Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolguy

Does Whey Protein powder cause more acne than other protein powder?

i'm not sure if whey protein is the best choice. i want to start working out again (i stopped going to the gym cus last time i couldn't control my cystic acne) and take whey protein after work outs but i'm afraid it could make it worse. i'm a fairly skinny guy btw. 120 pounds. currently trying to supress my acne with accutane.

I was scared when i first started taking whey protein but for the last 5 months my skin has stayed clear while taking. I mix it with 2% milk and usually have 2 shakes a day. I'm still a slow gainer, but i've put on 12 lbs of muscle in the past 5 months but still got a ways to go to reach goal of 180.

I was wondering the same thing. i have just started working out like the last month, i've found out that my acne is from milk so i quit drinking milk and my face is about 90% better. :dance: i only get about 3 or 4 new bumps a month. so i was wondering if the whey would make me break out if i drink it with soy milk or should i just try a soy protein powder?

hey. thanks guys for replying to my post! i didn't know there was such thing as soy protein powder :S. maybe i'll get that after i finish the whey i'm taking now.

not sure about the rules about posting links to other sites but go to bodybuilding.com they have great prices and have all kinds of articles and products they have whey protein, soy protein, egg protein, a friend was telling me last night that he heard they were coming out with protein powder made from goats milk and most people did not have the allergic problems that they had with whey.

Ive seen no indicattion whey protein causes acne, and milk usually makes me break out

i'm not sure if whey protein is the best choice. i want to start working out again (i stopped going to the gym cus last time i couldn't control my cystic acne) and take whey protein after work outs but i'm afraid it could make it worse. i'm a fairly skinny guy btw. 120 pounds. currently trying to supress my acne with accutane.

Hi! In addition to whey protein powder and soy protein powder, there's also hemp protein powder. Soy in large doses potentially messes with hormones, so I stay away from too much of it, but hemp protein powder doesn't, and it has great amounts of fatty acids, which many people use to combat acne. You can get hemp protein powder at Whole Foods or probably any other health food store.

Here's some quick info on hemp powder:

http://www.myfit.ca/nutrition/hemp_protein.asp

and an excerpt from another online article:

There is a lot of controversy surrounding whey vs. hemp protein. For years, Whey has been tooted for being one of the most bio-available protein source. However, more recently, research has shown that whey protein in not readily digestible by the human body, creates intestinal toxemia and sludge, bloating and may actually increase your waistline. An inefficient intestinal tract reduces amino acid and any other nutrient absorption into your body and cells. Therefore, the more protein you consume, the more it will store in your gut building up and releasing (smelly) toxic waste. And if it's sitting in your gut, chances are, it isn't getting to your muscles. In addition, whey protein powders are laced with a plethora of chemical additives and non-digestible sweeteners in efforts to make the product more palatable.

So what to do?

If you are training hard, a protein supplement is a convenient way to ensure you are receiving adequate amino acids and nutrients for muscle repair and development. But you want to choose a supplement of high quality that is easily digestible and loaded the nutrients and enzymes required for most efficient protein synthesis. One to try: Hemp Protein.

Why Hemp?

1. It's natural - There are no additives, chemicals or toxins that will interfere with absorption or compromise optimal health and nutrition. And the THC is negligible, so there will be no stimulating effects.

2. It's a complete protein - contains all essential amino acids for muscle repair, improved metabolic activity and overall wellbeing.

3. Bio-available - hemp is an easily digestible, plant-based, whole food supplement that is high in enzymes, healthy bacteria and essential fatty acids necessary for muscle growth, recovery and fat burning. Because most hemp proteins are not heat treated (unlike whey), they contain enzymes (electrical charges) which are necessary to synthesize amino acids into new muscle.

Essential Fatty Acids - Hemp protein has the optimal 3:1 ratio of omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids - the fat that actually helps to burn fat. It also contains GLA which is crucial for hormone balancing.

Alkalizing - plant based protein contains chlorophyll and alkalizes your body to help you stay healthy and maintain a healthy PH level.

4. High in fiber and friendly bacteria - controls blood sugar levels, curbs hunger and cravings and helps to eliminate intestinal sludge AND bloating. A healthy and clean intestinal tract results in more effective absorption and nutritional efficiency.

I'm lactose intolerant and milk products give me horrible acne, but I make whey protein shakes with soy milk or water, and it doesn't seem to have an effect on my acne or the lactose intolerance.

wow. thanks for the great info guys!!!!! edgrolvr, i think i will take your advice and look for that hemp protein. THANKS!

Been on hemp protein everyday for about a month. Doesnt make me feel also full and bloated like Muscle Milk did. :)

wow. thanks for the great info guys!!!!! edgrolvr, i think i will take your advice and look for that hemp protein. THANKS!

You're welcome! Good luck with it. :)