Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JoshT

Lost about 95% of my Acne

Hi all,

I'm a 28 year old guy and I found this place a few months ago because I was just about ready to try Accutane due to my moderate-severe acne that did not respond at all too proactiv and Skin ID. I wanted to see if there was anything else that I could try and I was pretty much willing to try anything.

To be honest the first thing that I tried was the no ejaculating thing, since I have tried many different diets with no success. To my surprise after two weeks I had much less acne but I ultimately I thought that the cure was worse than the acne and I needed something else. However this got me thinking that all I needed to do was supplement whatever excess nutrients that I was supposedly losing and I could reduce my acne all the same.

Since then I have been taking 500 mg of Vitamin A and 50 mg (Sorry my mistake) of Zinc three days a week. Mon, Wed, Friday, and have reduced my acne 95%. The only other things I use for my skin is just the daily cleanser from Skin ID in the morning and a quick wash with only water before I go to sleep. I have made no major changes to my diet, workload (stress), etc. The only other recent change that I have made is that I exercise 10-15 minutes three times a week. Anyway I have been 95% clear for about three weeks now and I don't think it's a fluke.

I'll post again if anything changes.

Hey there! I am glad that the regimen is working for you but I have to agree with Chirish that 300mg of zinc daily is a VERY high amount. Zinc is essential and beneficial at doses below 100 mg a day. Everything above that is considered as a toxic dose and can have side effects when taken long term, such as gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, adverse changes in HDL/LDL cholesterol ratios. I am not trying to scare you or anything, just want yto warn you of the possible consequences of high-zinc intake.

But again, happy it has worked for you

I think it is the Vitamin A that is working for you. But do take note that high dose of Vitamin A can cause undesirable side effects.

I take the dosage three times a week so it would work out to something like 1500 mg vitamin A a week and 900 Mg of zinc a week. or about 200 mg vitamin A a day and 130 mg of zinc a day so I thought that would be pretty safe. I have read that vitamin A and Zinc can cause toxicity if overdosed so Intentionally spread it out to almost every other day.

Oddly though both vitamins on the bottle say that I can take a pill daily.

I would like to ask Josh, if you consider that your improvement is due to the vitamin A or because of the zinc? Did you start getting one of those separately? Do you Keep improving? How long have you been taking zinc and vitamine A?

I feel pretty embarrassed but I when I double checked the vitamin label for the the zinc dosage was 50 mg not 300 mg. I have no idea how I mixed those two up. So I'm taking about 150mg a week for zinc, which I think would be pretty safe since it's under recommended daily dosages.

As for which I think is helping the acne I have no real idea since I have always taken them together. I have been taking the two vitamins for about four weeks at this point and I continue to improve. Right now I have only two pimples that are healing. One of the pimples was noticeably smaller than the ones that I used to get and one was larger than average. (the larger one was probably growing for about 10 days).

I used to have deep pustule acne on my chin, neck and jawline maybe getting a pimple a day so I used have about 3-4 or so "active" pimples, with about about a dozen or so in various states of healing. I think it took about three weeks for a pimple to become unnoticeable.

What hasn't changed that much is the acne on my back. I used to get one or two a week and I think that has pretty much has stayed the same. I think I'm down to one a week but I'm generally less aware about them so it's harder for me to gauge.

The reason that I suspect that my diet/nutrient intake has something to do with my acne is that I eat out about 75% of my meals which means that I tend to go to the few same places and may have been taking in not enough vitamins. Come to think of it the one change that I have also made to my diet is that I have stopped eating fried chicken since the local Popeyes has closed down about two months ago. I used to go there about twice a week to get two fried chicken thighs. That is one place that I have gone to pretty consistently for the past three years.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to be through.