Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Supacon

Very weird first time experience with Niacin

Okay, so I was reading this thread earlier today:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Niacin-AM...ne-t241485.html

Which basically talks about taking niacin and that it apparently has helped many peoples' acne condition.

I was at the grocery store today, and thought, what the heck, it's cheap, I'll give it a shot.

Now, the background here is that today I've been feeling a little off... I don't know if it was the intense bike ride I did yesterday or what, but I'm feeling a little stiff and inflexible, and I've had a mild headache today.

After lunch today i had a fresh carrot, apple and ginger juice from Booster Juice, and shortly after drinking that, my stomache was briefly irritated a slight bit. I thought that was odd...

I made a relatively nutritious supper with a tomato, cucumber, and green pepper salad with some kind of garlic oil and vinegar based dressing, then had a decent sized bowl of whole wheat pasta with tomatoe sauce. Before I ate, I popped a 75mg (per vitamin) B-Complex pill, and after I ate a bit of very dark chocolate, I had less than half of a 500mg niacin tablet.

So, after about half an hour, I start feeling a little weird, and my skin gets all red and hot. After another half an hour, the hot flush started subsiding.

Then a little later, I very quickly got a *MASSIVE* killer headache. I almost never get headaches at all, like maybe once every few months, with the exception of earlier today. I wasn't feeling good, so I went to lay down, and as soon as I did, I started shivering violently, teeth chattering and the whole bit.

Today, it's gotta be over 30 degrees celcius outside (which is pretty damn hot for Alberta), plus the computers I run in my bedroom make it hotter, but here I am wrapping myself in all these blankets shivering like I've got hypothermia and my whole body starts aching awfully.

This lasted maybe 20-30 minutes, and an hour later I'm starting to feel normal again.

WTF just happened?! All that from a piddly 200mg of niacin? I'm thinking that something I ate might have reacted with it, but I don't know what the heck just happened to me. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

BTW, this is my first time taking a dose of niacin, but still...

You should try the no-flush niacin. I really don't understand why everyone on these threads is taking the flush kind, as it doesn't seem to be necessary. It's just an added discomfort. I tried taking the flushing kind, and it made me sick and seemed to do nothing for my face but make it even more red. DON'T take the timed release niacin though, it is bad for your liver. Look for a label that says "no flush." I take 500 mg of the no-flush niacin that you can get at wal-mart, and it's cleared me considerably. I read about the flush, and it seems to be important to those taking Niacin for cholesterol lowering, but I don't find it helpful to prevent and heal acne.

Yeah, there was some speculation that the no-flush might not be as effective, but I thought, meh, I'm no pussy I can handle it.

I do *not* want a repeat of that gongshow though, that was awful!

If that happens again, I'm definitely ditching it for the Niacinimide.

So, after about half an hour, I start feeling a little weird, and my skin gets all red and hot. After another half an hour, the hot flush started subsiding.

Welcome to the joys of the "Niacin Flush"! :)

It happens to most people who take niacin, and is considered to be generally safe. However, it's SOOOO intense in some people, they just can't tolerate it. I've read that it has to do with the release of histamine from certain cells in the body.

One thing you may not know is that your body usually becomes acclimated to niacin after a while, and you no longer even get the flush at all. What you could TRY doing is take only a very small daily dose (the 200 mg that you took is too large -- I'd suggest maybe 25-50 mg, or thereabouts), until the flushing subsides. Then gradually increase the dose, if you wish.

Then a little later, I very quickly got a *MASSIVE* killer headache. I almost never get headaches at all, like maybe once every few months, with the exception of earlier today. I wasn't feeling good, so I went to lay down, and as soon as I did, I started shivering violently, teeth chattering and the whole bit.

Today, it's gotta be over 30 degrees celcius outside (which is pretty damn hot for Alberta), plus the computers I run in my bedroom make it hotter, but here I am wrapping myself in all these blankets shivering like I've got hypothermia and my whole body starts aching awfully.

Now THAT sounds very very odd. I've never heard of a person getting CHILLS from niacin!! It sounds to me like you had some kind of idiosyncratic reaction to it. I'd suggest that you not use niacin again, or at the very least do it under medical supervision.

200mg on your first time is way too much. 50mg would be a better starting point. No wonder your body couldn't handle it.

Ok, so the first time you ever take Niacin of at least 100 mg, the flush gets very intense. It will be the most intense flush you have, but it's normal and I believe it's very good for you. Were you drinking enough water? It's important to at least be hydrated when flushing! Once and if you take more Niacin throughout time, the flush effect may disappear.

I did take it with food, and I probably had a bit of water - but next time, I'll make sure I take no more than 1/4 of a tab (125g or so) and drink like, four big glasses of water. I figured that if tabs are 500mg, then that kind of dose should easily be tolerable, and I didn't even take half of it!

Hopefully that headache doesn't happen again, that was brutal... I'll keep posting on my experiences, I'll try again today and see what happens.

To follow up on this, I've taken niacin for about four or five days now, and I never got those kinds of headaches and weirdness. Last Saturday I did get a flush, and my nasal passages felt a little swollen or some other weirdness there. I took a little larger dose before bed last night and didn't notice a thing... maybe that's the way to do it?

LOL

I experienced the EXACT same thing, but worse.

I went to walmart an hour after waking up, and eating half a protein bar for breakfast. I bought some Jamieson Niacine 500mg pills, and immediately popped one with a small sip of old bottled water sitting in my car(I know, BAD!) and another bite of my protein bar.

I started driving home, and literally within 5 minutes I started feeling tingly all over and lightheaded. Then over the course of about 20 seconds, I went from white to SUNBURNT RED all over. It felt exactly like an extremely bad sunburn, and it was everywhere. I started feeling kinda weak and sick so I got home as quick as possible, and took a cold shower which did crap all!

Then I go down to my room stealth mode so my parents don't see me and ask wtf is wrong with me and try to explain myself. Im chilling on my computer for 5 minutes just researching this Niacine shit and how bad the flushing is supposed to get, then I started feeling a cold chill coming on. A few minutes later I am shivering uncontrollably.

I say fuck this I am hopping in my bed, where it took me a good 10mins to cool down to the point I wasn't shivering. My feet and hands remained ice cold. I eventually fell asleep for an hour, and woke up feeling very weak and fragile, but all flushing was gone.

Few hours later I was back to normal.

Moral of the story, take this shit with a fat heavy meal, and start lower than 500mg!!

As for my acne, I can honestly say this is the first day in awhile that I did not grow any new zits from the time I woke up until now, 13 hours later!

hahaha this thread is pretty funny. ive never had such an intense flush that i started to feel cold after. i dont mind the flush, its got an adrenaline rush to it, it can be fun to experience sometimes. anyways, i think everyone here now knows to start with lower doses. if i were to start taking it i would start at 100mg and work your way up per 100mg every 3 days. if the flush gets really intense, just sit down, open the window or AC and take your shirt off.

It could be that some people have more adverse side effects to the Niacin than others based on the level of toxin buildup in the fatty tissues of the body. Histamine being released by the body is what causes the itching effect and headaches as well as other side effects. Histamine is a natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins.

How much you suffer from allergies could also determine how bad your bodies response to Niacin may be because histamine is what is released when you have an allergic reaction to pollen, dust, ect. That's why when you have allergies they give you an anti-histamine.

http://healthmad.com/conditions-and-diseas...-and-histamine/

There is some information on Niacin in it's role as a detoxifier here at this site:

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/niacin.htm

The niacin "flush"

It's important to note that this niacin flush is not harmful or dangerous. Some people worry about it, but it is actually a sign of improved blood flow.

When you get the niacin "flush", it's an indication that the niacin is causing small blood vessels in your body to be expanded in size. Many of your small blood vessels, called "capilaries" are so small that blood cells can only go through them in single file. Sometimes, in fact, that small capilary passageway is clogged and blood doesn't get through at all.

While the large organs of the body all have blood supplied from large arteries, a great deal of your body, particularly the parts near the skin, get their ONLY supply of blood (therefore also of oxygen and nutrients) from these small capillaries.

The niacin causes these small capilaries to expand - so they might be able to carry 2 or 3 blood cells at the same time. This is a tremendous increase in blood flow.

You experience this as a "flushing" of the skin, simply because there is more blood close to the surface of the body. As the blood flows in these areas, the cells of the small capilaries will also be getting rid of their waste products, and often they produce 'histamine' as part of this process. That histamine is another natural substance produced by every cell in the body when a cell is under attack, or is eliminating toxins. Histamine causes an 'itchy' feeling.