Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Antibiotics definitely works if you are taking it for the first time. But it isn't a cure and it no longer work with time and there is also a possibility that acne will come back worse once you stop taking it.

I took antibiotics off an on for 12 years. It kept some acne away, but I was still developing at least 1 cyst a week.

I've used various ABs since 1997:

topical emycin

oral emycin

azithryomycin

doxy

minocycline

tetracycline

topical cleocin

at best, each one will work for 12-18 months then will lose its effectiveness. If you stop taking them for some years, they'll be effective again.

It used to be that just 400mg/day of emycin was enough to keep me 97% clear, but the bacteria have developed immunity to it. Now i need 1200mg/day to get the same results

stay away from minocycline, it can cause discoloration of your teeth, even adult teeth!

hey mate, ive been on minocycline for 1 week at a time a few times, and it clears up my acne well but after a day or two off it it comes back, but with less fury :) its a good way to beat the initial outbreak when trying a new regime if your that worried, but i wouldn't think of them as a long term solution to acne.

Depends , if your acne is only mild i would go for oxytetracycline :) or a mild topical treatment

My acne has just proceeded to moderate and I am now taking Erythromycin - which from my experience so far isnt that nice ... making me feel sick - like vomitting :(

But it is very hard to find an anitbiotic that works for you , because you become immune to it - etc etc

Good luck :D

Depends , if your acne is only mild i would go for oxytetracycline :) or a mild topical treatment

My acne has just proceeded to moderate and I am now taking Erythromycin - which from my experience so far isnt that nice ... making me feel sick - like vomitting :(

But it is very hard to find an anitbiotic that works for you , because you become immune to it - etc etc

Good luck :D

I have been on Adoxa 150 mg (doxycycline) for 5 and a 1/2 weeks. I'm also on tazorac (6 weeks). Anyone got feedback regarding when doxy kicks in? I have a 3 month prescription.

I have experienced very little side effects. The tazorac is another story....

I've been on Bactrim, Kephlex, Doxycycline, Minocycline on and off for about 5+ years. The initial reason for treatment was for a bacterial infection (folliculitis). I also believe I had mild acne, because I had it since middle school. I'm 24 years old now.

Has antibiotics worked for me: No, I don't ever want to take another antbiotic for the rest of my life. It's pretty crazy how we are seeing new super strains of infections within the population. The only thing I can think that is causing this is the over-use of antibiotics and antibacterial cleaning agents. And if you think about it ACNE was never a big issue in the baby boomer stages. I think the big reason here is because our SUGAR consumption has tripled since then and sugar supresses the immune system. I'm blabbing but I think the best thing for any disease or illness is to strengthen the immune system.

Hope this helps someone and hopefully I'm not way off topic here,

Jeffrey

I have been on Adoxa 150 mg (doxycycline) for 5 and a 1/2 weeks. I'm also on tazorac (6 weeks). Anyone got feedback regarding when doxy kicks in? I have a 3 month prescription.

I have experienced very little side effects. The tazorac is another story....

Well if it helps i was on oxytetracycline which is within the same family of meds. which you are taking , it took a good few months before it really kicks in :D x

I've been on Bactrim, Kephlex, Doxycycline, Minocycline on and off for about 5+ years. The initial reason for treatment was for a bacterial infection (folliculitis). I also believe I had mild acne, because I had it since middle school. I'm 24 years old now.

Has antibiotics worked for me: No, I don't ever want to take another antbiotic for the rest of my life. It's pretty crazy how we are seeing new super strains of infections within the population. The only thing I can think that is causing this is the over-use of antibiotics and antibacterial cleaning agents. And if you think about it ACNE was never a big issue in the baby boomer stages. I think the big reason here is because our SUGAR consumption has tripled since then and sugar supresses the immune system. I'm blabbing but I think the best thing for any disease or illness is to strengthen the immune system.

Hope this helps someone and hopefully I'm not way off topic here,

Jeffrey

No it is not off the topic , I agree i think they should give something to boost the immune system not kill all good bacteria and bad bacteria !

I do however think that it is good for the milder acne cases , but the new stuff they are bringing out for spots is ridiculous ! - its probably making it worse than it was before !