Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mannion

Please help me!

Hello everyone, my name is James, I am 23 years of age and my life is just about ruined at the moment because of my skin.

I had what I'd probably call like mild acne as a teen which carried through into my early 20s and has wordened between then and now (I am 24 in a few weeks time).

Basically a few months ago i got back from travelling SE Asia. When I was travelling around my skin was pretty good. Not perfect, I still had an oily forehead and some spots here and there, but it wasn't really bothering me too much to be honest.

When I got home to the UK my skin very quickly got bad. I flew from New Zealand which was very hot to England which was bloody freezing! My forehead became super oily and tight and I had bad, painful acne on it. I used to get a few painful ones on my cheeks now and then but not too bad and my neck had big inflamed lumps under the skin which were painful with the odd white head here and there. It has since then, over the last few months got worse. I mean half the time it hurts to turn my head, my neck feels disguting and I think it probably hurts but its been constant for soo long my brain doesn't acknowlege what my nerves are saying anymore or something.

I started reading a lot and trying lots of different things as I see most generally do. I followed the regimin from here (but with the closest matched products I could find, importing the stuff from here to the UK was WAY too expensive). After a while of eating well and using BP on my face it has got a lot better. The BP stopped my forehead getting oily through the day and my forehead cleared up, which made me very happy. Later my cheeks followed suit and now usually just have one or two little spots here and there, which to be honest I can live with, they are not that noticable and I am just so grateful that my skin on my face has been kind to me.

But my neck has just continued to get even worse. I'm honestly in so much physical pain all the time, it is unbearable. It does tend to get a lot better for a few days until almost clear, then it comes back really strong again.

Nothing seems to help. I cut out sugar, i stopped drinking alcohol, starting eating better, washing with good soaps for sensitive skin, you name it, nothing is helping. My neck is way too sensitive to put BP near it, it just goes bright red and dry and the acne does not change.

It seems to get a lot better overnight so my neck feels like its healing when i wake up then through the day they grow, everyday. When i have a warm shower and get out they seems to be better too, then within an hour they are full strength again. Anything touching them like my clothes and stuff seems to flare them up so I try to avoid letting my clothes touch my neck as much as possible.

I am at my wits end now, I'm 24 and I want to cry like a baby. It is ruining me, I have no self confidence, I avoid looking at anyone if I can help it. I walk with my head hanging low and my hands in my pockets hoping I don't bump into people I know. I feel so weak and horrible, I pretty much hate myself at the moment.

Part of me is past the point of caring how I look any more, I just want the discomfort and stress it is causing me to go away.

Sometimes I think I look OK and others I don't want to leave the house. The stuff gets itchy as well and I touch it and that makes it worse!!!!

I have been to a derm before who gave me differin cream and tetracycline which didn't help me at all (back when my forehead was bad and everything)

Please help me someone, I don't know what to do with myself.

I feel so pathetic coming here to a bunch of strangers to let all that out, my mum is a great help with trying all kinds of stuff but I worry I am stressing her too because she knows i am so sad.

My face, not too bad now. Not perfect, but I can live with one or two.

Picture014.jpg

I can barely look at these :(

Picture013.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Do not give up hope. I know how acne can get to a person. Trust me i been there and still battling with cyst acne. My forehead is finally clear of cystic acne but the scar is still there. I know it will be abt 3 to 4 mths before i can see any changes. I still hv like 2 or 3 cystic acne on my cheeks. And the scar on my cheek only make me sigh whenever i looked at myself in the mirror. Ur not alone. Theres a lot of ppl who suffered acne.

Anyway since the cream and the antibiotic that was prescribed to u wasnt working, u should go back to the doc. On the other hand, sometimes those medicine will take time to kick in. 7 weeks on doxy n spiro ( Spiro is only for women if im not wrong) my acne finally kinda calm down. I was told by my doc that if those medicine don't work for me, he might put me on accutane. If u go back to the doc, ur doc might prescribed u just that. But always remember this. Sometimes eating those medicine, it just make ur acne get worst before it gets better. With Doxy n spiro i experienced just that. It was really not cool. Everyday i just want to fast forward my life. Acne just take times to heal. Do not pick on those acne coz it will just irritate it more and make it swollen. Good luck.

Hey there, Please take a look at my regimen, maybe there is some info there to help you out.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

K

Hey man,

Firstly Im sorry to hear about the angst that this is causing you, I know how you feel though,

I cant count the amount of dates/work ive missed because of my personal acne situation, ive locked meself away (cant say ive had much help from people either but..)

I was wonder have you tired the following, cos it looks like its just your neck thats affected now,

When your showering if you use shower gel for your body also use it for your neck (dont worry if it has sodium lauryl sulphate in it) I use lynx shower gel meself, (same products are usually available in UK & Ireland (im from the latter) so shouldnt have a problem finding this)

After showering try use a light layer of baby powder over your whole neck area, not too much cos it will make your neck really white looking, but just use a bit, when your going out in the day leave it as it is with a bit of baby powder on it, if you shower at night or are not going out put a decent amount of sudocreme on each spot that needs attention on your neck, this is a cheap solution and it worked for me and others, if you want to try this id appreciate if you let me know how it goes man, were both the same age (ish - im 24) both male and both from similar parts of the globe, if you need any help or having a shit day just let me know, im very familiar with teh scenario (ive just returned to work after a week off, couldnt face going in, had a gigantic blemish on my face from squeezing the life out of a nodule that shouldnt have been squeezed, I know!!!)

Anto.

Thankyou for the replies! I was really quite pissed off when I wrote the original post, thats how it ended up 10 feet long and just random waffle. I read these forums for quite a while before deciding to actually post.

@Anto - I currently wash my face and neck with a really basic soap for sensitive/bad skin and the rest of myself with SLS free shower gel. I also wet shave daily which doesn't cause me any redness or irritation thankfully and seems to prevent my face getting oily too. It also makes me feel a bit better about my appearance being clean shaven all the time because my hari grows thick, dark and fast and I can look scruffy in no time if I don't bother to shave! I then pat dry, wait 10 minutes or so then carefully apply tea tree stuff, wait a little again then use some moisturiser with aloe vera. I do this morning and night (shaving at night only of course!)

All this has really helped my face, it used to be as bad as my neck, my forehead used to get so oily and tight, breaking out all the time, it was actually painful!! Just thinking about how it was is so bad, I'm so glad I seem to have partly solved my problem with the above routine. (If you want the brand names of the stuff I use I can go look)

I now get the odd spot randomly on my face, but never more than like 1 or 2 at a time, so I can deal with that.

In addition, even though my neck is still quite bad as you can see, using the moisturiser does seem to make any areas of skin that are clear on my neck look pretty sweet, I think it is preventing it getting like scabby(for want of a better word) and stopping me getting scarred as a result. I never really get like hard spots I can pick at (I know that sounds gross but I'm sure you can all relate)

I am going to try what you have suggested starting this weekend, I'll try it for a week and let you know what happens man.

After I posted the above my neck really got a lot better the next day, then even better the following day but now I think it is turning bad again. It seems to come and go in waves which is really frustrating, but when I get clear for a day here and there I feel great! I've also noticed that right after showering its much better and when i first wake up too. Odd!!!

Thanks again for your kind replies guys, really ;)

Oh I will also try the other things kindly suggested, one thing at a time.

I have cut nealy all sugar out of my diet already which makes me feel a lot better, whether it helps my skin or not I'm not sure. No sugar in me tea at work, no coke, no chocolate etc etc. Next on the list is cutting out all shitty fast food and anything greasy!

One other thing I want to do for my body and my brain equally is just sit in silence for 10 minutes per day and make sure I sleep for at least 8 hours per night!

Oh I will also try the other things kindly suggested, one thing at a time.

I have cut nealy all sugar out of my diet already which makes me feel a lot better, whether it helps my skin or not I'm not sure. No sugar in me tea at work, no coke, no chocolate etc etc. Next on the list is cutting out all shitty fast food and anything greasy!

One other thing I want to do for my body and my brain equally is just sit in silence for 10 minutes per day and make sure I sleep for at least 8 hours per night!

Good changes. Keep it up. What about exercise? Stress? Also consider if it's an allergic reaction or food intolerance which can start at any time.

Click on the Good Things link in my signature for information on many of the factors that lead to acne and what to do about them.

Thankyou!! I run a lot, I have always been quite big on excersize. My job is quite stressful (I'm a programmer) and I find that running is real "me time" which helps me deal with stress. I also sleep a lot deeper if I run at night because I'm so exhausted when I get to bed.

I have noticed that wearing anything with a collar irritates my neck, like a polo shirt or anything smart. Do you think it may be possbile that I'm allergic to something in washing powder, or maybe even dust or certain types of material, or am I being dumb?!

Lots to read from your signature there, I'm having a look through now!!!!

I have noticed that wearing anything with a collar irritates my neck, like a polo shirt or anything smart. Do you think it may be possbile that I'm allergic to something in washing powder, or maybe even dust or certain types of material, or am I being dumb?!

Is it possible that whoever does your washing (if not urself) is using fabric softner or certain tablets with fabric softner in them, that could be causing it, fabric softner actually acts as a wax when your clothes dry, and it is know to be an irritant to some,