Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was eating dinner today and out of the blue my mother deicdes to point out my scars to my whole family. I knew that they were there but still, after hearing her comments tonight, I feel sick. I have moderately severe acne and am on my first month off Accutane but I'm starting to think 'what's the point' if I'm just going to have these ugly scars all over my face even after the acne's gone.

Don't despair. :) Things can be difficult to deal with from time to time but it's not a good idea to give in to depressed feelings, ok? Easier said than done, I know. But try to have a positive attitude.

Remember; just because you have a few scars, doesn't mean you can't live a full life. It's true. :)

Maybe it's a good idea to tell to your mother that you felt awkward at dinner?

Was she being downright nasty about it or was she just curiously concerned? Sometimes people don't realize how sensitive we are to the subject, especially family members (specifically parents).

As for remaining on Accutane, you'll just have to ask yourself what you'd rather have: active acne or the possibility of no acne, but scars instead? Both suck, but those are the two choices you have so ya might as well make the best of it no matter which one you choose, y'know?

Also, do you mean dented/pitted scars or hyperpigmentation marks? The marks will fade quickly after your course. There are treatments for scars when your skin has returned to its normal state. You'll get through this and it'll get better. :) Just hang in there.

How rude! Hopefully your mother didn't do that intentionally. Don't worry, you are young and a lot of the hyperpigmentation marks will get better and resolve over time. Think positive. Soon the accutane will get rid of your acne in a few months and then give it another few months and a lot of your marks will start to fade away. Soon your acne will clear up to the point where just one measley pimple will make you upset when it use to have more =)

I don't think your mother meant to intentionally hurt your feelings... I don't know what kind of person she is so I can't say that without knowing for sure. But my mother has done things like that, too, and while it hurts, she was just stating the facts. They are there. It's just a fact :shrug:

I'm sorry, though. It sucks. :comfort:

:(

Hang in there! For many people, the skin smooths out and the scars fade with Accutane. I know it seemed insensitive of your mother but I doubt she did it to to embarass you. She may be unaware of how sensitive you are about your skin. Just let her know that it embarrassed you, I bet she won't do it again.

Mothers always do that. I'm sure there are some that don't, but I know we can all remember our mothers doing something that made us say "Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm stop!" Maybe she doesn't know that acne is a sensitive topic for you. Let her know it's embarrassing and she will listen.