Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blue_corvette

apple cider vinegar detox?!

Hello! After reading all the rave reviews of ACV, I went out and bought a bottle of Braggs. I started taking 50/50 shots (half ACV, half water in a shot glass), then increased to the recommended 2 tbs. in 8 oz. water a few days later. Now, about a week later, I am having a horrible flair-up!

My skin had been pretty decent recently (it has been a fantastic season for blueberries where I live, so I've been eating them like candy... possible cause for improvement?! eh, that's another post, haha!) I did some non-acne.org research and heard that if your body has a lot of, well, yucky stuff built up in it, it's got to get released somewhere --> a bad breakout.

Has anyone else had this happen? Should I stick with it, or be one of the unfortunate few who doesn't respond to ACV? :(

Thanks!

~*blue

Hmm, I just answered another post about ACV and it got me thinking, not having the bottle in front of me, does Braggs recommend 2 tablespoons, or 2 teaspoons in 8 oz of water?

Hello! After reading all the rave reviews of ACV, I went out and bought a bottle of Braggs. I started taking 50/50 shots (half ACV, half water in a shot glass), then increased to the recommended 2 tbs. in 8 oz. water a few days later. Now, about a week later, I am having a horrible flair-up!

My skin had been pretty decent recently (it has been a fantastic season for blueberries where I live, so I've been eating them like candy... possible cause for improvement?! eh, that's another post, haha!) I did some non-acne.org research and heard that if your body has a lot of, well, yucky stuff built up in it, it's got to get released somewhere --> a bad breakout.

Has anyone else had this happen? Should I stick with it, or be one of the unfortunate few who doesn't respond to ACV? :(

Thanks!

~*blue

I just started drinking Braggs ACV 3 days ago and I'm starting to break out with many little white heads and that hasn't happened to me in awhile. The reason I'm drinking the ACV is because I used to have severe acne and I have bad red marks all over and I heard drinking ACV can help with that. But I don't know if its the ACV or my heavy night of drinking from last Saturday. Could I be just starting to breakout a little because of that? All I know is I wasn't breaking out before I started drinking ACV so I'm going to stop for a few days and see what happens. Oh, before I forget, Braggs recommends 1-2 teaspoons of ACV.

You don't need to detox from anything, human body isn't designed to keep toxins around. People would die or fall seriously ill in a short period if overloaded with toxins. Remember what happens when you eat bad food -- vomiting, diarrhea -- that's a detox right there. If you really want to speed up "detoxification" drink more water. This will expel those normal levels of unwanted substances you consume/drink everyday faster. But remember, toxins aren’t building up inside you. They go out.

Thanks!

~*blue

I just started drinking Braggs ACV 3 days ago and I'm starting to break out with many little white heads and that hasn't happened to me in awhile. The reason I'm drinking the ACV is because I used to have severe acne and I have bad red marks all over and I heard drinking ACV can help with that. But I don't know if its the ACV or my heavy night of drinking from last Saturday. Could I be just starting to breakout a little because of that? All I know is I wasn't breaking out before I started drinking ACV so I'm going to stop for a few days and see what happens. Oh, before I forget, Braggs recommends 1-2 teaspoons of ACV.

I bet it could be because of the acidity of the ACV. I remember I broke out badly on the jaw line and neck from too many apples.

mmm. Apples are NOT acidy* or whatever. Oranges, tropical fruits are. ACV helps detox your colon when you drink it. Your probably just having a flair up because your body isn't used to it. I broke out on organic foods, lol. Give it time, AVC is wonderful. Don't make any judgments for at least one week.

Cuz in the end, its going to help you :)

And yes our body will naturally detox, but in our current eating trends, our bodies can't handle that. We are not meant to consume fast food, trans fat, etc.

Thanks everyone! t, let me know if your skin clears up again when you stop. And Mr. Crab, did your skin clear up from all the apples after awhile?

No, the apples may have helped my system, but definitely not my skin.

mmm. Apples are NOT acidy* or whatever.

The word you're looking for is "acidic". And apples are certainly acidic, so I don't know where your information is coming from: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

And yes our body will naturally detox, but in our current eating trends, our bodies can't handle that. We are not meant to consume fast food, trans fat, etc.

Please define "detox" and explain how fast food and trans fatty acids inhibit the detoxification process.

Are you serious??? Did you take even a basic chemistry class in high school? Don't state "facts" about things you don't know about, and don't even know what it is... acidity, not acidy.

I bet it could be because of the acidity of the ACV. I remember I broke out badly on the jaw line and neck from too many apples.

Same exact reaction here; it's basically entirely on my jawline for me though. It's odd too because they're just flat red marks and disappear with time, provided i stop taking whatever it is that's harsh on my stomach. I get the same reaction from vitamin C in the form of Ascorbic Acid but not Calcium Ascorbate (see Ester C or BioCGel (in Canada) for these forms); the ascorbic acid in this form is buffered with calcium and is much less harsh/acidic on the stomach.

I don't get the reaction whatsoever with ACV though; it could just be because ACV is just below the threshold or something for me. ACV can be quite harsh; ALWAYS dilute it with water and if you make a salad dressing, I would go for a minimum of a 1:1 ratio of oil : vinegar (it's what seems to work even better for me than the 3 or 4:1 oil:vinegar I used to use).

Are you serious??? Did you take even a basic chemistry class in high school? Don't state "facts" about things you don't know about, and don't even know what it is... acidity, not acidy.

Apples have citric acid but are reduced to alkaline ash during digestion

Read it in a book yesterday that apples are one of the least acidic fruits available.... Maybe I will check my sources....

You don't need to detox from anything, human body isn't designed to keep toxins around. People would die or fall seriously ill in a short period if overloaded with toxins. Remember what happens when you eat bad food -- vomiting, diarrhea -- that's a detox right there. If you really want to speed up "detoxification" drink more water. This will expel those normal levels of unwanted substances you consume/drink everyday faster. But remember, toxins aren’t building up inside you. They go out.

As a medical researcher who studies how the body metabolizes heavy metals (Chromium, Lead, etc.) and other chemicals (BPA, Phthalates), this is completely not true. Yes, the human body wasn't designed to hang onto toxic compounds, but it was also not designed to be EXPOSED to toxic compounds.

Over the years, these metals/chemicals ("toxins") can certainly accumulate in your system - your bones are a particularly good storage place for lead. This is why it is recommended that if you are a woman planning on having children even in the distant future, you try to avoid BPA - because it can linger in your cells/structures for years-decades.

As far as whether ACV works to accelerate the "detox" process, there isn't any really good scientific evidence that I've found either way. It certainly won't help with bone "detox", but may work on other soft tissues :)