Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cupcake_lacayo5204

Please advice is needed ?Why is it when I used to be fat I hardly broke out?

In high school I wasnt overweight just a little chubby, I lost almost 20 lbs between my junior and senior year . When I was fatter my skin was fine, hardly wore any makeup, only broke out once a month during my cycle, and woulod use things like bp to spot treat neutrogena and clean and clear. Then my mom bought me proactiv druting my sophomore year and at first it was great, then after about a year to two years my skin was not clearing , I would get under the skin flare ups around my chin , and there would be nothing in it, (this was senior year) so as I went into college I have been battling my skin, I stopped proactiv, and did laser treatments which helped somehat but were expensive. As stopped my skin healed a little and I started researching going the natural route which my skin looked how it used to. But now my skin is off and on I dont know what days will be good and what days will be bad.

My situation now is I eat healthy, carbs tend to trigger acne but I dont understand if before in high school i used to eat junk alot and I would never break out. Iwent to the derm he gave me antibiotics and retin a micro, I didnt use bc I dont think topical chemicals will be good for my acne. I use witch hazel. lemons, olive oil, coconut oil, vitamin b complex supp. zinc , chromium. I really dont know what to do?

My ?? ARE:

Why when I was fatter and ate junk my skin looked better?

Good proactiv been the underlying cause of my acne from mild/occassional pimples to nodules and whiteheads that Im battling now?

Anyone have any advice? I dont know if I should go back to things over the counter but I try to stay away from sodium laurly sulfate which might make things worse, Im not sure?

I dont want to go on bc pills but shud I see an endocrinologist to test my hormone levels?

Any other advice?

I've removed the identical thread that you posted from boards.

There is no need to cross-post on these boards; all it does is create clutter and make threads hard to follow.

If you have any questions in the future, please only start ONE thread about them.

Again, there is no need to cross-post on these boards; all it does is create clutter and make threads hard to follow.

Many of our users use the 'View New Posts' option, so they'll see this thread no matter which board it's posted on.

Acne starts a different periods of peoples lifes. I wouldn't make such a strong connection with you when you were younger.

When i was younger i ate shit/ did fuck all and i was fine. I think its just how we've matured etc. good luck n all ;)

like you i also was on proactive, which seemed to keep my skin pretty okay but not clear so i got off of it, once i got off of it thats when i started breaking out really badly.

why dont you want to go on birthcontrol? i just started it and so far i really like it. i guess its not for everyone but id recommend it. so far for me its been pretty good.

The birth control 2 things:

weight gain which I really dont want

bc is extra estrogen or synthetic hormone, if have excess estrogen in my b ody then my face could get worse, but if I have excess androgen then it could get better. So thats why Idk where I get tested?

I was quite overweight ever since I moved to the U.S. until the end of middle school. that's exactly when acne kicked in. I don't know why this is..

Body fat does effect hormones, for one. How long since you changed your diet? What's your diet like now? What about exercise, sleep and stress?

You could try getting your hormones checked, although odds are you will be told they are in the 'normal range.'

My diet has been the same for the past 3 years as I ate better--acne got worse? Weird, I dont know if proactiv contributed entirely to my acne going from mild to nodules here and there that just pop up and I cant pop there just red hard bumps.

Hmm, this is pretty interesting situation. Well, Maybe their could be a possible between the rapid weight loss? SOmetimes, our bodies will have extreme reactions when we radically change a routine. Whether it be sleep, what we eat, excercise etc.. Your body will let you know in some form. I'm guessing this is what happened here. Your body was so use to all the junk food and extra weight, that once you decide to stop cold turkey and started eating right and loosing the pounds; your body just went into shock.

Now, your acne will get worse before it gets better. So, maybe that explains the possible link between proactive and your skin. Just make sure your drinking plenty of fluids (Especially water) so your body can flush all those toxins through your kidneys and so on. I have gone natural, in the way of fighting acne (vitamins) and it extremely cheaper and way more beneficial to your body.

Also, it is very likely that birth control could also have something to do with it. Anytime you mess with your hormones artifically, their are going to be some sideeffects..

Just don't get down. Just make sure your eatting right, drinking water, excerciseing, socializing with friends and keeping up with the acne routine even if your skin starts looking worse.

The weight didnt fall off over night I just started making small changes and ppl would notice and say hey youve lost weight u look skinnier, but I didnt notice bc I see myself everyday until my pants were falling off of me. So it was a process from about 11th grade continued now---3rd year in college. It is just so frustrating bc I really like trhe natural route, but its very difficult trying to find the root of the problem whether its hormone or diet and what I put or dont put on my face--including cleansers and toners and makeup :wall: Any insight would help lighten my mood.

I don't think there's a relation between your weight loss and your increase in acne. It is more likely that you're now eating something that is affecting your skin; small incremental changes in your diet can help you determine what the offender might be.

I know more large to very large people with acne than without. I'm in the minority; a person prone to breakouts who is of normal BMI. I have minimal inflammatory lesions if I completely avoid MILK. Milk alone, not cheese, not breads, not carbs, nothing but plain old milk. One of my larger friends breaks out if she eats hrm, a certain kind of nut, I don't remember what it was. I can't eat peanut butter, either, except in very small quantities or within a week I'll develop one or two inflammatory lesions. It's all a matter of finding what works for you. It can be semi-to very frustrating at times, I know. :)

'Chemicals' aren't all bad. Water is a chemical. 'All-natural' products are chemicals. All-natural doesn't mean better. Poison ivy is all natural. So is tea tree oil, and it (and aloe vera!) can cause dermatitis reactions similar to poison ivy on susceptible people.

Retinoids are terrific for clearing the skin and removing sun damage. Antibiotics for acne I don't like one bit, unless someone has severe, nodular, cystic acne that needs to be treated short-term with an antibiotic to get over the worst of the infection and inflammation.

The weight didnt fall off over night I just started making small changes and ppl would notice and say hey youve lost weight u look skinnier, but I didnt notice bc I see myself everyday until my pants were falling off of me. So it was a process from about 11th grade continued now---3rd year in college. It is just so frustrating bc I really like trhe natural route, but its very difficult trying to find the root of the problem whether its hormone or diet and what I put or dont put on my face--including cleansers and toners and makeup :wall: Any insight would help lighten my mood.

As Wynne said, everything is made of "chemicals," so "all-natural" doesn't necessarily mean it's better than a synthesized drug. There's a relevant article by Paula Begoun at http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-fact...-allergies.aspx which goes into depth about natural products.

If you're taking a birth control pill, you'll only stay clear as long as you keep taking it. Since you seem wary of chemicals, I'm surprised you would use BCP before trying a topical like BP or that prescribed retinoid (I'm guessing the antibiotic was to get you through the possible "initial breakout" phase of the RAM treatment). BCPs are anything but natural, and can have serious side effects. I'm not saying you shouldn't use it if you want to, though; I used the pill for several years. It didn't cause me to gain any weight, but it had no effect on my acne and it did negatively effect my moods (I was more cranky and emotional... i.e. randomly would burst into tears.... I felt really great when I stopped taking BCP). My doc said recently, though, that some vitamin B supplements can help your moods when taking BCPs... you might wanna ask your doctor about good supplements if you decide to go with the pill.

Topicals when combined with a professional esthetician and dermatologist can give you great results (and they can give you specific advice about what products you're using e.g. makeup, face wash, etc. and whether it is a potential aggravator to your acne)... if you are willing to get over the initial hurdles that may come along with most topicals (i.e. the "dreaded initial breakout"). However, if you're lucky enough to stay clear on BCPs, just remember that if you don't plan to stay on them long-term, they may not really be an effective solution. If retinoids (which are vitamin A derivatives) work for you, they also reduce wrinkles and make your skin more smooth, as they actually change the chemistry of your skin; they can be a long-term solution if you use them faithfully.

Of course, everyone is different... That's really why seeking a dermatologist's opinion can be quite valuable in your quest to clear skin. Just make sure you're vocal about your concerns when you talk to them; if you're really unsure about topicals, for example, they might recommend prescription supplements you can take (e.g. nicomide) instead.

I know one vitamin that has extremely helped my face is "Flaxseed oil". i think it seriously helped in getting to the point, where I"m at today. If you decide to pick some up, I would go to GNC and not Wally~World.

Also, I would make the suggestion of starting to keep a daily food log and then post it on here.

You could have begun eating more of something you have an intolerance for. Or your diet may not be as healthy as you think. What you want is a blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet which does not contain anything you have an intolerance for.

But also, hormones and enzymes that convert hormones to other hormones are stored in fat and could have been released as you gradually lost weight. And depending on where the fat is, it can be a source of inflammation. So there's a number of weighs body fat effects acne.

My situation now is I eat healthy, carbs tend to trigger acne but I dont understand if before in high school i used to eat junk alot and I would never break out.

If you study history, you find that what foods are called "junk" and which are called "healthy" varies widely over time and is rarely based on any good science (it's very hard and expensive to do good science when it comes to nutrition and disease). For example, in recent years there's been a fad to blame widespread health issues on "high-fructose corn syrup". In fact, however, most soft drinks are less "high-fructose" than many fruits. Thus, someone who has symptoms caused by a mechanism like fructose malabsorption might switch from eating "junk" like Coke to eating "healthy" foods like apples and pears -- and then be puzzled to find their symptoms are worse.

I've never been in bcp and I don't plan to- I don't like messing with hormones already what they r. Umm I also have low blood sugar if that helps at all I will post a food log as well to monitor what I'm eating , I'm planning to buy almond milk for the first time see how that goes hope it tastes decent . Umm I will try flaxseed, what kind of acne did u have that benefited from it. My routine of skincare involves taking fiber capsules, acidophilus, b complex, zinc, sometimes omega 3's, chromium spread throughout the day. I don't wash my face in the morning when it looks at it's best . After work in the evening I use olive oil and witch hazel to clear makeup residue off my face and then at night use vitamin e oil to rub in straight from the capsule. I'm using aczone in small spots testing it out that is by sisters prescription by acne is persistent though I never know when I'll have a good day or break out the next . Using chemicals and otc cleansers contain harsh chemicals that just destroy the acid mantle is strip the skin of it's natural oils causing oil glands to produce more. Especially sodium laureth sulfate and bp make skin worse and don't help the skin . That's why I look for brands such as Aubrey organics, beauty without cruelty, burts bees, and others that use ibgrediants without harsh added chemicals or irritants .

Moderately-Severe to answer your question and I take 3 capsules in the morning and 3 at night before bed. Yeah, I'm cutting out milk aswell and I think i'm already starting see some results already. Almond milk? Never heard of it but I guess its worth a try. I wonder how soy milk would affect someones skin. Anywayz, yea I like your view on topicals.. They kind of fluctuate skin tone, or atleast thats my experience.

Also, I would take a really good multivitamin but thats just me. Offcourse, I don't know if theirs any sideffects that would transpire from taking all the above your currently takeing. LIke I mention, GNC is a great place and has really helpful staff.

My situation now is I eat healthy, carbs tend to trigger acne but I dont understand if before in high school i used to eat junk alot and I would never break out.

If you study history, you find that what foods are called "junk" and which are called "healthy" varies widely over time and is rarely based on any good science (it's very hard and expensive to do good science when it comes to nutrition and disease). For example, in recent years there's been a fad to blame widespread health issues on "high-fructose corn syrup". In fact, however, most soft drinks are less "high-fructose" than many fruits. Thus, someone who has symptoms caused by a mechanism like fructose malabsorption might switch from eating "junk" like Coke to eating "healthy" foods like apples and pears -- and then be puzzled to find their symptoms are worse.

The amount of fructose in HFCS varies and manufacturers rarely say how much is in their products. But it doesn't matter because you don't want any sugary drinks. And sure, excessive amounts of apples or any other blood sugar spiking diet habit will make your symptoms worse. Always combine sugar sources with fiber, fat and protein.

Don't forget, correlation doesn't mean causation; just because you lost weight does not necessarily mean getting acne was a consequence. Most people get acne randomly at any given time growing up and unfortunately for a lot of them, they will rationalize a cause that explains it.

BeautifulPerseverance619-

is there a reason you take flaxseed oil pills instead of fish oil?

Can anybody tell me the difference between the two? And which seems to work better?

I don't think there's a relation between your weight loss and your increase in acne. It is more likely that you're now eating something that is affecting your skin; small incremental changes in your diet can help you determine what the offender might be.

Greetings.

Strangely enough, I have had acne and I've been skinny my entire life.

My entire body had definition - 6-pack, ripped pectorals, etc.

This doesn't mean I looked like he-man. I looked like skeletor.

I was skinny, but not anorexic. My metabolism was in overdrive (and it still seems to be).

Right around 23, I started eating right, regular meals - 3 a day.

I started eating burgers, and everything that I could ever want to eat. Every craving I had, I satisfied. Previous to this stage, I did not eat anything at all except organics, whole grains, vegetables, lean meats, etc.

I believe the body needs fats and simply avoiding them can lead to stress, which triggers acne.

When the body has a little extra weight to it, it establishes a balance between meals.

It might be helpful to consider that being slightly overweight is a great deal more healthy than being at the perfect weight, or slightly below the ideal weight.

Changing diet can definitely trigger stress.

Needless to say, I cleared up with Dan's regimen and eating regularly.

Now, instead of looking like skeletor with no meat on my bones, I actually have muscles, and actually, I still have my six-pack of abs (but they look more "filled in").

I'm 27 right now, and I feel and look better than I have before (when I was stressing about my diet, using various oral medications, topical medications, etc. to rid my acne...).

Edited by jarrit