Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman

StarLux 1540 Fractional Laser issue

Hi guys,

I've had one treatment with non-ablative Starlux-1540 laser so far, but even after 10 days the redness hasn't subsided. My skin complexion is darker (I'm a young male of southeast asian descent). Does that play a role? Any idea how long it usually last if that's the case? I'm really worried and has held off the subsequent procedures for now (three in total). I wish I had the procedure done with a more experienced physician. I only had moderate acne scaring on my cheeks and forehead. Will the follow-up procedures increase the recovery process as I've been told? It sounds odd to me and I'm afraid. Thanks for any help.

Hi there.

I'm on day 18 of my first starlux 1540 treatment at 85mj and still red/pink. Everyday getting better.

Don't believe in the "3 day downtime" with lasers, this doesnt exist (only in very low settings)

I'm caucasian by the way.

if you have dark skin prepare it, use everyday, bleaching creams. like hydroquinone (your doctor should have told you)

best wishes!

Thanks a lot for the reply. I truly appreciate it. I wish I had found this board a little sooner. It's really my fault for not doing more research. But my doctor should also have been more helpful and forthcoming with info. In fact I was told that I'll be able to go to work the next day. It seems laughable now. In any case, I've been hiding in my own home. Have had to quit my job, etc. It was just bad timing. I will ask about the bleaching cream or something that'll speed up the process when I visit Monday. They did gave me a "medical facial" with some microderm that helped a bit but not much. Should I go for the second treatment before the redness from the first one subsides? That's what I've been contemplating. Have made appointments with a couple other dermatologists to get their opinion but as you know it's not easy to find anyone right away. Please keep in touch. Thanks again.

oh man

don't quit your job because of that!

i'm supossing you're a man.

I use make-up to hide the redness, it's the only way I found. And i'm a guy too. Make-up can be applied in day 4 with ALMOST perfection, but the dots and lines of the procedure still show up.

Redness will occur with any treatment. Your skin type is more prone to pigmentation issues, so your doctor should help you on that! Altought erbium lasers are better than co2 for people with this skin type :)

Ask about prevention of hyperpigmentation with your derm

best wishes!

ps: you derm probably has the Machine called Starlux 500 which comes with the handpieces of starlux 1540 and starlux 2940(ablative laser), you can ask for it. for more dramatic results. But remember, more risky(scarring, hypo and hyperpigmentation)! Actualy, with darker skin types, laser treatments are a problem.

Thanks again for the reply.

Yeah, it was a painful decision to leave my job, but I'm very self-conscious (proven by my idiocy to jump into laser treatment) and didn't want to deal with anything, especially from the people I knew.

Yep, I'm a guy, so makeup wasn't something I thought of initially but may have to consider it now, for now. Any specific recommendations? :redface:

I use only liquid base.

There's pleny of tons of liquid base, in the store they probably let you test products for your skin tone. x)

Could be embarrasing, I know. But relax :D

AND GET YOUR JOB BACK! HAHA

Are they non-comedogenic? Needless to say, I don't want to do any harm right now.

And when are you scheduled for your second treatment.... are you also waiting for the redness to go down? I'm scheduled to go on Wednesday but like i said I'm not sure right now and want to get other opinions before doing anything.

My treatments are scheduled 1 month apart.

I'm still pink/red in some areas. It's gonna be 21 days post-treatment tomorrow. But i don't worry, redness always fade.

The make-up i use don't break me out. But there's a lot os brands.

Talk to your derm, or switch to another derm. Sure he'll advice you on the best aprroach to your scars x)

Funny enough, I got a call today from the center now telling me that my appt for the second treatment, that was scheduled for Wednesday, has been cancelled since I was still experiencing the redness. And all of a sudden I'm told that it takes "2-4 weeks" for it to go away. I wish someone told me that prior to my first treatment. Unbelievable. I'll still go for a checkup tomorrow (could've gone today) for some assistance. I've appointments with 2 other derms on August 10 and 11. Even if the redness subsides, I probably won't go for a second treatment right now. I simply can't afford to sit around... :unsure:

Thanks for you help. Keep in touch and feel free to update me with your status here if you like.

Okay, so I went for a checkup yesterday. Was given hydrocortisone U.S.P. 1% to use for the redness. Is that better than using a bleaching cream which contains hydroquinone? Is using hydroquinone dangerous at all in any way?

Hydroquinone isnt dangerous. Could be irritating.

Alpha-Arbutin is less irritating and more powerfull.

You could go to a manipulation pharmacy and ask for:

Alpha-Arbutin 3%

AA2G 2%

Alpha-Bisabolol 1%

gel

Alpha arbutin and AA2g(vitamin C) helps decreases melanin production, like hydroquinone.

Bisabolol is anti-inflamatory.

I use this combination everyday.

It's important for people who has dark skin to use hydroquinone or bleaching creams during this laser treatments.

About hydrocortisone.. I never used, my derm prescribed Desonide, which is steroid too, but i haven't used because steroids can limit collagen production. :)

But i'm sure it helps redness.

yep.

She told me that the 2940 can be used to scar corretion, BUT is used more for wrinkles.

So to be on the safe side she prefer sticking with non-ablative for scars, and me too.

Sorry to hear that. But good luck with the second treatment. Your derm seems to know what s/he is doing. :)

I went to see another derm today. Mixed news. He said that the stuff I was given (hydrocortisone 1%) wasn't going to help. He prescribed me Tri-Luma ((fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%, hydroquinone 4%, tretinoin 0.05%). Very expensive and it isn't covered by insurance. But I've bought it and now I'm praying for the best. You were obviously right about hydroquinone. He also said that these lasers aren't really meant for darker colored skin like mine. I wish I was told that by my derm prior to the procedure... ):

oh!

she prescribed this to me too . But i didn't used much, because I was peelling and didn't wanna peel MORE.

But i will use correctly to the next one (if everything went fine etc)

I see. So I'm assuming that you delayed your second procedure...

I've used Tri-luma for 2 days now. No problems so far. I was slacking off with sunscreen indoors but now I have it on all the time. Very important with Tri-luma, I was told. I just hope it works. This has been a nightmare, a long one.

Did my second treatment yesterday.

2-3 passes at 100mj.

Swollen and red right now. Hopefully this settings will give good results :think:

I hate this down time!

good luck with tri luma :D

The first days you will probably peel off, this happens with any retinoid. After this peeling period you will be fine..

Was the derm okay with your redness from the first one and still went ahead or did you clear up in time? I truly hope it gives you good results. :D

Yeah, I started peeling off after two days. I was told that to be expected, you're right. Just hoping that everything will be fine. Have no thoughts about the second procedure. :silenced:

I was just a little pink, and I have very white skin, so pigmentation issues are less likely.

From what I was told, every pass with starlux treat 25% of skin, so I Treated 50% to 75% of my skin Oo. Which scares me a bit, the principle of fractional laser is to leave untreated skin. The two derms said that can do 4 passes, and i saw some people around realself.com who did 4 too. So I'm waiting to see what happens haha.

With this settings there's some points of bleeding, just some dots on my face.

In about 2 weeks I'll start Tri Luma again, to speed the recover of my skin tone, hopefully.

Did you inquire at all if there's any chance the redness will persist for a long time? That's the only thing which concerns me right now. I actually don't mind if there's no improvement with the skin itself. It's only been a week but Tri-luma has made a difference. Hope that continues. :)

I did not.

But hyperpigmentation ALWAYS fade I guess. Just needs time. I was reading some things, and people with dark skin can do non-ablative Erbium lasers, like fraxel, starlux etc. It's recommended to use hydroquinone 4-6 weeks prior to this, tought.

Are you too much red yet?

Oh, I see. That's good news about lasers. But you meant hydroquinone use for 4-6 weeks After the treatment, right?

Since I've started Tri-Luma, the fading process has increased, but I'm still red enough that I don't go out that much. The corners of my forehead are in the worse shape of all. But my cheeks have gotten a lot better. Actually now it looks like I'm wearing some makeup even though I'm not. :redface: