Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CKitty

How bad is my acne?

Hi,

I'm 20 years old. It seems like since I was about 16 I've had acne around my mouth and chin that I cannot get rid of. It takes a huge emotional toll on me. I've tried many washes, topical medication, scrubs, and gentler methods. Nothing seems to work.

Picture 1: what my skin looks like right after I've cleaned my face.

post-108702-1248543071_thumb.jpg

Picture 2: What it looks like at the end of the day.

post-108702-1248543343_thumb.jpg

Picture 3: What it looks like in the morning, before I've washed it.

post-108702-1248543366_thumb.jpg

Here's my routine:

Wash face with warm water and St. Ives Warming Scrub

Open pores with hot washcloth on the acne

Wash with Physioderm Foaming Facial Wash

Apply Physioderm Nurturing Toner

Apply Oily Skin moisturizer (I got this at a Burke Williams Spa)

At night is the same routine. I was told not to use benzoyl peroxide or sycillic acid because it was too harsh on my skin (and I have tried both of those.)

Every couple of days I use a mint julep mask and, starting last week, I've started applying Glycolic acid peel. I've only done it one time so there really hasn't been a change.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

post-108702-1248543071_thumb.jpg

post-108702-1248543343_thumb.jpg

post-108702-1248543366_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't use the Apricot scrub on your chin... it really aggravated my chin acne. But even if you decide to stick with it, exfoliating twice a day is definitely not good.

I get most of my spot around my chin area.

I use Nutrogena Exfoliating Wash, Its not too harsh at scrubbing your skin and I find it really dries my pimples.

Also Id suggest using an Asprin Mask

Hope you find whats right for you =)

Here's my routine:

Wash face with warm water and St. Ives Warming Scrub

Open pores with hot washcloth on the acne

Wash with Physioderm Foaming Facial Wash

Apply Physioderm Nurturing Toner

Apply Oily Skin moisturizer (I got this at a Burke Williams Spa)

At night is the same routine. I was told not to use benzoyl peroxide or sycillic acid because it was too harsh on my skin (and I have tried both of those.)

Every couple of days I use a mint julep mask and, starting last week, I've started applying Glycolic acid peel. I've only done it one time so there really hasn't been a change.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Hi CKitty,

It looks to me like you have what would be described as moderate inflamed acne on your chin/mouth area, more on the severe side of the spectrum than the mild side, but absolutely treatable. I had acne that was at its worst fairly comparable to yours and it responded really well to the Acne.org regimen, which I've been doing for over 3.5 years now (and started when I was your age, 20).

I know you've been told not to use benzoyl peroxide and haven't had luck with it in the past, but I have to say, using benzoyl peroxide has been the only thing to keep my inflamed acne under control. (It also didn't work for me as just a spot-treatment or in the Proactiv system, so I had reason to be suspicious of it too.) The key is to let that benzoyl peroxide be the only possible source of irritation and to otherwise be very gentle with your skin: no harsh scrubs, no peels, no drying masks, lots of moisturizer to deal with dryness, and sunblock during the day to protect your skin from damage. You use only a tiny bit of it to start with, and then gradually increase the amount so that your skin can handle more of it without adverse dryness or redness. After a while of using a fairly large amount of BP, you've killed most of the acne bacteria and they don't have a chance to reproduce because you're using it regularly, so you don't get inflamed bumps very often. Once you've adjusted to the BP, you can also add in alpha hydroxy acid or salicylic acid lotions to help exfoliate and deal with non-inflamed acne.

I think all the exfoliation and peeling you've been doing isn't really the right approach for your kind of acne. Those treatments make sense for people whose primary skin issue is non-inflamed acne like blackheads and whiteheads, since the exfoliation helps unblock clogged follicles. You look to have inflamed acne as your primary issue, though, so that means you'll need to be doing something that deals with the bacterial overgrowth, which is why an antibacterial treatment like BP would be more appropriate. Other options I can think of for inflamed acne would be oral or topical antibiotics (Rx only) or Accutane (super mega Rx only). Birth control pills might help or might make it worse (and sadly it's hard to predict which will be the case). There aren't really any other decent over-the-counter treatments for inflamed acne besides BP.

Anyway, just some things to think about!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! this morning i used my Clean and Clear Acne Wash with 10% BP, I haven't used it in a while because I was trying other products. Is this a good choice of a BP product, or do you have something else to recommend?

Thanks so much for the suggestions! this morning i used my Clean and Clear Acne Wash with 10% BP, I haven't used it in a while because I was trying other products. Is this a good choice of a BP product, or do you have something else to recommend?

Gosh, I must have used dozens of different medicated acne washes, probably even that same Clean & Clear 10% BP wash, and none of them ever helped my acne much. I think this is because the active ingredients are rinsed off your face right away, so they dry your face up but aren't on long enough to have a more lasting anti-acne effect on your skin. I know some people with very mild acne who have had washes be enough for their skin, but for the rest of us, something that is left on the skin for longer periods of time is going to have more of an effect. That's why I'd stop looking at cleansers and scrubs for the solution altogether (just use something mild, non-drying, and unmedicated, like Cetaphil, Purpose, or the Acne.org cleanser) and focus more on something like a leave-on 2.5% or 5% BP treatment. Start with this page about the Acne.org regimen, read all the instructions and advice carefully, and you'll see recommended products that are sold in drugstores (that you might already have) or online.

Oh and one more thing: since it sounds like you've been using glycolic peels recently and have been scrubbing your skin a lot, I'd let your face have some chillax time before you start with a BP routine (or any other medicated treatments). Only use a gentle mild liquid cleanser and moisturize for maybe like 4 or 5 days (or as long as you need) to recover from being irritated from those previous treatments before you dive in to something new.

I would really recommend using Purpose Gentle Cleanser :]

I think it's definitely one of the main reasons I've stopped breaking out and why my skin is staying so clear.

I would also recommend acne.org benzoyl peroxide [or I guess any 2.5% BP] and their AHA.

AHA is really good for evening out your skin tone and a good exfoliator in general since it helps or encourages new skin cells to grow..idk lol but you can read all about it at the Store link.

Oh but if your skin is really sensitive I wouldn't recommend it often because it could make your skin really red and irritated if you use it too much.

Just suggestions though.

<3

Cool, thanks. I think I'll order the acne.org regimen starter kit and try it. I don't think it will hurt. One last question, will it help control oil at all? My skin is very oily.

Thanks

CKitty,

My skin has looked similar to yours on and off for a few years, and with the acne has come extremely oily skin. For a while, I was on Clean/Clear 10% BP gel, which, while I didn't find particularly irritating, didn't seem to get absorbed very well. (When I moisturized afterwards, it would ball up and get really nasty.) I've tried Cetaphil moisturizers, and while pretty good, gave me really oily skin right off the bat at the beginning of the day...

I have recently (5 days) been using the whole Acne.org line, cleanser, BP, and moisturizer. I've found it all to be extremely accommodating, and the combination has been really great for my acne and my skin's oil production. I used to have to rinse and blot my face off every three hours or so because my skin was producing so much oil, but the last few days I've barely noticed oil on my face at all. My acne seems to be getting a lot better too, but of course only time will tell.

Sooo, those are the results, here's some tips:

Do not pick at your skin. I know it sucks, I know it's hard, but if you live with the whitehead for a day your skin will reward you by healing sooo much faster. I saw the pictures and noticed that when you wake up, there are some whiteheads, and by the end of the day, they're gone, but remain red. That was exactly what happened with me, cause I would take bathroom breaks at work and go and pick at it... if you're not picking, fantastic, but if you are, breaking the habit helps a huge amount with acne. check out

Use the right product, be diligent. The Regimen that's posted all over this site, (cleanse, BP, moisturize,) is great if you get the right product. I highly recommend, though I know it's hard to trust some random person on a message board, the Acne.org brand. The stuff works, is light, and feels great. (and it's cheap by comparison.)

Like I said, I've only been using the Acne.org stuff for 5 days, but I already love it just because of the way it makes my skin feel, and the oil decrease.

~ike

Either use Dan's Acne.org regimen or accutane, since you say your not suppose to use BP accutane may be best, you should most likely qualify but it seems like your really doing more harm than good to your face, you are irritating it with all the scrubs and washes.