Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachel07

Dairy products

Okay so i have heard so many things about if you have acne you should cut dairy products out of your diet and I am wondering if this is just another myth? Does anyone know the facts? I have heard quite a few people say they are cutting it out of their diet and it even made them clear but what is the truth? Does anyone know?

Ive heard that also, but dairy products dont cause me to get any spots. Maybe it just depends on the person - if it doesnt effect you, i wouldnt worry about it - hope this helps.

I've heard of that before but I don't know.

I was seriously like a milk addict when I was younger though lol but I've stopped drinking milk because it grosses me out now :]

Now all I pretty much drink is water, diet green tea, diet honey green tea, diet flavored water [kinda like crystal light], and iced tea and my skin has gotten way smoother and is pretty much clear..

I think it probably does depend on the person though. I think the more water you drink is better for your skin though because it gets rid of all the toxins in your skin and things like that.

<3

Yeah I have heard that drinking alot of water is good for your skin and I don't drink milk much anymore but I still eat things like cheese and yogurt. I searched everywhere on Dan's site and he said there isn't much research with dairy products and acne so I guess we don't know...

There is a possible link between acne and diary products. Research shows mixed reviews, but there are studies out there that do show a possible link. If you go to pubmed.org and search for dairy and acne you'll find them. I believe it used to be the motto that diet has no effect on acne, but the trend is starting to change a little. For instance, someone else posted this link below of a dermatologist on CBS in which she mentions that dairy and processed sugars can worsen acne. Just remember every one is different and people have different reactions to different foods. I have never noticed a link between dairy and acne in myself personally, but you can try it. If you do though one or two days of no dairy don't really cut it and you need to make sure that you get the calcium and vitamin d that you might be missing out on. By the way the theory is that cow's milk contains low concentrations of hormones that lead to worsening acne. I don't really buy it because i don't really think the concentrations are high enough to make such an effect...but who knows.

I can just tell you right now MILK SUCKS!

It made my acne way worse and when i stopped drinking it i noticed a large difference in my skin.

And to be honest almond milk Tastes good and WONT make you break out:)

Guest missyjean130

I drink only a cup a day.

I don't know if I'd be able to drink more after taking accutane,but I would never risk that.

I used to drink TONS of milk throughout the day like water when I was younger until a health person told my mother that there's a link between it and people with acne. I didn't believe it at first, but I stop drinking for awhile to humor her,and it made a huge difference. Acne was still bad,but lessened up a good margin! I can't really explain it though.

For some people there may be a link. For me, there definitely isn't. I drink tons of milk everyday and do not suffer breakouts because of it. Sure, I've attempted to cut dairy from my diet, but it didn't impact my acne levels at all. The only thing it did was make me feel less energetic throughout the day.

As aLeXeLa said, it depends on the individual. All I can say is, do some testing yourself. Try cutting dairy from your diet for ~2-3 weeks and see if there is any decrease in the number of blemishes you get.

There's about half a dozen ways dairy can contribute to acne. Allergies, lactose intolerance, the IGF-1 it contains, maybe other hormones and maybe the iodine.

You should try avoiding dairy completely for a while to determine if you have an intolerance to it. And then you should try avoiding other common allergens or foods people commonly can't digest.

And even if you aren't intolerant of it, you should limit it because it does contain IGF-1 which is a major factor in acne.

Cutting out dairy definitely helped for me. I first started by cutting out just milk from my diet, which I eventually replaced with soy milk, and that significantly decreased my acne. A year later I realized I need to go all the way and cut out all dairy, because I was still eating alot of cheese and other milk products. It's been about 2 months for me and my skin is clear most of the time, although I do still get pimples, but they are nothing compared to what it used to be. :)