Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys!

Okay today i got my blood test reports and i am dangerously vitamin D defficient.. !! So i was wondering that it might be the cause of my cystic acne.. since its important for the skin.

I'm gonna start taking it in a day or two, will see how it goes. Anybody here who have seen improvenet by vit D supplements?

There was a lengthy thread last spring on that with one person saying she saw results, but later she came back and announced her acne was a reaction to her skin care products.

D is important in a number of ways, but I don't know that it alone will clear you. And if you aren't getting sun and/or eating lots of D rich foods like salmon, then you need to take 3-4,000 IU to have adequate levels. I had mine tested last fall and my levels weren't low according to that lab, but they were low to people really doing research and recognizing the importance of D. And I got 2,000 IU in my multi plus some sun, plus lots of fish.

Anybody here who have seen improvenet by vit D supplements?

Not me. My acne flourished for years while my D levels were >50ng/ml year round. There is little evidence that Vitamin D cures acne, though there is speculative evidence that seriously deficient people may have trouble absorbing zinc, which could impact acne.

Anybody here who have seen improvenet by vit D supplements?

Not me. My acne flourished for years while my D levels were >50ng/ml year round. There is little evidence that Vitamin D cures acne, though there is speculative evidence that seriously deficient people may have trouble absorbing zinc, which could impact acne.

hmmm.. now i see the connection.. thanks for the info.. I have heard people getting awesome results with zinc, but since i was D defficient the zinc was never absorbed.. You rock! :)

hmmm.. now i see the connection.. thanks for the info.. I have heard people getting awesome results with zinc, but since i was D defficient the zinc was never absorbed.. You rock! :)

IMHO, the actual mechanism for zinc to help requires a difficult-to-acquire normal melatonin cycle. Zinc was never more than a modest decrease in zits in any zinc/acne study dating back to decades in which people got significantly more Vitamin D than they commonly do today, so I would be surprised if you found that Vitamin D + zinc with no other changes produced dramatic improvement.