Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nerve

Need advice, doctor perscribed benzo clin, had reaction

Recommended Posts

So here's my story.

I've had acne for about 3 years now. I've tried many different products. Finally when I got Proactiv it worked beautifully for about 5 months but then stopped working. So I went and bought OXY sensitive face wash. I applied it before bed and woke up in the middle of the night with incredibly itchy skin so I went to put my moisturizer on. In a haze I accidentally applied the face wash again and woke up in the morning in some of the worst pain of my life.

I could barely talk because of how inflamed my skin was, and it took about a week for all of the redness and itchiness to go away. After my skin recovered from that i thought I might as well try Proactiv again because it had worked in the past. The next morning I woke up again with very itchy irritated skin. Scared to use anything with benzoyl peroxide the only products I used for the next few months did practically nothing.

So yesterday I told my doctor about my problems and he prescribed me Benzoclin ( 5% bp). I applied very little and went to bed, and when I woke up I had more irritated red skin. :boohoo:

What I think happened was when I overdosed with the OXY face wash it completely threw my skin out of whack because because of the BP overload, and from now on whenever I use something that contains BP my skin becomes very very irritated, but I hardly know anything about acne so I came to you guys hoping you can help me.

My doctor also told me that I should only use antibacterial soap for my face wash and to wash it excessively (like up to 6-8 times a day).

I also found out that when I go in my pool and expose my skin to the chlorine in the water it helps reduce my acne very much.

So what should I do? Thanks in advance!

-Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds to me like you might have developed an allergy to BP. You might want to just avoid products containing BP from now on.

As for what your derm said, washing your face that often sounds like overkill to me, but then, I didn't go to dermatology school, and your derm did, so if I were you, I'd follow his advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So you think that I actually developed an allergy to bp because of overuse?

I don't think it was from overuse. Sometimes people just develop allergies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×