Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, here goes. Not really expecting anyone to read this, but if you do thanks. Just a way for me to record my thoughts and keep track of what's going on as I start down this road.

I've struggled with acne for approx. 1/2 my life. It has always bothered me, but I feel like it has gotten progressively worse. I cannot for the life of me remember the last time I left my house without make-up on (God, the freedom). But, it seems as if in high school and college I was better able to cover it.

I have 3 kids, and during each of my pregnancies my acne virtually went away - not completely, but to the point I could stand looking at myself after washing my face. It always came back, usually around the time I stopped BF'ing.

Reading these boards, I hear myself echoing the rest, "I've tried it all". It seems as if my acne is resistant; something will work for awhile, but eventually the acne comes back. Use of the word "frustrated" doesn't do the way I feel justice. :wall:

My dermatologist asked me if I wanted to try tane a year ago, but I was scared, so I opted to try something else first. Hindsight is 20/20, if only I had started then, I'd be clear by now! Ugh. But, here I am, no looking back, right?

I am on day 7 of my treatment, one week down. I have just started to notice the chapped lips, super annoying. My skin seems dry and greasy at the same time - that's nothing new, topicals always did that to me. I have a couple active cysts on the left side of my chin (my chin! always painful!). Other than that, just the random scattering that is usually there. Overall, acne doesn't seem worse, or better to speak of. My chin sure does hurt though.

We are leaving for Vegas tomorrow, have had this trip planned for months. I called my derm. to ask about the alcohol thing, and she said I should be fine, as long as I don't binge drink every weekend. This does seem pretty different than what most people say on here, though, so we'll see. I'm nervous about the sun sensitivity. I'm fairly tan, and spend a lot of time in the sun, but haven't yet since starting the tane, so I guess time will tell on that too.

As far as stats, I weigh 135 lbs. and am on 40 mg. I don't really understand the dosage - it seems like it goes up eventually? Is that to get your body adjusted?

If you read this far, thanks, much appreciated. I know it is helpful to read others' stories on here, so maybe this will help someone.

Edited by keepsgettingbetter

Well, here goes. Not really expecting anyone to read this, but if you do thanks. Just a way for me to record my thoughts and keep track of what's going on as I start down this road.

I've struggled with acne for approx. 1/2 my life. It has always bothered me, but I feel like it has gotten progressively worse. I cannot for the life of me remember the last time I left my house without make-up on (God, the freedom). But, it seems as if in high school and college I was better able to cover it.

I have 3 kids, and during each of my pregnancies my acne virtually went away - not completely, but to the point I could stand looking at myself after washing my face. It always came back, usually around the time I stopped BF'ing.

Reading these boards, I hear myself echoing the rest, "I've tried it all". It seems as if my acne is resistant; something will work for awhile, but eventually the acne comes back. Use of the word "frustrated" doesn't do the way I feel justice. :wall:

My dermatologist asked me if I wanted to try tane a year ago, but I was scared, so I opted to try something else first. Hindsight is 20/20, if only I had started then, I'd be clear by now! Ugh. But, here I am, no looking back, right?

I am on day 7 of my treatment, one week down. I have just started to notice the chapped lips, super annoying. My skin seems dry and greasy at the same time - that's nothing new, topicals always did that to me. I have a couple active cysts on the left side of my chin (my chin! always painful!). Other than that, just the random scattering that is usually there. Overall, acne doesn't seem worse, or better to speak of. My chin sure does hurt though.

We are leaving for Vegas tomorrow, have had this trip planned for months. I called my derm. to ask about the alcohol thing, and she said I should be fine, as long as I don't binge drink every weekend. This does seem pretty different than what most people say on here, though, so we'll see. I'm nervous about the sun sensitivity. I'm fairly tan, and spend a lot of time in the sun, but haven't yet since starting the tane, so I guess time will tell on that too.

As far as stats, I weigh 135 lbs. and am on 40 mg. I don't really understand the dosage - it seems like it goes up eventually? Is that to get your body adjusted?

If you read this far, thanks, much appreciated. I know it is helpful to read others' stories on here, so maybe this will help someone.

Hi,

I just wanted to welcome another " 30 yr old grandma" to the group. I have found everyone on here to be great and very helpful. All experiences have helped me. I did read all the way through and will check in with you. I am on week two and am definitely going through a MAJOR cystic break out. Congratulations for taking the big step!

Red

redtwo - thanks for the welcome, i'm glad you responded. good to know i'm not the only ancient one around here! I only wish i hadn't of waited until the elderly age of 30 to take care of this problem!

Well, I'm back from Vegas - and seem to have survived. I feel like the "accutane god" was with me, b/c there was never a day where the sun was out for very long - it was overcast almost the whole time. Which normally would have annoyed me, but I was so thankful when I was laying by the pool with a drink in my hand that the drink was the only thing I had to worry about. I did drink, but only one night of the three was a crazy one. I don't have my next labs for two weeks, so I hope that it all works out okay. I did have the okay from my derm. though, so it's not like I was going against policy.

Ugh! My lips!!! I've been using carmex 4-5x's per day, and still, so dry! They just flake and flake! Good thing the nude, glossy look is in right now (according to my magazine I read on the flight), b/c that's about all I can do at this point.

My skin still has the greasy/dry thing going on. I feel like all the little hard bumps I've had under my skin for God knows how long, are coming to the surface, but that's a great thing, b/c they are not flaring, I can just kind of scratch them off when they surface. Four active cysts on my chin right now, but they are not flaring into the huge, sore kind I am used to getting. They are also doing the dry, flaky thing, just flaking off in layers.

I have breakouts on my hair line, just by my ears, but that's not new. I didn't mention in my previous post that I run - anywhere from 15 to 25 miles a week, so those are mostly due to my sweating. I never really had them there before I starting running, approx. 1 year ago. Nothing new seems to be going on with them, no better, no worse.

I think I read somewhere that the end of the second week can be bad, so crossing fingers that that is not the case for me!

Keep us updated! I am starting in a few weeks (don't you love Ipledge). I am a 39/yo mom of 2. I have the same problem- cystic acne on my chin that won't go away. It's frustrating. Accutane was suggested to me last fall, but I wasn't ready (I can still chicken out??). I am so ready to be done with the surprise cysts that show up every month!

I have heard carmex is not the greatest - a lot of people use aquaphor. You can actually find small pocket size tubes at Target - I have started using it and really like it as a lip moisturizer (it's cheaper than the other stuff I use from the department store).

Good luck on your course and I will check for updates!

Day 13

Not much new to note. No new flares, just the same old peely zits. They just seem to have layer upon layer. Very different than what i'm used to - which is the kind that fester under my skin forever, and then finally erupt very painfully. This is much better!

My skin feels very bumpy and uneven. Maybe lots of little ones surfacing? Idk for sure.

Switched from carmex to aquaphor, seems to be helping the chapped lips. Although, I still have to reapply about 3-4 x's a day.

Almost to the 2 week mark!

hey ^^ hoping the best for u.....btw,about the dosage...im on 30 mg...and i know ppl on 20mg even...and the good thing is that it doesnt give u headaches,backaches,weird jointaches and nosebleeds...it is safer and it works also quite good...although i think ill ask my doc to raise it to 60mg after a month or such...ill not go higher than 60 mg...

Let's hear it for the 30-somethings here!

My second round of bloodwork is tomorrow. If all goes well, I should be taking my first pill sometime next week.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Special Agent - yes, so glad I'm not the only old lady on here! Nice to know I'm not the only adult suffering through this - together it is!

Emily Rose - i'm not experiencing any aches so far, or nose bleeds. I did have headaches the first couple of days, but since then I've been fine. I am a runner, though, so sometimes I wonder if I'm getting tired more quickly these days b/c of the claravis. It's hard to tell though, b/c every run is different. I plan on talking to my dr. about dosage next time I go in, to see what her thoughts are on how high I will go.

So now I am at about 2 1/2 weeks. I think things are worse overall from last time I posted. I woke up this morning w/ about 4 whiteheads, I haven't had a whitehead since I started. I have 3 cysts along my jaw line, and a mass of zits on the left side of my chin. Also had a few pop up between my top lip and my nose - man do those hurt!! That is such a sore place to get zits.

My chapped lips are getting worse, but I have found aquaphor to work way better than carmex. The carmex would provide instant relief, but then the dryness would come back worse, w/in an hour. Starting to notice more drying of my skin overall. Before it was just my zits that were drying, but now i notice flakes around my nose.

Anyone have good covering makeup that they like? I like using a cream to powder, just b/c it seems to provide more coverage. I used Mary Kay for years, but lately I've been using L'oreal's and I do like it. Wondered if anyone had something they swore by? I've also tried Mac lately, but it was really greasy and didn't cover well.

I'm a teacher, and I have training this Thur/Fri, then go back for good next week on Thurs. I was sooo hoping my face would be more clear by the time I started, but going to try to keep my head up.

So, got a little depressed today. Usually I try to "rise above" so to speak, but it got to me today. My 4 year old asked, "mommy, what's wrong with your face?" :cry: She of course didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but...it hurts.

Almost cried tonight, but didn't. Went for a run - at least I can control my body to some extent, so that's nice. Plus running clears my head, so it helped.

Keep waiting to see the me in the mirror that I see in my head. I feel like under all of the acne, I am actually kind of pretty, but it's hard to feel that way when your face hurts. I want to wake up in the morning w/out instantly reaching up to feel my face, wondering what new is there.

Wish I could go to sleep and wake up 5 months from now.

Today is day 20.

The difference a day makes. My skin looks pretty good today??! Still the breakout to the left of my chin, but it is in the drying stage now.

I feel like the parts of my face that do not have any break outs look good. Like the best in years - my skin on my nose and cheeks actually looks healthy. The pores are small, and my skin just looks more fresh.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people say their red marks are worse while on accutane - mine seems better? Is this weird? I have virtually no marks on my cheeks, and I know there were some there before. Besides my actual active stuff, I really don't have any marks, just the ones that have just ended.

It's my 9 yr. wedding anniversary today. :wub:

Hey there! Congratulations on your anniversary!

Hitting all the side effects at the beginning of the course is the worst part, I think. Stick to plenty of Aquaphor, moisturizer and sunscreen and you'll be fine.

Keep it up! It's great that you're seeing improvements already!

Almost to the end of week 4! That went faster than I thought it would. Wish I had better new to report...!

Still flaring about every 3 to 4 days, then it dries up, calms down, just to flare again. But, I take a deep breath and go with it. I mean, it's par for the course, right?

Went to the derm for my first check up today. She said my acne is pretty typical at this point in the treatment. She really upped my dosage though, I was surprised. I was on 40 mg. once a day, now I'm doing 40 mg. twice a day!

I told her that I'm really feeling the fatigue/muscle aches/joint pain. The fact that I'm training for a 1/2 doesn't help. She told me I may have to take it down a notch. Hmm. Anyone who loves running know that is easier said than done! But she also said that if I really am feeling fatigued I could just take 2 on one day, 1 the next, and just do the every other day type thing. So, we'll see. Go in my blood test and such this week, hope all is well.

George's Sister and rede4bed - thanks for the congrats!

Almost to the end of week 4! That went faster than I thought it would. Wish I had better new to report...!

Still flaring about every 3 to 4 days, then it dries up, calms down, just to flare again. But, I take a deep breath and go with it. I mean, it's par for the course, right?

Went to the derm for my first check up today. She said my acne is pretty typical at this point in the treatment. She really upped my dosage though, I was surprised. I was on 40 mg. once a day, now I'm doing 40 mg. twice a day!

I told her that I'm really feeling the fatigue/muscle aches/joint pain. The fact that I'm training for a 1/2 doesn't help. She told me I may have to take it down a notch. Hmm. Anyone who loves running know that is easier said than done! But she also said that if I really am feeling fatigued I could just take 2 on one day, 1 the next, and just do the every other day type thing. So, we'll see. Go in my blood test and such this week, hope all is well.

George's Sister and rede4bed - thanks for the congrats!

Hello Keepsgettingbetter,

Thanks for posting in my log, appreciate it.

- Maybe the second time around Accutane will reduce even more oil than I produced after my first course. That would be a blessing.

- I have been counting down the days until I start my treatment! 23 more days? Hmm I wish it was tomorrow!

Thank you very much for the compliment!

I hope the rest of your course goes well! I see you're 4 weeks in already; you'll be seeing improvments in no time! : )

Still early days yet, but glad you got your dosage upped - don't be surprised if you get a breakout in the next week that seems a little more severe than your average ones - I've had one, just from a 15mg increase!!!

Best of luck : )

Still early days yet, but glad you got your dosage upped - don't be surprised if you get a breakout in the next week that seems a little more severe than your average ones - I've had one, just from a 15mg increase!!!

Best of luck : )

I'm expecting that yes, but also a little worried. Doesn't it seem like 40 mg upped to 80 mg is a lot!?

OK, got up some nerve to post pics. I am on Day 27. Wish I had been brave enough to take before pics, but, this will have to do. Everything looks pretty red, b/c I just got out of the shower, hence the towel on my head. :)

Everything is pretty dry and flaky. Chin is about 25% active, the rest is drying. Worst areas: chin, specifically my left side; and my left side hairline. (My left side hates me right now).

Cysts are diminishing, skin is very paperlike over them. Inside of my nose started hurting today.

I'm not brave enough to post full pics of my face yet, but maybe as it gets better I will. I am saving a full face shot of each month, so I'm thinking I'll do a side by side thing at the end.

Chin:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/chin.jpg

Forehead:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/forehead.jpg

Left Side:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/leftside.jpg

Right Side:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/rightside.jpg

And there you have it.

OK, got up some nerve to post pics. I am on Day 27. Wish I had been brave enough to take before pics, but, this will have to do. Everything looks pretty red, b/c I just got out of the shower, hence the towel on my head. :)

Everything is pretty dry and flaky. Chin is about 25% active, the rest is drying. Worst areas: chin, specifically my left side; and my left side hairline. (My left side hates me right now).

Cysts are diminishing, skin is very paperlike over them. Inside of my nose started hurting today.

I'm not brave enough to post full pics of my face yet, but maybe as it gets better I will. I am saving a full face shot of each month, so I'm thinking I'll do a side by side thing at the end.

Chin:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/chin.jpg

Forehead:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/forehead.jpg

Left Side:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/leftside.jpg

Right Side:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j122/nat1144/rightside.jpg

And there you have it.

Good luck in your treatment! =)

Ugh!! The left side of my face. Seriously, it is so bad. I keep waiting everyday for it to go down, but everyday a couple more puff up. Sigh...

Start back to work tomorrow. I was so wishing things would be looking better.

But, my running is still going ok. I've been worried about fatigue, but I was able to run 8 miles 2 days ago. Took last night off, and then did a quick 2 tonight. I'm hoping to run another 1/2 in about 3 weeks, so I hope my upped dosage doesn't make things harder for me.

I just read like your whole log up til this last one lol.

Just wanted to say good luck and thanks for stopping by my log. I'm also 130 lbs 40 mg (I have a feeling I'll be upped too eventually).

For make up...I don't know, I'm kinda looking for something new because I feel like theres something better out there, BUT for now its working fine for me:

-neutrogena skin clearing make up

-neutrogena skin clearing oil free concealer

-bare minerals mineral veil (as a setting powder) -> sephora/ulta has it individually i think if you don't want to order the whole set.

Tell you what...I'm a college student, I don't go back to school for another 5 days and I NEED to find out which make up routine will work best to cover/conceal but not do anything harsh to my skin. I will test out the products I already have at home and I will let you know what I think works best. And if none of em are doing it for me I will do some research and keep you posted...because I definitely don't want to look all flaky/greasy/pimple-y at school lol.

FYI-cheeks are super dry, t-zone is normal but I still have to put a little bit of moisturizer on it, and around my lips, my chin, and jawline are just dry but not SUPER dry. Just wanted to tell you that so you know what kind of skin I'm trying to work with for this make up experiment lol.

SORRY THIS WAS SO LONG

rede4bed - Thanks :) It is looking a little better right now, so I hope it continues to go that way.

charstar - Thanks for posting. Let me know how it goes w/ the makeup, I'm always up for something new. I am also not super dry - just mostly around my acne is where I am experiencing some flaking. Good luck with the start of school!

Ugh!!! So annoying! So, last Friday I went and had my blood done. Waited for a phone call from derm. on Monday...nothing. Finally called today (I should've called sooner), and they never received my stuff from the lab!!!

So, called the lab, had it faxed, derm. called me this afternoon - now I only have til Thurs. to get it filled. Seriously!!! It wasn't my fault they screwed up. So I answered my questions, and I am going to try to go and pick it up in about an hour - but the pharmacy is so stupid that I go to, I hope they even have some. Last time I went, she tells me that I hadn't answered my questions yet. Which I had, but she hadn't checked it since the previous day. Don't you think she should have checked that first before she told me that?

Back to school night tonight - kids come back tomorrow. At least my face is better today than the last 3 or 4.

No new cysts at the moment. Three or four that are dying down: peeling and getting flat. Blackheads are literally falling out of my nose. Forehead pretty clear, just a couple peelies. Chin is still my prob. area - mostly the sides of my chin. A couple on my lower cheeks and jawline.

Upping the dosage tomorrow (if I get my prescription!)