Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sprinter

Is acne really affected by diet?

I know a lot of people have gotten rid of their acne by changing their diet, but is everyone's acne affected by diet? I was thinking about when my skin was most clear, and often times I wasn't eating the healthiest foods. I've actually had more breakouts in the past few months trying to eat healthy than at any other time..

I do eat healthy to look and feel better overall ,but does anyone have solid evidence that diet affects acne?

Hi Sprinter,

I believe there is a strong connection between diet and acne. There was a time that I didn't believe this, but after reading the acne forums and researching I was able to understand the link between acne and diet.

Keep in mind that there is not one diet that will work for everyone. We are all different and certain things will affect us differently. I've been down the path before of trying to eat healthy but my acne didn't get any better. BUT, after understanding how certain foods affect me I am able to eat a diet that will most benefit me.

What I found really helpful and might be a good place for you to start is reading some of the "Important Topics" by SweetJade1980, Lionqueen and others. They have provided alot of good information that may help you.

Best of Luck,

Hope

Yes! In dozens of ways. Your diet is how your body gets nutrients to function. It's not possible for your diet to not effect your skin.

See the Good Things link in my signature for information on the ways diet affects acne and what to do about them.

And there are links under important topics to many clinical studies. There are lists of people who've cleared there skin from diet, myself included.

but is everyone's acne affected by diet?

Absolutely not. My diet yesterday: large 2-hamburger meal at McDonald's with large Coke, turkey club with fries and 2 Cherry Cokes, chocolate snacks, finally followed by medium chocolate sundae at DQ. My face: clear.

If I eat that way with the impaired melatonin cycle I had most of my life, I am guaranteed zits. But if I do the highly inconvenient work required to have a normal melatonin cycle, I can eat pretty much whatever I want. Diet is only an indirect factor in my acne, and that's why trying to cure my acne with diet was always like chasing an illusion.

I've actually had more breakouts in the past few months trying to eat healthy than at any other time..

Eating lots of high-fructose fruits (e.g., pears and apples have higher fructose/glucose ratios than Coke) is a great way to make that happen. When daytime melatonin is not effectively suppressed by being in outdoor light all day, the gut thinks it's sleepy time, carbohydrate malabsorption can be increased, leading to reduced absorption of tryptophan and zinc, a double-whammy for the melatonin chemical cascade that keeps normal people from having acne.

it's not just eating healthy. it's not eating food that aggeravate acne. For me I will not eat Dairy. atleast not pure milk, ice cream or shakes. I can handle small amounts of cheese and bread or what not.

Food affects acne big time..