Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone! I decided to put this thread together because i am having trouble finding a foudation i like that covers well but looks natural. So post about a makeup (foundation/coverup) you absolutely swear by and you couldn't live without. Be as specific as possible as to why you like it. Try to include:

-Name

-Brand

-Where you got it (Drug store, online, department store, makeup store like Sephora etc.)

-How much it cost

-What form (pressed/loose powder, tinted moisturizer, liquid..)

-Whether it is mineral makeup or regular

-Coverage (light, medium, full, sheer)

-How it reacted with your skin (whether if made it red, sting or you broke out)

-If its non-comedogenic, oil free...

-If it has acne medication in it

-How you apply it (brush, pad, fingers)

-How it looks on your skin (natural, fake, cakey, patchy..)

-If it only looks good in certain lights (cuz god knows that happens..)

-How it feels (lightweight, heavy, greasy, oily etc)

-If it has a fragrence or scent

-If it has SPF or not

-How long it lasts throughout the day (does it wipe off in a couple of hours or during exercise)

-Name any other products you use with it (Concealer stick, moisturizer, prime)

-Tips on how to apply it

-Share any other products you have tried along the way (what were they like, how do they compare to the makeup you use now)

-Share any products people should avoid like the plague!

-Let everyone know your personal experience cuz god knows, finding a good foundation is hard!

(I have used: Physicians Formula Mineral Wear and Concealer twins (horrible), Covergirl clean pressed powder and Covergirl TruBlend pressed powder and concealer, Mineral Power from Maybelline and the mineral power concealer, Everyday Minerals, and Bareminerals. I am currently using Clinique Almost Powder Makeup with SPF. Im looking for something lighter, easier to apply, and more natural but for now its the best)

I have used a lot of foundations over the years (drugstore) and here are my favorites.

When I had clear skin, I loved using Neutrogena Skinclearing liquid foundation. My skin has golden undertones, and the Softest Gold matched my face perfectly. However, this foundation has pretty light coverage and is not good for someone who is trying to cover up a lot of spots. It dries to a silky finish that is not too matte. It has a small amount of salicylic acid in it, but not enough to dry out your face. And, it does tend to wear off towards the end of the day.

CG(cover girl) smoothers all day hydrating makeup was another liquid foundation I used when I had clear skin. Again, it has light coverage and is more on the side of a tinted moisturizer. I would say that it has the same coverage and lasts the same amount of time as the neutrogena foundation, but this one makes your skin feel really smooth. But, it really does wear off later in the day. It doesn't have any acne medication in it.

I have been currently using Revlon Colorstay with Softflex for a very long time now. When I first started using it, my skin was clear and it gave a wonderful airbrushed look to my face that lasts until you wash it off. After my skin starting breaking out really bad (not caused by the foundation) I put a couple layers of this stuff on and it does a really good job of hiding spots. I would say it has a medium coverage that can be built up to a heavier coverage. I really like this foundation, it is the best I've used so far. The only problem I have had, is a few times where I guess I didn't rub it in very good around my jaw line and I noticed it when I got outside. And once this stuff dries, there is no blending it in, it is there to stay! It is put on best with a damp sponge, and you have to carefully apply it and at a pretty fast pace before it dries. Once you get the hang of it though, it looks great!

The only foundation I have used over the years that I absolutely hate is that whipped mousse stuff. It feels so greasy, and it slides all over your face. At least, that was my experience with it, because I've heard some people swear by this stuff.

Make up For ever in Mat Velvet

It's $34 at Sephora, but I'm almost certain I used a discount code.

It comes in liquid form.

Coverage is good, and it controls oil. I put it on with a flat top brush and I LOOOOOOVE it.

Per the site:

Active Ingredients:

-Corn Starch: Vegetable mattifying powder.

-Cyclopentasiloxane: Volatile silicone oil for substitute leave on shining oil.

-Glycerin: Humectant agent.

-Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate: Vegetable amino acid coating pigments that provide a water-resistant effect.

All shades contain:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

I haven't had any problems with my skin because of it.

Lancome Teint Idole Foundation and Lancome Photogenic Pressed Powder are both holy grail items for me. I get them at the Lancome counter at Macys.

Teint Idole is a liquid foundation that gives good coverage, goes on smoothly, and looks natural. It's also the only foundation I've ever tried that can keep my oily skin in check. It's noncomedogenic, and oil free. I apply it with a makeup sponge. I pay $42 for a bottle, but one bottle usually lasts me 3-4 months.

Photogenic pressed powder is light and sheer, and I use a big fluffy brush to dust it on to set the foundation. It makes my skin look fantastic, almost glowing, but not greasy, which always a concern for me. It wears well through out the day too. I can't remember how much it usually is. $30 maybe? It's been a while since I've had to buy any, so obviously this lasts a while too.

Wearing these two together I get compliments all the time from strangers on my "perfect" skin. I'll be buying these two items forever as far as I'm concerned.

-Name - Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation

-Brand - Make Up For Ever

-Where you got it - Sephora

-How much it cost - $40

-What form - Liquid Foundation

-Whether it is mineral makeup or regular - Regular, contains some minerals

-Coverage Light-Medium, buildable

-How it reacted with your skin - No reaction

-If its non-comedogenic, oil free - Oil-Free

-If it has acne medication in it - No

-How you apply it (brush, pad, fingers) With brush or fingers

-How it looks on your skin - Looks natural

-If it only looks good in certain lights - Looks good in most light, sunlight, etc.

-How it feels - Feels lightweight.

-If it has a fragrence or scent - No fragrance that I can tell

-If it has SPF or not - No SPF

-How long it lasts throughout the day - Stays on really well. I wore it through an 18-hour day with minimal touch-ups

-Name any other products you use with it - I use it with concealer and primer. (Laura Mercier Secret Camoflauge and MAC SPF 50 Prep+Prime. Set it with HD powder)

-Tips on how to apply it - I use a damp brush to apply it. Doesn't soak up the liquid like a dry brush would.

-Share any other products you have tried along the way - have tried many foundations - either too heavy or look unnatural.

-Share any products people should avoid like the plague! - Hm, idk. Probably Dermablend because it's so heavy.

How do you apply the liquid makeup with a brush? Ive never used liquid makeup before.. it scares me. but im willing to try new things!

How do you apply the liquid makeup with a brush? Ive never used liquid makeup before.. it scares me. but im willing to try new things!

its really not that hard or scary once you do it. get a foundation brush from ulta for about 7 dollars and dot the areas where u need coverage first. then blend it across ur face as though ur just painting it, using small fast strokes

does it feel weird on your face?? like its gunna smeare off or smudge?

no it doesnt feel wierd. but depending on how oily your face gets it will start to come off during the day. a good foundation that doesnt smudge off is revlon colorstay active

MAC foundations will make sensitive skin break out. i dont know about the other two. teint idole ultra foundation by lancome is great and it feels light and is oil free so it wont break u out. also clinique is good

I've been using Smoky Mountain Minerals for a couple of years now. The prices are reasonable, the service has always been helpful and nice to me, fast shipping, and minimal ingredients. I like the mineral make-up because before when my skin was super oily all I had to do was blot and it wasn't disturbed. Now that the oil has decreased it lasts even longer. Coverage can go from light to heavy depending on how many layers I feel like putting on and never looks like a mask.

The only product I would avoid if the skin is oily is Merle Norman. It has great, heavy coverage that hides blemishes well and feels like liquid velvet, but oily skin will literally make it melt right off of a face. I used to wear this stuff until my skin got super oily; it was too embarrassing to keep using it. Make-up would end up everywhere - on hands, clothes, even in my hair!

MAC foundations will make sensitive skin break out. i dont know about the other two. teint idole ultra foundation by lancome is great and it feels light and is oil free so it wont break u out. also clinique is good

I am using Clinique Almost Powder with SPF right now. It has good coverage but its too heavy. Im on accutane so im hoping my skin will clear up eventually and i will only need a light powder to help redness and red marks. Then i could touch up with the Almost Powder on the spots that need it. However, im not a fan of the pressed powder with a sponge.. Any suggestions for a quick, easy to apply light powder that looks natural??

I am using Clinique Almost Powder with SPF right now. It has good coverage but its too heavy. Im on accutane so im hoping my skin will clear up eventually and i will only need a light powder to help redness and red marks. Then i could touch up with the Almost Powder on the spots that need it. However, im not a fan of the pressed powder with a sponge.. Any suggestions for a quick, easy to apply light powder that looks natural??

Dust it on with a big fluffy kabuki brush. I never use the applicators that come with pressed powder.

-Name - Everyday Minerals Intensive - mix of Buff Perfect and Buff Beige Neutral

-Brand - Everyday Minerals (I know you've tried them but its my HG)

-Where you got it (Drug store, online, department store, makeup store like Sephora etc.) - online

-How much it cost - $3 for sample kit, approx $8 for large jar

-What form (pressed/loose powder, tinted moisturizer, liquid..) - loose powder

-Whether it is mineral makeup or regular - mineral

-Coverage (light, medium, full, sheer) - full (intensive)

-How it reacted with your skin (whether if made it red, sting or you broke out) - worked beautifully

-If its non-comedogenic, oil free... - oil free and it's non comedogenic for me

-If it has acne medication in it - no

-How you apply it (brush, pad, fingers) - flat top brush or sponge

-How it looks on your skin (natural, fake, cakey, patchy..) - looks very natural

-If it only looks good in certain lights (cuz god knows that happens..) - no looks good all the time

-How it feels (lightweight, heavy, greasy, oily etc) - feels very lightweight

-If it has a fragrence or scent - no fragance or scent

-If it has SPF or not - natural SPF 19, i think

-How long it lasts throughout the day (does it wipe off in a couple of hours or during exercise) - it holds up well throughout the day and i get oily. i only need to touch up once

-Name any other products you use with it (Concealer stick, moisturizer, prime) - only moisturize with Oil of Olay. use finishing dust as primer

-Tips on how to apply it - flat top brush is key for coverage and natural look

-Share any other products you have tried along the way (what were they like, how do they compare to the makeup you use now) - used BM (HATED IT), MAC Studio Tech (too heavy and broke me out), The Supernatural by Philosophy (good but expensive and has Bismuth in it)

-Share any products people should avoid like the plague! - BARE MINERALS!!!!

Dust it on with a big fluffy kabuki brush. I never use the applicators that come with pressed powder.

Thats a good idea. Where did u find a good one? just a makeup store? and do u think the lancome powder alone u mentioned earlier would be sufficient to hide a few red marks/ redness?

-Name - Everyday Minerals Intensive - mix of Buff Perfect and Buff Beige Neutral

-Brand - Everyday Minerals (I know you've tried them but its my HG)

-Where you got it (Drug store, online, department store, makeup store like Sephora etc.) - online

-How much it cost - $3 for sample kit, approx $8 for large jar

-What form (pressed/loose powder, tinted moisturizer, liquid..) - loose powder

-Whether it is mineral makeup or regular - mineral

-Coverage (light, medium, full, sheer) - full (intensive)

-How it reacted with your skin (whether if made it red, sting or you broke out) - worked beautifully

-If its non-comedogenic, oil free... - oil free and it's non comedogenic for me

-How you apply it (brush, pad, fingers) - flat top brush or sponge

-How it looks on your skin (natural, fake, cakey, patchy..) - looks very natural

-If it only looks good in certain lights (cuz god knows that happens..) - no looks good all the time

-How it feels (lightweight, heavy, greasy, oily etc) - feels very lightweight

-If it has a fragrence or scent - no fragance or scent

-If it has SPF or not - natural SPF 19, i think

-How long it lasts throughout the day (does it wipe off in a couple of hours or during exercise) - it holds up well throughout the day and i get oily. i only need to touch up once

-Name any other products you use with it (Concealer stick, moisturizer, prime) - only moisturize with Oil of Olay. use finishing dust as primer

-Tips on how to apply it - flat top brush is key for coverage and natural look

-Share any other products you have tried along the way (what were they like, how do they compare to the makeup you use now) - used BM (HATED IT), MAC Studio Tech (too heavy and broke me out), The Supernatural by Philosophy (good but expensive and has Bismuth in it)

-Share any products people should avoid like the plague! - BARE MINERALS!!!!

I used BM and it made me even more oily than i already was at the time. I liked mineral makeup and Everyday minerals were alotttt better than BM but the mineral makeup started to irritate my skin once i went on accutane. It was too drying. But its a great product for oily skin (expect BM because of Bismuth)

i dont use the sponges for powder either. they make me break out because of the bacteria on it from using it again and again. i also use a kabuki brush and make sure to wash my brushes often to get rid of the bacteria and buildup

Did someone say Doublewear already and I missed it?

Well heres my take on it:

-Name - Doublewear

-Brand - Estee Lauder

-Where you got it (Drug store, online, department store, makeup store like Sephora etc.) - department store, i like getting it at Nordstrom

-How much it cost - $36 (thats with tax included)

-What form (pressed/loose powder, tinted moisturizer, liquid..) - liquid

-Whether it is mineral makeup or regular - regular

-Coverage (light, medium, full, sheer) - technically, it is a medium coverage foundation...but most will refer to it as full coverage, especially since it's buildable

-How it reacted with your skin (whether if made it red, sting or you broke out) - I think this may clog the pores on my nose, but it doesnt give me any huge problems, like cysts or irritation

-If its non-comedogenic, oil free... - oil free and it's non comedogenic

-How you apply it (brush, pad, fingers) - sponge, i think its the most effective way to apply it

-How it looks on your skin (natural, fake, cakey, patchy..) - you can tell Im wearing makeup, but not how MUCH im wearing...one bad thing is that it sometimes get darker during the day, so i use a kabuki brush with some mineral makeup on it to buff out the line between my face and neck

-If it only looks good in certain lights (cuz god knows that happens..) - i have found it to look good in all lighting

-How it feels (lightweight, heavy, greasy, oily etc) - moderatly light, pretty good for a full coverage

-If it has a fragrence or scent - neither

-If it has SPF or not - spf 15, I believe

-How long it lasts throughout the day (does it wipe off in a couple of hours or during exercise) - this is probably the longest lasting makeup there is! will last all day and more

-Name any other products you use with it (Concealer stick, moisturizer, prime) - none, mosturizing before this makeup is a bad idea, imo. and instead of using concealer, i just apply more of the foundation where i need it

-Tips on how to apply it - use a sponge, apply all over. then give it a few minutes to dry and go back and dab more on where you need it. this technique has saved my life!

-Share any other products you have tried along the way (what were they like, how do they compare to the makeup you use now) -lancome (too sheer), MAC (bad color selection, very thick), sophia mercer Silk foundation (too sheer and oily)

-Share any products people should avoid like the plague! - hmm, cant say really. i hate everything except doublewear (: i think a lot of girls who have red marks will understand where I am coming from. I would love to throw out my doublewear some day for some light mineral makeup, but Im not at that point yet. this makeup is great when youre skin is at a low, and you want to make yourself look clear.

Thats a good idea. Where did u find a good one? just a makeup store? and do u think the lancome powder alone u mentioned earlier would be sufficient to hide a few red marks/ redness?

I don't think the powder alone has much concealing power; it seems pretty sheer to me. But then again, I've never tried just the powder; I always use it to set my foundation.

And I usually get brushes just at a drugstore. Most have a selection of fluffy brushes somewhere in the makeup section.

I currently use doublewear but im afraid it breaks me out. Its so hard to wash off that sometimes even after washing my face twice, i still get some makeup on the towel! It is a wonderful makeup but I only wear it when im going somewhere important.

Thanks guys! this has been helpful. Im going to make sure to pick up a kabuki brush.

Any more ideas on an easy, light foudation? possibly a tinted moisturizer or light powder?

If you were on accutane, what foundation worked for you?

Okay do you think liquid makeup is lighter and more natural looking than pressed powder? Becuase today when i was putting on my makeup (Almost Powder from Clinique, pressed powder) i found that it was really patchy and uneven on my forehead, which is my problem area. Also, since im on accutane my skin is dry, would a liquid makeup be a better option for drier skin and even when my skin clears up?

I currently use doublewear but im afraid it breaks me out. Its so hard to wash off that sometimes even after washing my face twice, i still get some makeup on the towel! It is a wonderful makeup but I only wear it when im going somewhere important.

I use olive oil to take mine off, it gets it right off! Just get a cotton pad wet, then put olive oil on it. Olive oil doesnt clog pores, btw.