Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Highway_to_Hell

Need Accutane Advice.

Ok guys, I need help from you. I was precribed Accutane yesterday I'm going to use it, but I'm so scared of that break out thaT occurs at the beginning. How much does that break out last and is it bad? I hope Accutane will help me, but I'd like to know will it be worse than before at the beginning and for how long. Please guys, I'd appreciate it very much.

First thing first, you have to believe that in Accutane as a miracle :) Sounds funny but true. Sometimes the belief itself is a positive add-in factor to any kinda treatment :)

Secondly, NOT everyone breaks out :) Believe me, you will fall in the lucky group :)

Thirdly, if a breakout happens, it's gonna quite fast thanks to the support of Accutane. My breakout started this week's Tuesday and (touch wood, touch wood, touch wood) all of them are almost healed now. Believe me all of them are huge cysts and normally without Accutane, it's gonna take at least 10 days to be back to normal :)

I'd say an initial breakout commonly lasts anywhere from 6-10 days on average. At least that's what happened with me, and I'm finishing my first month, and everything is starting to clear right up. Good luck with your course!

Im on day three and Im sprouting whiteheads all over the place. But my Bacterial infection is going away really quick, and Ive been battling that for over a month with antibiotics

An IB is very common for basically any acne medication. It's safe to assume you will get one, although some people don't have one. You might be pleasantly surprised, then. Mine started exactly two weeks in and lasted for about two weeks. It was bad, but I knew I had to get through it before the good stuff started happening. Also, I was fooled into thinking I wouldn't get an IB as my skin cleared up in the first few weeks before my IB. It's hard to know, but just remember that it's necessary for your skin to purge. It has to happen, and doing it while you're still breaking out is better than a few months down the road when you have clear skin.

when on roaccutane i never had the initial breakout. i don't beleive everyone has. Just keep it off your mind and concentrate how good your skin will look at the end.

You may not get an initial breakout. I went right into 80MG per day and only had one or two breakouts the entire six months. If I recall correctly the first two months were just continuous inprovements.

2nd course here......didn't have initial breakout in either one. In fact, my face cleared within the first 2 weeks and stayed clear the entire 1st course. Not everyone gets an IB.

I think it also depends on your dosage - a lot of derms these days are prescribing a lower dose for the first month and then progressing to a full dose for the patient's weight throughout the rest of the 5 months. I'm on 40 now and will switch to 80 for months 2-6. Supposedly this makes the initial breakout and side effects less intense. So ask your derm about that maybe.

Some people don't have an IB, but I would just assume you'll have one just to be prepared for the worst. I'm definitely having one =/ It started on Day 7 and is going strong on Day 14. It feels like forever but....Good luck!

It's been 8 days since I started using Accutane and they are fading away. I had little breakout for 3 days maybe on the 3th, 4th and 5th day. It was 4 little zits, so it wasn't bad at all. I hope it stays that way.

However, thank you guys very much.

Looks like I was fooled I'm not getting IB too. :) Because it's been 3 weeks now and the IB started yesterday, just after my skin started to get clear.

@ MissAngie

Seems like that's my case. I know the skin has to purge, so I'm staying calm. :)