Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

Tips from Regimen Veteran on what keeps my skin clear.

Hi guys, I never visit the forum anymore, because my acne is very much under control thanks to Dan's regimen. Thanks Dan! I am here to give a little advice on what works best for me.

I've been on the regimen for a very long time (7 years?), and in the past year I have really progressed in improving my skin even further. I've had severe cystic acne for a long time, but Dan's regimen keeps my skin almost perfectly clear.

Here is a detailed description of what I do, and I believe every one of these steps is CRUCIAL to getting 90% clear skin. And believe me, I've tried a lot of things, and done a lot of experimenting with Dan's regimen.

MORNING:

1. Take shower. Use HOT water (as hot as you can tolerate without burning). Make sure plenty of water gets on your face to wash it, but don't rub with hands! In the end of shower, use Cetaphil cleansing bar (NOT anti-bacterial), wash it off with hot water. DON'T rub your face.

2. Dry face with napkin, not towel.

3. Shave with electric shaver.

4. Put on Dan's benzoyl peroxide gel.

(I don't use as much as Dan recommends. I use just a pea-sized amount, and I find it works best. When I use more, I find that my face gets too dry, and there's not a big change in acne)

5. A few minutes after that, mix a pea-sized amount of Olay Complete (with SPF 15) lotion, and 2 pumps of Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive Skin moisturizer. Put on your face.

6. Your face will be SHINY from this. That's ok. Wait a few minutes, then absorb the moisture on your face with a napkin.

DURING THE DAY:

My face tends to get very oily, and every 3-4 hours I use a napkin or some toilet paper to absorb the oil.

EVENING:

When I get home from work (around 6:00) the FIRST thing I do (before eating, before working out, before doing anything else) is:

1. Wash face with HOT water and Cetaphil cleansing bar.

2. Dry face with napkin.

3. Put on pea-sized amount of Dan's benzoyl peroxide.

4. Wait a few minutes, then put on 3 pumps of Neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer.

Here are the 3 most important things once again which make a BIG difference for me:

1. Always wash face with HOT water. Almost burning hot.

2. Use plenty of moisturizer (2-3 pumps).

3. Do regimen BEFORE large meals, and BEFORE physical activity.

I have found that after eating a lot of food, or after exercising, my skin gets very oily and I get acne. This probably has to do with hormones. If I wash my face before such activity, my pores will be clean, and ready to receive any fresh oil which comes out as a result of the hormone increase. If I don't do that, the fresh oil will try to push out the old oil and dead skin cells, and zits will form.

It's also important to keep a good clean diet. Eat lots of fruit, nuts, and good protein. (I stay away from processed foods, eggs, dairy.)

This is what works for me, and hopefully it will work for you too. Good luck.

wow.... man... thats dedicated...man while i was reading this, one thing came to my mind...

those lucky bastards that never had acne in their entire lives should be fukking thankful...

thanks for info

Good post man!

But, I have a question...

Is there any specific reason why you use hot water(near burning). Is it safe to do so?

I've heard a lot of people saying that we should use luke warm water. A couple of posts even say, splashing your face with cold water might help with redness.

Excellent post btw,

but, like the person above me, I am curious as to why you are advising us to use HOT water? Hot water, correct me if I am wrong, irritates skin for sensitive people and quite a lot of Acne.org members have sensitive skin. Doesn't hot water take away te natural moisture from your skin and open the pores? Sorry, I just need you to clarify this for me.

I use COLD water because I feel it helps keep my skin freshed and it doensn't become rough like when I use it with hot. ...

Is there any specific reason why you use hot water(near burning).

i have the same question. does the hot water keep your skin more moisturized?

In one of Dan's videos he recommended using hot water; I tried it, and it worked better than warm or cold, without irritating my skin or making it red/dry. I don't really know how to justify it, but I just know it works for my type of skin.

maybe you can try making the water a little bit hotter every day, and see how your skin reacts.

Hey Teplo! It's great to see you. :)

One benefit to using hot water, imo, is if you have super oily skin (like me) the hot water seems to clean it off better than cold or lukewarm water. Think of it this way, when you have a greasy pan to wash, hot water with the dish detergent cleans it much better than cold water and the same cleanser.

I wouldn't recommend having it so hot that you can hardly stand it, and certainly not if you have dry skin or skin that is currently irritated. Otherwise, for oily skinned folks, a wash with hot water can often be beneficial.

In one of Dan's videos he recommended using hot water; I tried it, and it worked better than warm or cold, without irritating my skin or making it red/dry. I don't really know how to justify it, but I just know it works for my type of skin.

maybe you can try making the water a little bit hotter every day, and see how your skin reacts.

you sure?? cuz i actually went to his youtube account and watched nearly entire videos, and there was one video about cold vs warm water,

and he recommended warm water for hot water irritates skin...

Here is a detailed description of what I do, and I believe every one of these steps is CRUCIAL to getting 90% clear skin. And believe me, I've tried a lot of things, and done a lot of experimenting with Dan's regimen.

Hey this is interesting! My routine is quite similar to this!

For me it's all about the sebum! You know the biggest affect on my skin? The gym. The harder I work out - the more weight I lift - the more oily my skin is for the next 3 days. I've noticed it takes me about a week to recover from the break out caused by this. It's a shame because I like working out. My self esteem is connected to the shape of my body. The more in shape I am, the more confident I feel. It's not my only source of self esteem however it does have an impact.

If I haven't gone to the gym to lift weights in about 7 days my skin is quite dry. I then have the opposite problem - not enough sebum and I have to be careful to keep my skin moisturized. No doubt this is at least in part caused by the BP.

I use BP mostly to kill off new zits when I need to rather than just all over coverage. My zits are small these days but they do come around every now and then. Once the zits have disappeared I will keep the BP on the general area for a day or so more just to make sure.

So funny! Like you I also pat the skin to get rid of excess oil a few times a day. I use the toilet paper as well hehe!

I use neutrogena oil free moisture combo skin as a moisturizer. I use cetaphil lotion to clean the skin.

I wash my face twice a day. I only do it with a shower (short shower of course). I use warm/hot water (as hot as I can stand essentially). The other times I will just pat dry the excess oil and maybe put some more BP on if I need it. Skin is clear most of the time but of course prone to a break out!

The biggest difference in my routine is I also use isotretinoin cream overnight. I've found that this makes a big difference. My skin is much clearer with this stuff. If I go without this for 2 weeks my skin is not in good shape.

Psychological stress and physical pain cause my skin to become more oily. Stress is usually due to work. I do get physical pain sometimes because of my neck (long standing neck problem).

Reluctantly I've decided to cut back on the weights and focus on cardio instead. Cardio doesn't have the same affect on my skin! As a side benefit, cardio seems to be a natural moisturizer for the skin. My skin is certainly in better condition if I did cardio the day / night before!

Keep up the good work bro!

clean it off better than cold or lukewarm water. Think of it this way, when you have a greasy pan to wash, hot water with the dish detergent cleans it much better than cold water and the same cleanser.

I think you're spot on there! Hot water removes oil more effectively than cold because it breaks it up.

I've heard that hot water irritates the skin...and it sure irritates mine. After taking hot showers, I ALWAYS get red, super dry patches all over my body, including my face. This doesn't occur with warm water.

I don't feel that cold water gets the skin clean - could just be my imagination, but I never feel clean enough after usage. But when I use hot water, my skin just feels dry and irritated.

If you have super oily skin, hot water may work to help absorb the excess oil, but if you have normal or dry skin, I'd definitely stay away from hot water and just use lukewarm.

Also, if you guys want to exercise without the excess sebum -YOGA YOGA YOGA!!!!

Guys always laugh at me when I say this, but it's a charm. Studies have shown that people who practice it frequently are more healthy in older age than people who simply just lift weights and stuff. I read an article about an older yoga teacher who did nothing BUT yoga for exercise and was one of the most fit people in the study. It'll tone your body, make you flexible and really aid in soooo many things!!

You don't need to lift weights to be healthy and toned.