Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kimberlyannEMT

Kimberly's Accutane Log

Hey guys,

I'm not exactly "new" to Acne.org, I've been on here before but never really posted anything. I actually was on here about a year ago when I started my first Accutane course back in late July of 2008. I was on the medication for 5 months, I ended it in early January of 2009. With great success, I was cleared 100%!

Unfortunately.. I am here again. The Accutane really kept my skin under control for about 6 months after I had stopped the treatment.. I mean, I got the occasional few little pimples.. But I treated everything successfully with Mario Badescu.. Recently I broke out while on vacation.. :confused: I broke out around my mouth and chin area.. They were painful and very, very itchy pimples popping up one after another everyday of my vacation.. Of course, having clear skin for 6 months... I WAS DEVASTATED.

So! I've decided to go back to my dermatologist and ask to be put on Accutane again. I hope he'll put me back on it.. Has anyone done a successful second course of Accutane? Did you're doctor willingly put you back on? Were there any differences in how the Accutane worked the second time?

Please reply! I am looking for some encouragement! I would love to have people give me their insight on this. Thanks!

(I'll give a detailed history of my acne if people start replying)

Here are some pictures I took Just now, I Just washed my face and put on some moisturizer:

Full Face

Right Side Chin

Left Side Chin

Left Side Chin (better detail)

Beleive me when I say these pictures don't do my skin any justice.. It looks way worse in person. This is actually a good skin day though for me. Do you think that my derm will prescribe me Accutane with this kind of acne? It's very persistent.

Edited by kimberly_ann

Hey guys,

I'm not exactly "new" to Acne.org, I've been on here before but never really posted anything. I actually was on here about a year ago when I started my first Accutane course back in late July of 2008. I was on the medication for 5 months, I ended it in early January of 2009. With great success, I was cleared 100%!

Unfortunately.. I am here again. The Accutane really kept my skin under control for about 6 months after I had stopped the treatment.. I mean, I got the occasional few little pimples.. But I treated everything successfully with Mario Badescu.. Recently I broke out while on vacation.. :confused: I broke out around my mouth and chin area.. They were painful and very, very itchy pimples popping up one after another everyday of my vacation.. Of course, having clear skin for 6 months... I WAS DEVASTATED.

So! I've decided to go back to my dermatologist and ask to be put on Accutane again. I hope he'll put me back on it.. Has anyone done a successful second course of Accutane? Did you're doctor willingly put you back on? Were there any differences in how the Accutane worked the second time?

Please reply! I am looking for some encouragement! I would love to have people give me their insight on this. Thanks!

how bad was your acne before your first treatment of accutane? and how bad it is now? if its only a few pimples that you are getting now and they are not cystic or anything I think a topical such as retin-a will do wonders for you! But if its really bothering you I think your derm will let you go on tane again for a 2nd course.

Hey guys,

how bad was your acne before your first treatment of accutane? and how bad it is now? if its only a few pimples that you are getting now and they are not cystic or anything I think a topical such as retin-a will do wonders for you! But if its really bothering you I think your derm will let you go on tane again for a 2nd course.

Hey Johnny,

Well before the Accutane my skin was pretty bad, I had moderate acne that would absolutely not go away and I've tried a lot of OTC treatments, and then moved on to prescription topicals such as: Benzaclin, Finacea, and Tretinoin cream, there might have been more but I can't remember. All of the things I tried either made it worse or did nothing whatsoever but burn my skin. I'm sort of afraid my doctor will prescribe me Just that, retin-a or something along those lines.. I really don't want to mess with topicals again.. They never worked on my skin and I have a feeling that I'd be wasting my time if I were to try again :(

As of right now, my acne isn't too severe or anything.. But to me.. They way it's behaving is moderate acne. It's painful when one comes up and I will sometimes get those nasty whiteheads! They're real embarrassing. I guess you'll have to be the Judge.. My pictures will be up soon.

p.s. do you have any idea how to put a link up to a photobucket for pictures? I have pictures I Just took but have no idea on how to put them up in a link in here!

Hey guys,

Hey Johnny,

Well before the Accutane my skin was pretty bad, I had moderate acne that would absolutely not go away and I've tried a lot of OTC treatments, and then moved on to prescription topicals such as: Benzaclin, Finacea, and Tretinoin cream, there might have been more but I can't remember. All of the things I tried either made it worse or did nothing whatsoever but burn my skin. I'm sort of afraid my doctor will prescribe me Just that, retin-a or something along those lines.. I really don't want to mess with topicals again.. They never worked on my skin and I have a feeling that I'd be wasting my time if I were to try again :(

As of right now, my acne isn't too severe or anything.. But to me.. They way it's behaving is moderate acne. It's painful when one comes up and I will sometimes get those nasty whiteheads! They're real embarrassing. I guess you'll have to be the Judge.. My pictures will be up soon.

p.s. do you have any idea how to put a link up to a photobucket for pictures? I have pictures I Just took but have no idea on how to put them up in a link in here!

Yeah topicals are very annoying, and I know you really want to just take tane again. I am sure your derm will be willing to prescribe you tane again. ask him for a low dose treatment that way you can minimize your side-effects and still achieve the same results as a traditional course! about uploading your photos try using a site like tinypic.com and upload your photos there and just provide the url in your post that's probably the easiest way I can think of. I hope everything works out great for you!! I am actually currently on my 3rd course of tane. I`m really hoping and praying that this will do the trick this time! best of luck! feel free to ask me any questions

Yeah topicals are very annoying, and I know you really want to just take tane again. I am sure your derm will be willing to prescribe you tane again. ask him for a low dose treatment that way you can minimize your side-effects and still achieve the same results as a traditional course! about uploading your photos try using a site like tinypic.com and upload your photos there and just provide the url in your post that's probably the easiest way I can think of. I hope everything works out great for you!! I am actually currently on my 3rd course of tane. I`m really hoping and praying that this will do the trick this time! best of luck! feel free to ask me any questions

Well I sure hope he does prescribe it again. The doctor that actually prescribed me last year was a totally different doctor.. Throughout the Accutane.. I was seeing 5 different derms (hahaha scandelous!). Which is why I'm hoping he will, because he's a very cautious doctor.. I'm afraid he will look down on the Accutane because he wont think I need it this time.

Well the pictures are a fail! I'm a little upset about that.. I really wanted everyone to see so I could get opinions. Well like I said I use photobucket.. I Just need to know how to get pictures up.

Hey if I may ask, why are you on your third course of Accutane? How many years did the other treatments last? I am sure Accutane will finally get rid of it for good this time! Third time's a charm ;)!

I am currently on my second treatment. However, my acne came back just as bad if not worse.*

If nothing else is working for you and your acne is severe enough and your derm is understanding, then you should be able to go back on tane. Those are the stipulations, plain and simple.

*I was on 80 mg a day for 5 months, but i cleared up in 3 perfectly and my mom took me off because of some mood swings. So I am not fully reliable on a clear reason as to why the acne came back worse.

I am currently on my second treatment. However, my acne came back just as bad if not worse.*

If nothing else is working for you and your acne is severe enough and your derm is understanding, then you should be able to go back on tane. Those are the stipulations, plain and simple.

*I was on 80 mg a day for 5 months, but i cleared up in 3 perfectly and my mom took me off because of some mood swings. So I am not fully reliable on a clear reason as to why the acne came back worse.

Hey Jonima,

So let me get this straight.. After you were pulled off your first course.. Your acne came back worse than before? Maybe it was because the dosage was so high and then having you pulled off too soon had something to do with it (I know the dose is determined by weight but I have no idea how much you weigh, 80mg a day sounds high to me!). I'm sorry that you had to deal with the mood swings, I don't ever remember dealing with any mood issues when I was on.

And yes well I hope he'll be in an understanding mood!

I don't think it's really that bad atm, but I hear most people that go on it a second time say that theirs wasn't really that bad but since they were on it before, it was easier to get back on it. I think you could probably go back on it just because you were already on it and probably(IDK) went through all of that topical crap or antibiotics and those didn't work.

Just say it's been getting worse and worse and you want to take it again.

I don't think it's really that bad atm, but I hear most people that go on it a second time say that theirs wasn't really that bad but since they were on it before, it was easier to get back on it. I think you could probably go back on it just because you were already on it and probably(IDK) went through all of that topical crap or antibiotics and those didn't work.

Just say it's been getting worse and worse and you want to take it again.

Hey gLx,

Yeah, it isn't as bad as it was when I first went on Accutane.. But regardless.. It has comeback and it isn't really getting too much better.. I hope you're right when you say that I might be able to get back on it easier.. Actually.. I wasn't on too many topicals before Accutane.. I think I tried Benzaclin, Finacea, and Tretinoin cream.. But that's it..

Thank you so much! You're really making feel alot more hopeful! I hope I can go back on it! :)

Hey Jonima,

So let me get this straight.. After you were pulled off your first course.. Your acne came back worse than before? Maybe it was because the dosage was so high and then having you pulled off too soon had something to do with it (I know the dose is determined by weight but I have no idea how much you weigh, 80mg a day sounds high to me!). I'm sorry that you had to deal with the mood swings, I don't ever remember dealing with any mood issues when I was on.

At the time, I weighed about 155 lbs, which is the normal range for 80 mg. my acne came back, and it definitely was as bad, but only after 7 months. My skin stayed clear for that 7 months, then it got bad, if not worse. I think it was because I didn't finish the treatment.

Now I am a year older and weigh about 165 and I am on 60 mg a day, which is not enough, considering I have already been on 80 mg and I am heavier. My derm even said I should be on 80, but I am always out in the sun and constantly using my joints in soccer, so she was trying to avoid that.

ok heres the deal im post accutane 4-7 months now and my acne is back with the sickness i hate it i was so clear and everybody complimented my skin the last couple months on it and the first months off it but now my skin is almost as bad or just as bad as it use to b so im goin for another course next month

Hey Jonima,

ok heres the deal im post accutane 4-7 months now and my acne is back with the sickness i hate it i was so clear and everybody complimented my skin the last couple months on it and the first months off it but now my skin is almost as bad or just as bad as it use to b so im goin for another course next month

Hey Jonima,

At the time, I weighed about 155 lbs, which is the normal range for 80 mg. my acne came back, and it definitely was as bad, but only after 7 months. My skin stayed clear for that 7 months, then it got bad, if not worse. I think it was because I didn't finish the treatment.

Now I am a year older and weigh about 165 and I am on 60 mg a day, which is not enough, considering I have already been on 80 mg and I am heavier. My derm even said I should be on 80, but I am always out in the sun and constantly using my joints in soccer, so she was trying to avoid that.

if u wanna kno the truth u look beautiful in your pic .....everyone hates acne but think of it this way u could be in a wheel chair or missing a arm or have cancer so acne isnt the worst thing in the world although it seems like it when u have it trust me i know .....i hope my second course does the trick i think i broke out so bad though cuz after accutane i dint care never washed my face when i showered or anything cuz i thought i was invincible to acne post accutane but i should have kept up on my skin maybe even got a cream to put on. its better than all the sudden breaking out like crazy and not wanting to go into public acne crushes social lives i never had acne when i was in highschool my skin was always beautiful everyone wanted my skin cuz i have the perfect puerto rican tan thanks to my dad .....but when i was 20 i tottaly started breaking out wit cystic acne and it ruined my life ..... when i was acne free for those 6 months i was a new person loved life had so many girlfriends it was crazy but now im rite back where i started wishing i had someone elses skin ..........but god bless im gonna go to bed now good luck everyone

if u wanna kno the truth u look beautiful in your pic .....everyone hates acne but think of it this way u could be in a wheel chair or missing a arm or have cancer so acne isnt the worst thing in the world although it seems like it when u have it trust me i know .....i hope my second course does the trick i think i broke out so bad though cuz after accutane i dint care never washed my face when i showered or anything cuz i thought i was invincible to acne post accutane but i should have kept up on my skin maybe even got a cream to put on. its better than all the sudden breaking out like crazy and not wanting to go into public acne crushes social lives i never had acne when i was in highschool my skin was always beautiful everyone wanted my skin cuz i have the perfect puerto rican tan thanks to my dad .....but when i was 20 i tottaly started breaking out wit cystic acne and it ruined my life ..... when i was acne free for those 6 months i was a new person loved life had so many girlfriends it was crazy but now im rite back where i started wishing i had someone elses skin ..........but god bless im gonna go to bed now good luck everyone

Hey Locolife357,

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.. Although.. That picture was during my first Accutane treatment.. Which is why I look so good. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of myself when I had acne before Accutane last year.. Otherwise I think you might understand why I want to go on a second course (to avoid going back to skin like that!) .. Even though my skin isn't looking horrificly bad at the moment.

I don't have horrible acne right now.. But I'm scared that it might be slowly coming to that if I don't do anything about it. This is why I want to try Accutane again.. In hopes that maybe this is the kick in the butt my acne needs to be gone for good.

You're so right, Accutane is a miracle worker.. It changes your life, namely your social life.. You feel so much more confident about yourself and even though I felt I had a great social life before Accutane... It made my confidence sky high.

Good luck to you on your second course.

Hey Locolife357,

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.. Although.. That picture was during my first Accutane treatment.. Which is why I look so good. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of myself when I had acne before Accutane last year.. Otherwise I think you might understand why I want to go on a second course (to avoid going back to skin like that!) .. Even though my skin isn't looking horrificly bad at the moment.

I don't have horrible acne right now.. But I'm scared that it might be slowly coming to that if I don't do anything about it. This is why I want to try Accutane again.. In hopes that maybe this is the kick in the butt my acne needs to be gone for good.

You're so right, Accutane is a miracle worker.. It changes your life, namely your social life.. You feel so much more confident about yourself and even though I felt I had a great social life before Accutane... It made my confidence sky high.

Good luck to you on your second course.

fasho ur acne isnt bad at all so hopefully the second course will hit it like it needs to ive heard of people going on three or four courses and i hope thats not what i need.....ur young when i was ur age i never had acne i dunno why .....but at 20 like i said it hit hard....so it could jus b a faze for u but good luck keep in touch ill let u kno about my second course 2 like i said ur a beautiful girl though acne or not i dont see what kinda guy wouldnt wanna date u .....G-luck...and godbless

fasho ur acne isnt bad at all so hopefully the second course will hit it like it needs to ive heard of people going on three or four courses and i hope thats not what i need.....ur young when i was ur age i never had acne i dunno why .....but at 20 like i said it hit hard....so it could jus b a faze for u but good luck keep in touch ill let u kno about my second course 2 like i said ur a beautiful girl though acne or not i dont see what kinda guy wouldnt wanna date u .....G-luck...and godbless

Yes hopefully! IF I get to go back on a second course that is..

Yeah I have heard of a lot of people going on once and never coming back.. Or sending the acne away for 5+years and then possibly a 2nd course, and some even.. a third course. I've never heard of someone going on a fourth course though. I highly, highly doubt that you will even need to think about going on a 4th course. I just don't think anyone would need to.

Actually you're lucky you didn't have it in your teen years.. Because that's when it seems to matter the most! Great, I would really love to hear how yours goes. I'm sure you're going to be real succesful this time.

Thank you, thank you for the compliments, you're real nice.. Goodluck to you too.

Hi!

I understand how you feel.. My first course of accutane is about to end, and I am already feeling a little anxious about how it will turn out..

Today I had a small red bump on my cheek, not sure if it is acne or just some skin irritation..

Acne sux..

Wish u all the best :)

Hi!

I understand how you feel.. My first course of accutane is about to end, and I am already feeling a little anxious about how it will turn out..

Today I had a small red bump on my cheek, not sure if it is acne or just some skin irritation..

Acne sux..

Wish u all the best :)

Hello,

I remember that day, the day that my doctor said "Okay! You look great! You're finished with your course!".. My skin looked amazing by the time I finished my course.. I felt so pretty with my new skin! But of course, being me.. I got real scared to go off of Accutane because I thought that if I went off then my acne would FOR SURE come back! I was overreacting though, I just became so dependent on the drug mentally.. But I mean Hello... Accutane = Clear skin! So of course I was sketchy about stopping the drug, convinced that the oiliness and acne would come back. Luckily I went 6 months without any acne (minus the minor pimple every now and then)..

Well you know the rest of my 'sob story' of my acne possibly coming back if you read my first post. I hope that doesn't discourage you, I'm one of those few unlucky people that had the acne come back, well that's what I'm assuming. I'm sure you will have clear skin from this day forth.

Thank you for the support! I wish you the best as well with post-tane.

Hey guys,

Well my derm appointment is in 4 days! I've been thinking a lot about it lately.. I'm hoping and praying that my derm will put me back on the Accutane. Still, I'm worried he wont because my acne might not be severe enough. If he doesn't, boy I'll be so upset.. Not to mention a little peeved, I've seen a few people on here who have less acne than I do and get prescribed Accutane. I suppose it really depends on who your derm is though.

My acne seems to be healing in some places, which is good, and bad. I don't want it all better by the time I see my derm because I want him to see how bad it is. Ha, if only I could have shown him about a week ago.. It looked real bad.

Well I'll let you all know how it goes when Wednesday comes around. Fingers crossed!

your acne looks like mine did. taking zinc and avoiding dairy products keeps me clear, but im sure youve tried this and all the other nonsense considering youve done accutane before. id try taking anything before poisoning myself with accutane

your acne looks like mine did. taking zinc and avoiding dairy products keeps me clear, but im sure youve tried this and all the other nonsense considering youve done accutane before. id try taking anything before poisoning myself with accutane

Hey Stanwick,

Actually yes! I have considered maybe it might be something I was eating/drinking.. During and after Accutane I avoided milk, cheeses, and ice creams (with the exception of some yogurts from time to time).. As far as dairy goes, and also started eating less acidic fruits and more alkaline ones, and avoided junk food.. etc. Basically I transformed my whole diet, it has helped my skin immensely. So I know how a diet change can help.. As far as supplements.. Such as zinc.. That's never been my thing.. I've never considered trying those, I feel like I would be wasting my time and money. But of course, how would I know unless I've tried it, right? Still, I know that I would never turn to supplements.. I really do appreciate your advice though.

Yikes, poisoning, you make it sound so bad!

My acne was about as severe as yours about 4 months ago. Almost identical.. I went on the DKR and got completely cleared up. It took a little while for it to work, almost 3 months, but is DEFINITELY worth it. I haven't had a breakout in weeks. From what I see, your face doesn't look too bad, I would think that the regimen would do the trick.

hey, GL on your second course.

i just started my first and LOVE the results. started on the 16th and a little under a week in i started to get pimples in places i normally didn't on my face and they hurt (never happened to me really so that really sucked) but now everything is super clear except for a few still healing from the IB. plus my skin feels really smooth now which is nice.

after trying it just for this little bit i think if my acne ever came back after this course i would definitely go for a second course. imo i would much rather take dry lips over changing my diet, using tons of topical, or taking a bunch of antibiotics.

hi!

From your pictures I'm sure that accutane will clear your face up nice and quickly this time around and things will be looking great! Good luck getting started and I'll make sure to check in and see how everything goes!

My acne was about as severe as yours about 4 months ago. Almost identical.. I went on the DKR and got completely cleared up. It took a little while for it to work, almost 3 months, but is DEFINITELY worth it. I haven't had a breakout in weeks. From what I see, your face doesn't look too bad, I would think that the regimen would do the trick.

Hey Kyle,

I think it's really neat that you would take your time to try a regimen like that. I know my acne is not at all that bad at the moment, but it is so persistent :( I doubt that if my little regimen that I've been doing now, isn't working, then I highly doubt that any other one would. (yes I have this little regimen I was using after Accutane in order to keep my skin clear). I just don't think I'd have the time or patience to want to try something like that right now.. School is starting up in less than three weeks and I would love to go back having my clear skin again! I also just keep thinking in my head that if I do one more round of Accutane with my skin about 70% already clear, that it will definately clear me up for life, I hope..

Great job on clearing your skin, though!

hey, GL on your second course.

i just started my first and LOVE the results. started on the 16th and a little under a week in i started to get pimples in places i normally didn't on my face and they hurt (never happened to me really so that really sucked) but now everything is super clear except for a few still healing from the IB. plus my skin feels really smooth now which is nice.

after trying it just for this little bit i think if my acne ever came back after this course i would definitely go for a second course. imo i would much rather take dry lips over changing my diet, using tons of topical, or taking a bunch of antibiotics.

Hey Rich,

That sounds great! It's so good to hear that you're already seeing results, that's always a good sign. I actually know exactly what you're talking about, when I was on Accutane, in the first few weeks.. I started to get pimples popping up in really odd places (i.e. arms, back, collar bone) I never really got acne there, so it was odd. I hope the rest of your course goes as smoothly as it already is, I'm sure it will.

Yeah, that's the thing, I think that people who are in my position must feel the same. I mean why go from the Holy Grail of acne treatments (Accutane), and then stoop down and try something much less than that.. It just makes sense to me to go back to Accutane, since we know it worked before so well. Well the thing is, I have actually changed my diet a lot since Accutane, I feel like that has helped keep me clear while I was off of it.. And yeah, antibiotics.. not for me, no thank you.. I hear way too much about how antibiotics work for a little bit and then once you go off, they come back, or you build a resistance to them. I don't want that happening!

Well, thank you for replying, I always appreciate them. So much. And good luck on your course :) You will not regret it.