Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just had my latest checkup at the dermo and she was really shoscked that I'm STILL not clear (she even said she felt like crying for me) and showed up with 3 new whopping cysts on my chin (Hormonal acne sufferer here) despite being on spironolactone for 6 months now and upping my does to the highest level that me and my Dr's are comfortable with.

She gave me some new topical stuff, Aczone which is supposed to help with the inflamed kind of acne that I have. And then she happened to casually mention as an afterthought on her way out the door, "Oh and make sure you are eating mostly organic, milk and meat."

I was suprised as I have been seeing numerous dermos within this same practice for the past 25 years! I am almost 40 and the chin acne is still as bad as it was when I was a teenager, if not worse. And never in all that time has any one of them ever mentioned diet changes. They always just write out prescriptions for everything under the sun and nothing has worked. the spiro has helped but it's just not enough to keep me clear.

Anyway, I just came back from the grocery with a stock of organic milk, cereal, juice, meat, and bread.

I hope and pray this is the magic bullet I have been waiting for all of these many years. We shall see.

Can anyone tell me how long it should take for me to see results of changing to the organic diet?

Well even organic milk can cause problems. Cereal is really grainy, and who knows, maybe gluten or carbs in general don't sit well with your metabolism...same goes with bread. Juice can be really sugary and missing valuable fiber. Organic meat is always good.

I'm not sure how long for you to see results. Any results in general, good or bad, will probably take at least two weeks. I read somewhere (I can't remember who or where, but online I remember that it can take months before changing diet can affect acne).

One experience of mine is quitting milk cold turkey late may of 2007. By September (about 4 months later) I still kept the same diet I had, but my face dramatically got better. That isn't to say the lack of milk helped, but something obviously did...could be hormones though as I was just 18 that year.

Most importantly, you should definitely invest in organic fruits and vegetables. I'm not too fond of cereal, milk, or bread by the way, so you could say there is some biasness involved.

I will probably get flamed, haha, but you could try a little supplement called DIM.

It's doubtful just switching to organic will do much.

What you want is a blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. Organic where you can afford it, especially in the foods that end up with the most pesticides, but that's mostly about long term health.

And you should try avoiding dairy completely for a period to see if it makes a difference. Dairy is a common allergen. In addition, many people can't digest it. Being organic doesn't help with that. And even if you don't have an intolerance to it, you should limit it as it contains IGF-1, a factor in acne which is also stimulated by elevated blood sugar.

You could also avoid hormone disruptors in food additives, perfumes, cleaning products, etc by not eating processed foods and using such chemicals.

What you want is a blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. Organic where you can afford it, especially in the foods that end up with the most pesticides, but that's mostly about long term health.

And you should try avoiding dairy completely for a period to see if it makes a difference. Dairy is a common allergen. In addition, many people can't digest it. Being organic doesn't help with that. And even if you don't have an intolerance to it, you should limit it as it contains IGF-1, a factor in acne which is also stimulated by elevated blood sugar.

You could also avoid hormone disruptors in food additives, perfumes, cleaning products, etc by not eating processed foods and using such chemicals.

Your diet has to consist of a ton of fruits and veggies. Make the commitment. Throw dairy products out of the door.

I should have mentioned the reason my dermo said to switch to organic milk is b/c they inject it with growth hormones - and my acne is hormonal, so makes sense.

I wouldn't mess w/ my blood sugar at all b/c my levels are perfect as is. I also suffer from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) so I have to be careful of what I ingest, e.g. can't take a lot of vitamins or eat a lot of fruit and veggie ruffiage or it will progress into ulcerative colitis.

I could never give up dairy completely - I'd just keep living w/ the acne before I did that.

Your diet has to consist of a ton of fruits and veggies. Make the commitment. Throw dairy products out of the door.

As mentioned above - a ton of fruits and veggies is NOT an option for me as I suffer from IBS.

If I did that I would be adding intestinal ulcers, severe diahhrea, and hemmorids to the list of my ailments.

You have IBS and yet you still consume dairy? seriously?

organic milk still affects your hormones and is insulinogenic. and even if it's organic, it's still pasteurized which makes it a processed food. you also have deal with the casein in your digestive system (are you sure you have IBS?). it's also an inflammatory food and is acid forming in the body.

I have a good friend who has a pretty bad case of IBS and he juices his veggies and fruits. There's no reason why you can't do the same.

You have IBS and yet you still consume dairy? seriously?

organic milk still affects your hormones and is insulinogenic. and even if it's organic, it's still pasteurized which makes it a processed food. you also have deal with the casein in your digestive system (are you sure you have IBS?). it's also an inflammatory food and is acid forming in the body.

I have a good friend who has a pretty bad case of IBS and he juices his veggies and fruits. There's no reason why you can't do the same.

Yes I'm sure I have IBS - have had 3 colonoscopies, small bowel pill endoscopy (swallowed a camera and crapped it out) to prove it.

My GI Dr. never told me to stop dairy - I'm not lactose intolerant and consuming it in the moderate amounts I do, does not cause any intestinal flare ups.

There are different types of IBS - perhaps your friend has a different kind.

My brother for example has the kind where he gets wicked stomach cramps and gets constipated and can't go to the bathroom for days. For him, a lot of fiber and ruffiage is good.

I have the complete opposite problem - I go within minutes of eating certain types of foods, and will have diahhrea up to 7 times a day followed by brutal hemmoroids that take weeks to get rid of.... I've been dealing with IBS for a long time and I know what the triggers are for me. Too much fruits and veggies are a big trigger for me personally.

If i stick to very basic bland foods however, I don't have flare ups, everything stays pretty regular., no diahhrea, very managable.

But I didn't post this topic to discuss my IBS (that is under control) I posted to discuss my acne (out of control).

Well, if I were you I'd worry about your IBS. Many people have gotten clear after dealing with it. Have you tried avoiding gluten? Gluten damages intestinal linings.

Whether or not your fasting blood sugar is 'perfect' at this point in time, what I was talking about was avoiding any habits that spike blood sugar to levels our bodies weren't meant to deal with as the typical diet does. Which eventually leads to problems, but in the meantime, it means you have periods with excess insulin production which stimulates hormone production. The hormones that cause acne. My blood sugar was just fine too, yet cutting back on sodas, sugars, and eating moderately low GL meals cleared my severe acne in less than 2 months.

And all our acne is hormonal. Except in the case of pores clogged by something topical, there is always hormones involved.

But I didn't post this topic to discuss my IBS (that is under control) I posted to discuss my acne (out of control).

They're probably related, though. Skin health and intestinal health go hand in hand.

I know where you're coming from because I have IBS too, and I also have to avoid a lot of fruits and vegetables. I can keep it "under control" by eating mostly bland, starchy foods like oats, potatoes, white rice, etc. But the thing is, it's a vicious cycle... IBS is often caused by gut dysbiosis (imbalance of good/bad bacteria), and the starchy foods feed the bad bacteria, so they are actually perpetuating the problem. You may have your symptoms under control, but you almost certainly still have intestinal dysbiosis, and that alone could be causing your acne.

Diets like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and GAPS Diet (which eliminate starch, sugar, etc.) often cure IBS by starving the bad bacteria. People may start out on these with a very limited number of foods they can eat, but as the bad bacteria is diminished and the gut heals, they often can tolerate much more fiber and more foods... healthy foods like fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, etc.

I just started a diet like this, so I can't say if it's going to cure my IBS or not, but I'm feeling pretty good on it so far.

It might be something for you consider, if you don't want to spend the rest of your life having to avoid a lot of foods that are so healthy.

Well, if I were you I'd worry about your IBS. Many people have gotten clear after dealing with it. Have you tried avoiding gluten? Gluten damages intestinal linings.

Whether or not your fasting blood sugar is 'perfect' at this point in time, what I was talking about was avoiding any habits that spike blood sugar to levels our bodies weren't meant to deal with as the typical diet does. Which eventually leads to problems, but in the meantime, it means you have periods with excess insulin production which stimulates hormone production. The hormones that cause acne. My blood sugar was just fine too, yet cutting back on sodas, sugars, and eating moderately low GL meals cleared my severe acne in less than 2 months.

And all our acne is hormonal. Except in the case of pores clogged by something topical, there is always hormones involved.

Again, not worried about my IBS. My Doctor is not worried about it either. It's completely under control. Not gonna repeat what I already stated.

Will add that I already do eat a moderately low GL index diet. I started the South Beach Diet about 6 years ago, which is based all around the glycemix index. I have maintained a Phase 3 lifestyle ever since. Having cut out nearly all refined surgars, bad starches, eat whole wheat, whole grains, etc.

Doing so made me lose some weight and changed my metabolism, but it hasn't done anything for my Acne or my IBS.

I've also been tested for Celiacs (wheat intolerance) and Gluten intolerance - I don't have either.

Again, I don't AVOID foods that are good for me, I simply cannot consume them in high quantities as was recommended here. Everything in moderation works for me. But nothing has helped the acne.

Been on organic milk the past two days. No new cysts so far, old ones are fading. That is encouraging.

Again, not worried about my IBS. My Doctor is not worried about it either. It's completely under control. Not gonna repeat what I already stated.

Will add that I already do eat a moderately low GL index diet. I started the South Beach Diet about 6 years ago, which is based all around the glycemix index. I have maintained a Phase 3 lifestyle ever since. Having cut out nearly all refined surgars, bad starches, eat whole wheat, whole grains, etc.

Doing so made me lose some weight and changed my metabolism, but it hasn't done anything for my Acne or my IBS.

I've also been tested for Celiacs (wheat intolerance) and Gluten intolerance - I don't have either.

Again, I don't AVOID foods that are good for me, I simply cannot consume them in high quantities as was recommended here. Everything in moderation works for me. But nothing has helped the acne.

Been on organic milk the past two days. No new cysts so far, old ones are fading. That is encouraging.

All starches feed bad bacteria, so that includes whole grains. I believe you still have acne because you still have intestinal dysbiosis. There could be other factors, of course.

I've been on this board for years and have never heard of anyone clearing up solely by switching to organic food. But good luck (not being sarcastic).