit right there. It could also be either your shaving cream or your aftershave balm clogging your pores. What type of razor do you use? I used to get razor bumps all over my throat, but this all stopped when I started shaving properly. This is my daily morning routine:

1) In the shower, wet face several times while washing hair/body.

2) At the very end, lather 3 pumps of Dan's cleanser and gently spread over face

3) Confidently shave with the grain using a Gillette Sensor Excel 2-blade razor

4) Once finished, let water stream over face again

5) Gently pat face dry with a clean towel

And that is all I do. I can't tell you what a difference shaving in the shower has done for me, so I would highly recommend it. Also, I never clean my razor blade with anything, and I only change it when it feels dull, which is usually after a month or so.

Good luck!

Rubbing alcohol is used to clean bacteria.

I have a lot of bumps around my nose/mouth so I can never get a good, clean shave. I often have to redo the same areas twice. I think I end up shaving skin off or exposing my pores to dirt/bacteria because of that.

I've tried cheap $1 Gilette razors and their 5-blade fusion, all the same result...

The razor has nothing to do with it the shaving foam/cream is far more importent

as is what you do before and after shaving. These five blade razors are a waste of money.

dex,

Yeah, I supposed that's why you were using alcohol, but it is unnecessary in my opinion. I don't think that the razor accumulates enough bacteria to have to disinfect, and, if you use a cleanser like I do, then you really don't have to worry about it. I also strongly disagree with the post above me. Razors have everything to do with it. You need to use a razor that causes the least amount of irritation. Irritation = Acne. It differs from person to person, but, in my experience, two-bladed razors are the most comfortable. And I have tried almost every razor on the market: one-blade disposable, two-blade disposable, Mac 3, Fusion, etc...

I find that even with the 5-blade, I STILL need to go over the same area twice to get a better shave. It really doesn't matter anymore. Whenever I try to get a close shave, I have the tendency to reopen scars which opens the door for acne.

5-blade razors are just a money maker. You can shave just as well with a 2-blade razor.

I shave with and against the hair, down and then up

you have to make your face very wet and use a lot of foam/gell.

I was the same way (I grew out of my acne but the irritation was very bad). I don't have a lot of body hair but my facial hair is pretty thick, as well as my neck hair. shaving around my mouth as well as my entire neck was a disaster. Didn't matter if I used oil, foam, gel, after a shower, after a hot soak, with a 5 blade, 2 blade, etc...

The only thing that came close for me was the old fashioned way. Either a straight razor or a safety razor and a badger brush with the solid soap. Cost about $50 up front but it got me through college.

Luckily, I got an amazing job when I turned 22 and within a few months I paid for a round of 5 sessions for laser removal. I have white skin and dark hair so it only took 3 sessions. It's been 2 years and not a single hair had grown back on my neck or the area directly around my mouth (It looks better now). I guess the downside for you is that it costs about $100-200 a session depending on the place, the laser, if a doctor or nurse does it, and if you get more than 1 treatment. Not shaving my neck ever is completely worth it though. I would have paid $1000 for it or more easily.