Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jellycandy

Can acne bacterium gain Benzoyl Peroxide Resistance?

Hi guys! I am new here just started on the regimen 2 weeks ago for mild acne breakouts on my cheeks. I have seen it get worse in week 1, and improve in week 2 :dance: . However my skin has become way too dry/flaky/discolored so I am considering taking a break for a week to give my skin a chance to recover. At the moment I have a layer of dark, dead, dry skin which I'm waiting to peel off naturally (I'm scared of exfoliating in case I aggravate my skin). However I am concerned that if I stop using BP the stronger acne bacterium that survived the treatment so far will come back and multiply with resistance to BP. Is this possible?

I know that BP ad 2 effects - drying/oxygenating and antibacterial.

Obviously the oxygenating effects will always be present and therefore effective.

However, the antibacterial properties - can acne gain a resistance to that?

From the FAQs:

Q: Will my skin become resistant to the beneficial effect of BP?

A: Propionibacterium Acnes (P. Acnes), the bacteria in acne lesions, can not survive in the presence of oxygen. BP creates oxygen. Therefore, it is physically impossible for this bacteria to develop a resistance. If the Regimen works at first, it should always work.

My understanding is that BP's antibacterial activity is a consequence of its oxygenating properties and not the result of some other chemical process, so bacterial resistance should never be an issue.

BP is a funny subject. The thing about BP is these proactive and acne.org type of regimens don't really know how to use it right. The skin on different parts of the face are responsive to different percentages of BP for instance if you put 2.5% BP around your forehead and under your eyes it is going to dry out bad because that is the sensitive area of the face. If you put the same 2.5% BP on your cheeks and chin it does nothing to combat the acne there because the skin is tougher.

BP has to be used, yes along with other stuff. Don't over use BP because what will happen is your acne will appear less because the skin is dried out so it appears smaller, but it really isn't getting into some of those pores.

AHA helps BP get into thicker type pores and down into the roots.

The best way to go is to use Skintek spherical cleanser before bed and put spots of BP on the pores that really need them. Maybe a 2.5% light rub around the t area and spot with 10% on sebaceous and other type pores.

Wake up, use Skintek daily micro exfoliator and put some truly oil-free Skintek moisurizer + SPF 30 on for the day.

Try that for two weeks and I think you'll see your acne really clear up.

And remember, boys are lucky, we outgrow acne eventually, but girls never do. So take care of your skin boys and girls and try to find a professional who really knows from experience and science what is best for your skin.

And remember, boys are lucky, we outgrow acne eventually, but girls never do.

is this true?? then when would be a "outgrowing acne" time?? cuz i watched one of dan's video where he got new zit...and he isnt certainly in young age, some people that are in 30s get zits too... help me for more info plz

BP is a funny subject. The thing about BP is these proactive and acne.org type of regimens don't really know how to use it right. The skin on different parts of the face are responsive to different percentages of BP for instance if you put 2.5% BP around your forehead and under your eyes it is going to dry out bad because that is the sensitive area of the face. If you put the same 2.5% BP on your cheeks and chin it does nothing to combat the acne there because the skin is tougher.

BP has to be used, yes along with other stuff. Don't over use BP because what will happen is your acne will appear less because the skin is dried out so it appears smaller, but it really isn't getting into some of those pores.

AHA helps BP get into thicker type pores and down into the roots.

The best way to go is to use Skintek spherical cleanser before bed and put spots of BP on the pores that really need them. Maybe a 2.5% light rub around the t area and spot with 10% on sebaceous and other type pores.

Wake up, use Skintek daily micro exfoliator and put some truly oil-free Skintek moisurizer + SPF 30 on for the day.

Try that for two weeks and I think you'll see your acne really clear up.

And remember, boys are lucky, we outgrow acne eventually, but girls never do. So take care of your skin boys and girls and try to find a professional who really knows from experience and science what is best for your skin.

First off, hundreds, if not thousands of people, have had wonderful success using The Regimen. BP is very effective, actually. It sounds to me like your post is more about advertising Skintek products that offering any actual information about BP.

And, for the record, there are lots of men that never grow out of acne, and lots of women who do. Please don't spread misinformation. Doing so is a disservice to our community.