Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yea definitely improvement... glad to see your doing better. I would go ahead and start using something for the redmarks now, like olive oil or emu oil or that vitamin stuff people talk about -.- doesn't hurt to start early because they take awhile to go away later in your course if you breakout. I think since your already clearing up a bunch then you might not even have any leftover when your course is finished.

And your face isn't really red in those pictures.. at least I don't see that big of a tane glow.

And I'm not saying it looks bad or anything, but what's up with the back of your hair in the 2nd picture?! Have like a Cameron Diaz Theres something about mary thing goin on there o.o

I saw your post in some other log saying about how people were scared away by your pictures, so felt compelled to come by and say, you are wrong about that! You are gorgeous. You have perfect features. And those baby blues...you are a stunner. Please don't pull out the self deprication, you don't need it. :cool: Otherwise it looks like your chin is healing nicely of those actives. Also, your forehead has improved. I know that red marks should go to hell, but keep your chin up, woman, cause you are lovely with or without acne.

I also wanted to tell you you look very pretty and your overall complexion is amazing! You don't have any scars, not even large pores! Once Accutane clears up the active acne you'll be left with nothing to worry about.

Thanks for stopping by at my log and giving me support, you echoed that feeling of looking at yourself w/o make up so well.

Good luck with the rest of the course :thumbsup: (I think the worst is behind you)

Yea I forgot to mention you are pretty sexy, especially those eyes.

And your pores aren't big at all.. lucky lucky you. Your skin is going to look a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Your skin overall at the end of month two has a beautiful tone, and some nice consistent improvement going on there : D

Good luck, I'll keep checking up : )

So, just read your entire log! (Noticed a couple people already wrote that too, but its true!) I agree with all the most recent posts people have left, you're skin really does have a beautiful tone and complexion it doesn't even look like you have pores! You're so pretty! And do you curl your eye lashes or are they naturally that way? They are awesome, I would kill for curled lashes mine are stick straight, I've even contemplated getting them permed!

Hey lady!

Hope things are doing well with you..!

I looked at month 1 and 2 pictures - Wow! You have a beautiful face! (And I can definately see improvement! That's right where you should be at the end of your second month) You have such nice facial features, and those eyes of yours are so pretty!

I have really high hopes for you : ) I know Accutane is going to clear you for good!

Your pictures look great - it's awesome to be able to see improvement like that. Myself, I've noticed a few red spots getting redder on my face already and even one on my forearm that seems out of place!

Regarding your hot flashes in the afternoon, how long after you've taken your morning dose do you notice it? I seem to be getting them around 5 hours after my morning dose which seems to coincide with the maximum concentration of the pill, at least according to the drug insert if I'm reading it right. ;)

Also, the makeup is great - Thanks! Though I got a shade darker than I needed. But it does give me a nice tanned glow which is kind of fun. I haven't used it in public yet, just wanted to test it out the other night at home.

Hello all,

Well nothing new really to report here. But at this point, I will assume no news is good news! All existing acne is still slowly flattening/drying/peeling - then repeating that process a million times. Thank you all for all of the very nice comments - really makes a girl feel good! :)

glx - thanks for the compliments. Lol about the hair! I hadn't even noticed til you said that (I suppose I was too concentrated on my face). I don't know why it is like that, but you're right, it is very Something About Mary-esque! So, I'm interested in this emu oil - but where can I get it? I was at Target yesterday and looked, but I probably looked in all the wrong places. If I can start getting rid of these red marks now that would be great. Have you had success w/ the emu oil?

butterflyblue - I appreciate you stopping by to leave nice comments. No worries, I was not really being down on my self (too much!) - i was just joking w/ the gal whose log I left it on. I think it was rede4bed's log, maybe? She and I have talked a bit back and forth, so I think she knew I was kidding. But thanks for being so positive - it is contagious.

PhoenixBalm - Thanks - I am happy with the overall tone too!

JulyBaby - They are just like that. They actually used to be much more curled (longer, and thicker too) when I was younger. But yes, it is nice to skip that curling step when getting ready in the morning! Thanks!

kimberly ann - I think you are just about one of the nicest people on this board. You always have such positive comments, and I thank you for that. I think a lot of people w/ acne have some self esteem issues, and you have such a positive energy - thank you for that! Hope your 2nd treatment is going well, I'll have to check by your log.

Langwidere - I'm so glad you liked the make-up suggestion. I bought like 3 diff. shades the first time, and now that I'm starting to lose my summer tan I just went back and got another. It's always an experiment! I'm so glad you liked it though! My hot flashes seem to be about 7 hours or so after my morning pill. But it is not everyday - like today I did not have it. Usually I would say about 5/7 days of the week. But they last 2-3 hours it seems. You get them everyday?

Well, I haven't actually used the Emu Oil myself. I have saw where people recommend it or use it for their redmarks and I'm not sure how well it works. I have been using Olive Oil, and I see slight slight improvement.. but I haven't used it long enough probably.

I think you can buy the Emu oil online or at organic food stores maybe? Extra Virgin Olive Oil you can buy anywhere, obviously.

Okay, let's see, what day is it?... Day 64 I think.

Things are just holding steady here, which is why I haven't checked in for awhile. No new actives, still just the same flattening/flaking thing.

It is so nice to not have a painful face anymore. My chin used to hurt so bad. I remember getting up at night to get ice packs b/c of the cysts. It would hurt to eat! So many people don't realize how bad cystic acne hurts.

I don't think about my face nearly as much anymore. It doesn't look too great w/out makeup, b/c of the redmarks - but I can actually stand to look at myself - I like seeing the progress. And after I put my makeup on in the morning, I actually think - wow! My skin looks good then. I can cover redmarks. It's the bumps all over that sucked the worst.

We have family pics tomorrow and I'm looking forward to them. I just don't have the fear of waking up w/ some new massive cyst on my face anymore.

Side effects the same. Neck and back hurting right now pretty bad. Hard to get out of bed some mornings b/c I'm so tired. But I'll deal, it's worth it.

Cystic acne is awful stuff. I had the same problem with it hurting to eat, even smile. If I did open my mouth too wide, I would be leaking which robbed me of what dignity I had left. It was so bad, I washed my face in the kitchen sink (the nozzle was one of those extending ones) because it hurt when my hands brushed across the wrong part of my face. Kudos to being over it!

Hey there, thanks for your nice comments. I hear you on the painful face. I've not had the painful chin, but if my bf would bump my cheek or jaw or something it would hurt. you'd think i had a massive bruise there or something.

I will try to so something about pictures. Perhaps I will just go get my own camera and try to take pictures myself. I don't really want to see pictures but i think it will be good for a frame of reference.

Any tips on dealing with flakeyness? I feel like I moisturize, but i still am flakey especially around my nose, chin, mouth area... I thought my foundation was making it worse but today i used my mineral foundation and flakes still there. not so pretty. oily and acne go together but oily, acne, and flakies make for an interesting combo.

I am running a 7miler in two weeks and I am a little nervous. I really haven't been running as much as I should have been, and I've been running since high school so normally I could wing it, but am not so sure in this case. Anyway, I'm psyched to hear your family photos are not scarey to you anymore. yay!

Hey! I just read through your log :D and I just wanted to stop by and say that from the last pictures you posted, things are looking really good for you! I am so jealous! :) Haha, I start my course in about a month (granted we don't have problems getting the prescription, that is making me nervous!) and I cannot wait to start! Just curious, have you continued using Aquaphor for the chapped lips? And has that been enough to keep them hydrated so they don't crack? I know that I will have to deal with this once I start, and since it's going to be winter I am kind of worried :(

Thanks! and I can't wait to have my own log, full of success stories like you!!! :D

Carly

Hey Keepsgettingbetter!

We have alot in common! I am also a runner, currently training for a full marathon in November, but I am terrified that the side effects of Accutane will prohibit me from training and completing the marathon. I'm only on day 1, so I guess time will tell. I am also a teacher (middle school), and sometimes I wish I worked only with adults. At least adults know its rude to stare at pimples! LOL How did your family pics go? Keep us posted on your progress!

Day 70 (or tomorrow is anyway - so close enough!)

Acne Status:

Soooo happy to report that things are going very well. I can't remember the last time my face looked this good. There are no cysts on my face right now - not even left over stuff from inactive ones. The only place I have any active pimples is on both sides of my face (right where my sweat drips down when I workout). There are a few tiny flesh colored bumps on my cheeks (approx 5 of them). I'm hoping these don't turn into full-fledged pimples.

Regimen:

AM:

Wash with just water or cetaphil cleanser

Thin layer of cetaphil moisturizer

Thin layer of aquaphor under lipstick

(apply aquaphor on lips as needed throughout day)

PM:

Wash with Burt's Bees All Natural Orange face wash (I think this has helped w/ redmarks, maybe)

Cetephil moisturizer (liberal amount)

Small layer or aquaphor on dry flakey acne spots

Aquaphor on lips and inside of nose

My redmarks are getting much better for the most part. I'm looking forward to showing pics soon! I hope I don't get a breakout before I do.

Side Effects:

This sucks pretty much!!! My back aches and my ankles are killing me!!!! I hate this so much - but I'm hanging in there. It won't last forever, and it will be worth it!

Rede4bed - Hope you are doing well! I almost forgot about my face hurting even when I smiled, but YES! That was miserable. I hope we are both over this for good in a few short months!!!

Smileygirl - The flakeyness seems to be par for the course - and I hated it even more when I was oily at the same time. The oiliness will go away though. Now that I'm not breaking out anymore I put Aquaphor on the really flakey spots. I would wait though until you are not experiencing breakouts. As for the run, I wish you luck! I ran a 5 mi. about a month after being on accutane. A normal run for me at the time was between 5-7 miles. I had take about a week off due to vacation, but it should have been no problem for me. I struggled a lot during that run, and now I know why. I've had to cut my runs down to about 2-3 miles at a shot.

giety87 - Thank-you for the nice comments! I'm really happy with the results thus far. Yes, I am still using aquaphor - I put it on about 5 times a day and a thick layer before bed. My lips have not cracked yes, so I hope that with the winter months ahead that doesn't happen. Good luck with your course!

MelissaD - We do have a lot in common. Although I've never done a full - good for you! I'm hoping to train for another half once I finish my course. The side effects have unfortunately hit my running pretty hard. I'm just trying to do what I can and not beat myself up about it too bad. It is pretty frustrating though. Ugh, middle schoolers - I bet they are not so polite sometimes. My first graders will ask (or they used to) - but they were just curious. It still hurt though! And family pics were good, thanks for asking!

Day 74

Not much to report here. Still no cysts. I really could live with the acne I have now - but of course now I'm not settling for anything less than clear! It's just so nice not to have huge throbbing painful cysts.

Still struggling with the sides of my face, but my hair completely covers it, so it's ok. There's about 4-5 actives on each side - it's like right in front of my ears. I'll have to show a pic next time I upload.

I had a late night last night - but by even 10:00 my back was killing me, and my ankles hurt so bad. I felt so exhausted, which is NOT LIKE ME! I just can't wait for this part to be over with so I can start feeling like myself again.

Found out a girl I work with is also on accutane, so that will be nice to have someone to talk to about it - besides all of you! :)

You seem to be doing pretty good so far. Good luck and hang in there!

I was on 80 mg for a few days but just dropped back to 40 mg per day because of some odd side effects with shedding eyebrows. Hopefully, I can tough it out!

Congrats and good luck! I also didn't have acne until after having 2 kids. I think I may be the oldest one here on this board. I am a 37 yr old female and just started my accutane today. Only 20 mg to start. I am really nervous about the initial breakout. I am starting this with very little acne. I have been on spironolactone and topicals that have been working but not on the cystic stuff. I only have two cystic nodules on my face right now and am scared to see my somewhat clear skin totally covered. Did you find that you are getting more acne now than you ever had or is it just like a really bad normal breakout?

That's awesome that someone you work with is on it too, I wish I had that, I love talking to everyone here, but talking to someone in person who is experiencing the same thing is different in a good way. Hope things are still going well!

Hello all! Haven't been around much for awhile, but I'm not obsessing about my skin anymore, so that's probably why! :D

Went for my 3 month check-up. Same old, same old - just asking and answering questions, and getting my lab order. I'm super backed up on pills though! I've been taking 2 pills a day, then 1 pill a day - so I have a ton sitting around.

Face is looking good! One little break out in the middle of my left cheek. There were about 4-5 little skin colored bumps there that finally surfaced, but it's been very tolerable. Everything else is almost - smooth! What a word to use for my face!

Tired, tired, tired...sore, sore, sore. But still plugging along. It's hard not to feel like myself, but I'm halfway through!! And, it really went fast, looking back. So I hope these last 3 months do the same.

DudeinFL - Thanks! Hope your course is going well. Shedding eyebrows!? I'd cut back on dosage too! I've never heard of that one before.

way2old4acne - Good for you for starting your course. I wish I would have done this 10 yrs ago, but hindsight's 20/20, right? I found that I had a lot more surface acne after starting accutane, esp. with my IB. I typically had cystic acne - that would later explode onto the surface. But now my complexion is the best it has looked for a VERY long time! So the IB was pretty miserable, but I'd go through it again to get to where I am now.

JulyBaby - it is nice to have someone to talk to. Thanks for checking in with me!

It's great to hear that Accutane is working well for you! I love your positive attitude. I know exactly what you mean about how painful cystic acne can be - I remember when it used to feel like my chin was constantly throbbing. Isn't it awesome to be able to look in the mirror and smile?

Take care of yourself!

Hi there! Another "old" person mama and teacher! Wow, there's really a lot of us on here. Just read your log, glad to see you're doing well. Definitely stick through those side effects, it's totally worth it. I've never seen my skin look so great (I'm in month 5). I have tons of red marks and don't feel comfortable going out without makeup yet, but I'm sure I'll get there. I had a comment on my blog saying that it must be easier to have acne and kids, the kids being a distraction from the acne. I've got to say that I disagree with that. Your post about your daughters comment really hit home with me. My little one is too young to string together very many words yet, but I totally identify with how you feel. I think having acne and being a mom just makes things harder because you can't focus on what you really want to/ should be focusing on. Anyway, best wishes!

Hello : )

Nice to see you've updated!

I'm so glad you're skin is doing great! I couldn't be happier for you, really.

I doubt you will EVER have issues with your skin again! : )

Take care now!