Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adultacne27

My new regimen

Ok, so I'm 27/female, and have been seeing dermatologists for acne since around the age of 13. Nothing as of yet has helped, so I'm trying some new things, and hoping that tracking my progress will be the key to finally figuring out exactly how to finally rid myself of acne.

The regimen I currently follow is a cross between Dan's regimen and the Dubrow "Acne Cure":

Morning:

Wash with Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

Treat with Murad Exfolliating Acne Treatment (1% SA and Glycolic Acid treatment) - Leave on for ten minutes, then wash off.

Moisturize with Murad Skin Perfecting lotion followed by Cetaphil 15spf sunscreen (I know it sounds like a lot of moisturizer, but my skin gets super dry from the Glycolic Acid and BP at night)

Night:

Wash with Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

Treat with 2.5% BP (kept cold in the refrigerator)

Wear facial ice pack for 10 minutes

ALSO: I just ordered the BlueMD acne light and I'm SUPER excited about it. I know, I know, a magic blue light that gets rid of all your acne sounds too good to be true, but I've heard good things, so why not? It's got a 30-day guarantee, so I'll post as soon as I integrate it into my regimen.

Moved to the Personal Regimen Logs board. (The Acne.org Regimen Logs board is for people using the Acne.org regimen. While your regimen has similar aspects, it is not the same thing.)

Good luck with your regimen. : )

Ok, so I have to admit that I was more than a little skeptical about trying to use BP again, because I've always had very fair, very sensitive skin. However, even though it's only been a couple of days, this new regimen seems to be working.

It looks as though the key has been the switch from 5% BP (which I had tried--and failed with--before) to a 2% BP. Whether or not keeping it cold has had an impact, I'm not sure...

Ok, so, while the healing time of my acne seems to have sped up, I'm not sure I'm seeing a dramatic decrease in the number of new blemishes. My skin has also become very sensitive. If I had to compare it to something, I would say it feels like having a sunburn, without looking like it.

ALSO! I just got the Trophy Skin blue light and started using it last night. I use it directly after washing my skin (before putting anything else on it) in the morning and before I go to bed.

Here's hoping the blue light works! I'm going to try it for a month to figure out if I'm going to keep it or not.

Ok, so I've been using the Trophy Skin since my last post, as well as the regimen posted before that, and here are my results: It's worse!

I can't figure out how to fix my face! And I'm very frustrated. I have acne galore and my skin is all peeling off too.

Very frustrated. :(

Its ok, we can do this! Have you tried the vitamins everyone is recommending (fish oil and zinc)? And have you checked out the product reviews. Sometime I just think its finding the right product. Granted i am not cured... but i still have things i want to try.

Have you tried just an all natural gentle cleanser and moisturizer and just those? sorry if im askin too much, just curious about your situation. Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement. It's tough not to let the frustration get to you sometimes, but I suppose the trick is to not let it get to you so much that you end up only making your acne worse. To answer your questions, yes, I have tried all of those things: supplements, all natural products (i.e. all holistic/organic, while using no prescriptions), dietary plans, etc. I'm not sure there's anything I haven't tried...and unfortunately none of them have brought me any results.

The best results I have ever gotten have been from oral antibiotics, but I really want to find a solution that doesn't involve chronic antibiotic use.

Also, the combination of BP and the blue light have made my face so dried out and flaky I have had to quit using one, so two nights ago I stopped using the BP.

My current blue light use is almost every day, twice a day (morning and night), right after cleansing, for 20-30 minutes.

Today I'm rather regretting last night, as I picked at quite a few of the blemishes on my skin, and did myself an absolute disservice in doing so. My skin feels very sore and raw today as a result. I have absolutely no idea why I pick at my face when I am wholly aware of the fact that it only worsens the problem. For some reason I find it immediately satisfying...the regret coming shortly thereafter.

I find it very difficult to discourage myself from picking. Could some type of reward system be effective? Can I incentivize not-picking? Or is a penalty system more effective? Short of giving myself some sort of electric shock as punishment, I can't think of anything that would work.

Does anyone have any advice on how to train oneself to eradicate this behavior pattern? I'd be particularly interested in hearing from someone who has successfully done this themselves.

Thanks!

I haven't had a huge problem with picking but i recall that a friend was trying to quit a habit and every time he performed that act and realized it he had a rubber band on his wrist that he would snap himself with!

Ok, so here is my regimen update, since I've added and removed some things:

Morning:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

20-25 minutes under Trophy Skin blue light

Murad skin perfecting lotion & Cetaphil 15spf moisturizer (I know this seems like a lot of moisturizer, but dry skin seems to be a problem for me)

Internal: fish oil capsule with breakfast

During the day:

Makeup: Aveda "inner light" concealer

Do everything I can not to pick at my skin

Internal: second fish oil capsule with dinner (side note: I keep them in the freezer to avoid the unfortunate fish breath that you get when you swallow them at room temperature). Also, I drink about four cups of tea a day, which I've heard helps.

Evening:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

20-25 minutes under Trophy Skin blue light

Murad skin perfecting lotion

So that's the new regimen. I'm about a week into my "no more BP" and "no more AHA" adventure, and haven't seen any adverse effects yet. Maybe it was all the dry skin it was causing that was clogging my pores? We'll see. And today is the first day I'm adding the fish oil to my diet. Also, while I like your rubber band snapping idea, D-Berry, I'm not sure it's for me. Nor do I think the acne.org suggestion of making a fist and holding it out in front of me will work either. Instead, I'm trying to find a distraction...which, for now, is going to be this acne regimen log! The way I see it, typing fingers can't also be picking fingers. :)

Questions: As of now, I drink black tea, as I seem to get a bit of a headache from green, but I'm wondering if they have the same health benefits (skin-wise, that is)? I'm also considering use of tea tree oil, but haven't decided yet, as some reviews on this site characterize it as having substantial healing properties, but that it's also rather drying. Any advice?

Thanks!

Ok, I'm continuing with my most recent regimen, and although I'm still struggling with picking/touching my face, I've only had one new large blemish/cyst since I quit using the topicals.

I'm also taking the dive and purchasing a Burt's Bee's tea tree oil stick today. Fingers crossed!

IMHO:

Drinking a high-caffeine source like black tea may work at cross-purposes

to any zinc supplement you are taking, since caffeine appears to deplete zinc

at least in rodents.

Zinc is one of the few supplements shown to mildly reduce acne in studies

repeated across decades. IMHO, zinc helps only via its ability to produce

zinc superoxide dismutase.

If taurine helps, IMHO it does so via its ability to stimulate production of

superoxide dismutase, demonstrated so far in both human Schwann cells

and murine melanoma cells (two places researchers went looking specifically

because of a suspected anti-oxidant effect of taurine). That would still

require zinc to form the active acne preventer of zinc superoxide dismutase,

so by my model caffeine works against any acne-reducing benefits that

taurine can offer, as well as against zinc.

Though data is scant, it's hard to imagine that any but enormous doses of taurine

could stimulate production of the amount of superoxide dismutase that a normal

(but rarely found in civilized populations) nocturnal melatonin surge can produce.

Melatonin crosses the cell membrane and stimulates the DNA to produce

superoxide dismutase. Melatonin supplements are unable to achieve the volume/duration

of melatonin produced by the pineal gland in a normal nocturnal cycle.

A long way of saying that spending money on both black tea and taurine

supplements is certainly going to help someone, but perhaps not you.

:D

IMHO:

Drinking a high-caffeine source like black tea may work at cross-purposes

to any zinc supplement you are taking, since caffeine appears to deplete zinc

at least in rodents.

Zinc is one of the few supplements shown to mildly reduce acne in studies

repeated across decades. IMHO, zinc helps only via its ability to produce

zinc superoxide dismutase.

If taurine helps, IMHO it does so via its ability to stimulate production of

superoxide dismutase, demonstrated so far in both human Schwann cells

and murine melanoma cells (two places researchers went looking specifically

because of a suspected anti-oxidant effect of taurine). That would still

require zinc to form the active acne preventer of zinc superoxide dismutase,

so by my model caffeine works against any acne-reducing benefits that

taurine can offer, as well as against zinc.

Though data is scant, it's hard to imagine that any but enormous doses of taurine

could stimulate production of the amount of superoxide dismutase that a normal

(but rarely found in civilized populations) nocturnal melatonin surge can produce.

Melatonin crosses the cell membrane and stimulates the DNA to produce

superoxide dismutase. Melatonin supplements are unable to achieve the volume/duration

of melatonin produced by the pineal gland in a normal nocturnal cycle.

A long way of saying that spending money on both black tea and taurine

supplements is certainly going to help someone, but perhaps not you.

:D

Did you mean to post this to someone else named "IMHO"?

Saw my physician today, and she advised me to go back to seeing a dermatologist. Appointment in three weeks...not very optimistic that she'll be able to help me either, but we'll see...we'll see.

Ok, so I'm still sticking to my no topicals and no medications program. I'm only had two or three new blemishes (mostly on my chin, for whatever that's worth), but otherwise my skin seems to have entered a healing phase of some sort.

Here's where my regimen stands right now:

Morning:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

25-30 minutes under Trophy Skin blue light

Cetaphil 15spf lotion

Fish oil with breakfast

Evening:

Fish oil with dinner

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

25-30 minutes under Trophy Skin blue light

Plenty of sleep!

Totally screwed up and picked at a cyst on my chin today. Ugg...now it's going to take so much longer to heal. Why do we (I!) pick! It's just so tempting!

Ok, so I've had to add a little bit more moisturizer to my regimen, since my face has still been flaky/dry.

So, I've added moisturizer to my night regimen as well.

Here is what I now do at night:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

25-30 mins under Trophy Skin blue light

Murad skin perfecting lotion

sleep!

I've had two new cysts on my chin, and unfortunately, the blue light seems to be bringing out my freckles, which I do NOT like, but other than that, it looks like it is recovering a bit.

Cross your fingers! I know I am!

Still persisting with the current regimen (as listed above), and have finally managed to rid myself of the extreme flakiness I had before, likely as a result of BP overuse, and retin-A use. Unfortunately, my acne is still persisting as well. I've started using a bit of Clyndomyacin again (approx. every other night) as of two nights ago, since I just can't seem to get my face under control.

Seriously! Sometimes it's just so frustrating!

Dermatologist visit this coming Monday...considering going back on antibiotics, if recommended. Weighing the difference between the stress of acne vs. the long-term detrimental effects of antibiotic use? The antibiotics are starting to come out in front.

Well, the dermatologist was a bit of a disappointment. Mostly because he was so adamant about my going on accutane. I just really want to avoid it. I've just heard SO MANY horror stories about accutane side effects that I really want to avoid it if possible. Instead I'm going to keep trying to stop picking, because, well, it certainly can't be any good for me. And I've also gone back on the clindamyacin.

So, here's the regimen as it stands:

Morning:

1.5% SA wash

20 minutes under Blue light

1% Clindamyacin lotion

Cetaphil 15spf lotion

During the day:

Fish oil supplement

Vitamin B supplement

Calcium and multivitamin

Vitamin D supplement

Almay clear complexion concealer

Evening:

1/5% SA wash

20 minutes under blue light

1% Clindamyacin lotion

Cetaphil 15spf lotion

After 15 years of acne, it's tough to not be super cynical about all of this. Ugg. :(

I realize my reply is very late but you are probably using too much!! Don't use tea tree oil also!!! I hate clindamycin! My trophy skin blue light should be here in a couple days. They encourage using a product that encourages cell turnover ie. retin a, glycolic/salycic acid. I've been using clindamycin in morning and retin a and glycol gel every other night. I stopped using clindamycin not and will use blue light with the retin a and glycolic gel. By the way the blue light takes 8-10 weeks for full results! How did it all turn out?

Yeah it sounds like you are using too much stuff on your skin, you are just over irritating it. This is what causes your acne to get aggravated.

Good Luck

Today I'm rather regretting last night, as I picked at quite a few of the blemishes on my skin, and did myself an absolute disservice in doing so. My skin feels very sore and raw today as a result. I have absolutely no idea why I pick at my face when I am wholly aware of the fact that it only worsens the problem. For some reason I find it immediately satisfying...the regret coming shortly thereafter.

I find it very difficult to discourage myself from picking. Could some type of reward system be effective? Can I incentivize not-picking? Or is a penalty system more effective? Short of giving myself some sort of electric shock as punishment, I can't think of anything that would work.

Does anyone have any advice on how to train oneself to eradicate this behavior pattern? I'd be particularly interested in hearing from someone who has successfully done this themselves.

Thanks!

I know what you mean! There's nothing to really pick at and then all of a sudden I have squeezed till blood has risen to the surface of my skin! I guess you could call them little picking hickeys, lol.

My picking problem was really bad a while ago and I ended up putting little "No Picking" post-it notes in the middle of all my mirrors... It really helped.