Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AriadnaLoli

How can I get my younger siblings to care more about their skin?

Hello, I'm 16 years old. I have a sister who is fourteen and a brother who is almost twelve. (We must have hit puberty early).

I have finally cleared up with the help of Retin-A Micro, Duac, and minocycline. I only use Retin-A at night and Burt's Bees cleanser now, since my skin has been doing just fine without Duac and minocin for the past seven months.

Anyway, my fourteen-year-old sister has never stuck to anything. She'll only wash her face once or twice a week, and she has to be told to. She says she cares about her acne, but she won't use anything for it. I know I may sound pushy, but I'm worried. Acne really messed with my self-esteem and I have tried so many things and I'm glad it's cleared up now. I want to help her. My sister did at one time use a face wash morning and night and used Benzaclin once a day for two weeks and her face automatically cleared (no initial breakout or anything). She only had zits on her chin area, and if she would have given it another week, her face would have been smooth as butter. Every now and then, she'll wash twice a day like she should and her face will clear up, then she'll stop. And she has to be told to even wash twice a day. :dontgetit: I love my little sister and want her skin to try to care more about her skin. I don't want her to feel like crap like I did and have people make fun of her skin. It hurt me so much to even look in the mirror at times, and she is so outgoing and kind of popular, but I want her to care more about her skin. Does she really not care? It seems as if I care more about her skin than she does, but it's only because I don't want her to ever get to a point of low self-esteem like I did. Can someone offer some insight?

Now, my soon-to-be-twelve-year-old is starting to break out. I asked him to use some lotion with 3.7% benzoyl peroxide in it to help his skin. He replied, "I don't care. I want my skin to be red and bumpy!" :eh: What?! I know he's eleven, but he doesn't seem to care much either. I want them to care, before it gets too hard to control.

How can I make them care? They seem to be so outgoing, but I don't want them to feel ashamed like I did or ever get to that point. Now, that I'm clear, I want to help people as much as possible. Can someone please give me some advice? :)

Guest missyjean130

Some people honestly don't care,so what? I know you love them and are worried,but mentioning their acne the time may GIVE them a complex.

You should,however,mention the possibilities of scarring...since that's a huge deal.

But other then that,leave them be. Once it becomes a problem for THEM,they'll start doing more about it.

missyjean130 - Thank you. I really hope I do not give them a complex, but my sister has had it worse than me, and her skin doesn't seem to scar. My skin was scarred horribly, but now it's much better (almost a 180° turn, since you can still see scars on a camera and in really bright light). Their skin seems really lucky in a sense compared to mine. Once they wash and use gel/cream, it clears right up. I have tried countless treatments for weeks at a time before my Retin-A/Duac/Minocin regimen helped me out.

Today, I approached my sister with a wash that clears her up really well (a mix of Denorex and benzoyl peroxide wash). I said, "Here, this is really good for your skin. You should use it." Is this coming on to badly? I'll give it a rest, and try to only offer help when they seem to actually want it. I'll take your advice and not mention it. I have mentioned scarring, but like I said, their skin my have bad breakouts, but when it clears, there are no scars. It's smooth as butter. My went through only one very bad breakout, and I had moderate scarring. I know the Proactiv Refining Mask and Burt's Bees Blemish Stick works as a great spot treatment for all of us in clearing up zits. Maybe I should leave these around more openly...what do you guys think?

There's only so much you can do. I'm twenty four and have been trying to help my sister (who's sixteen now) with her acne for a couple of years. I've tried telling her not to pick at it, I got her to sign up on this site and start The Regimen (which she still uses, although she half-asses it), I've given her products... But when it comes down to it, there's nothing I can do to make her treat her acne or stop picking. It's her face, and she'll do what she wants with it.

Yes, she has mentioned that her acne make her self-conscious, and it's frustrating for me to know that she feels that way, but isn't doing anything about it despite all the help and advice that I've given her, but, really, there are so many things in this world that are more important than dealing with acne. Especially someone else's acne.

If your siblings want to work on their skin, they will. You just focus on your own stuff. Sometimes just setting a good example is much more effective than actually offering advice.

There's only so much you can do. I'm twenty four and have been trying to help my sister (who's sixteen now) with her acne for a couple of years. I've tried telling her not to pick at it, I got her to sign up on this site and start The Regimen (which she still uses, although she half-asses it), I've given her products... But when it comes down to it, there's nothing I can do to make her treat her acne or stop picking. It's her face, and she'll do what she wants with it.

Yes, she has mentioned that her acne make her self-conscious, and it's frustrating for me to know that she feels that way, but isn't doing anything about it despite all the help and advice that I've given her, but, really, there are so many things in this world that are more important than dealing with acne. Especially someone else's acne.

If your siblings want to work on their skin, they will. You just focus on your own stuff. Sometimes just setting a good example is much more effective than actually offering advice.

Thank you. I kind of get it when I read about you and your sister. She doesn't say it makes her self-conscious, but she says she "cares" if I ask her about her skin. I guess I am pushy, but I was only trying to help. I'll just let it be. Maybe, I'll see a change. But if I don't see any changes or issues, I won't involve myself with their skin issues...unless they need advice. :angel:

STOP right there.

Are you kidding me? (scarring aside) You know what I would give to not care about my acne.... Your actually busting their balls because they don't care and don't over wash/dry their face? You clearly haven't had enough experience in Acne.... Please do not bother your sister/brother with disgusting topical that do nothing else but damage their skin. STOP. Don't even bring up acne to them... please

STOP right there.

Are you kidding me? (scarring aside) You know what I would give to not care about my acne.... Your actually busting their balls because they don't care and don't over wash/dry their face? You clearly haven't had enough experience in Acne.... Please do not bother your sister/brother with disgusting topical that do nothing else but damage their skin. STOP. Don't even bring up acne to them... please

Thank you for your input. But I have had moderate acne since sixth grade (now a junior in high school) so I do know how bad it has affected my self-esteem. I won't even bring it up to them. I'm glad I got these replies since I didn't realize what damage I may possibly be doing. But I do know what it's like to have people say, "Your skin looks bad...are you using anything for it?" and have to reply about trying Proactiv, AcneFree, Clean & Clear, Neutrogena, Bioré, pHisoderm, etc. My self-esteem was extremely low in middle school, and I just don't want them to go through what I had. I felt like shit. I hope things work out for you and everyone on this site (and off) when it comes to this skin condition.