Notifications
Clear all

Gluten Connected To Acne?

MemberMember
(@firstlast)

Posted : 07/22/2009 11:52 am

Not sure if info like this has been posted before.

My wife recently stumbled upon an article here. Basically, it connects gluten to acne. And since gluten is in so many of the things we eat, it would be quite hard to get rid of our acne if it is gluten that affects our outbreaks. After seeing this article, I have been cutting out the gluten in my diet (which has been extremely difficult for me because I loved so many things that contained gluten) and I have been noticing clearer/better skin.

My point is though, let's try cure our acne from the inside. Start from the core rather than the outside. I understand that it can be difficult because I have been fighting acne for the past 12/13 years. But the products sold on this site contain many chemicals that are extremely harmful in the long run. Not just from the sun (AHA and benzoil peroxide) but from themselves.

Take propylene glycol, for example, which is in the products. I don't know too much about it but I've heard it is really bad for us. And accutane? I don't even need to say anything about that. Instead of treating our bodies, our skin with chemicals, let's treat them with love/respect/goodness and I can promise that your acne will be cured.

The products on this site may help "cure" your acne but it is through the whole western medicine philosophy, "treat the symptoms, not the root of the problem".

There may be many other things that help make acne worse. I don't know what they are and so I'm not going to state them without any backing. But eating better and living a more healthy lifestyle (no fast food, no junk food, drink raw milk, eat GRASS fed beef, don't eat corn, M&M, potato chip fed beef, etc.) has helped a lot. My wife is starting a blog soon on nutrition, health, and parenting. If any of you would like the link, let me know and I'll post it here as soon as it is up. She isn't a traditionally "educated" nutritionist, but one that learns out of pure interest, for her kids and her family. There are many things she's read that have just shocked me. Hopefully, you guys are interested to learn as well.

So if you guys still "need" to use the products (I still use them occasionally), I fully understand but I just wanted to let you know what I've heard. But if you could eventually get off these products, I promise that you will live a much healthier life.

In the end, it is up to us to look for information. It is hard and time consuming, but my wife does it because she wants our children to grow up healthy. Read her blog if you don't have the time, but don't believe everything in it. I sure don't believe everything she says until she really backs it up. But trust me, we've had arguments because I didn't believe her. But if you really care about your skin, research, research, research.

MemberMember
(@supacon)

Posted : 07/22/2009 1:53 pm

Hi Kliphten:

I was thinking along the same lines you are, and on a few occasions I have cut out gluten-containing products for my diet, and it never seemed to completely get rid of my acne. It did usually help a little, for a bit.

What did seem to work was when I stumbled upon freeacnebook.com and followed the recommendations there, my acne completely cleared up. I now suspect that it was meat, and probably also dairy that have the biggest effect on my skin, nutritionally. It will take me a few months probably to thoroughly investigate this and make a more complete determination as to whether that will work for me, but for now I am not eating meat and dairy and my acne is about 90% better.

The thing that makes the nurtition+acne link so bloody difficult to conclusively determine is that everyone's body is different, and different foods can have a dramatically different effect on different people.

It seems that some people have a problem with corn, others dairy, others gluten, and some, like me, meat. For others a low glycemic index diet seems to really help - it makes a fairly small diference for me.

I think in the end, it just takes experimentation to get it figured out - but for sure, a good two week cleanse consuming primarily fruit and vegetables will do everyone a little good, and from there, other foods can be added in to see what effect they have.

I'm very interested in seeing what kind of results you get with a gluten-free diet - I have a good friend with Celiac's disease, so that's what got me thinking about that one initially. Best of luck to you and I hope you are able to make some discoveries about nutrition and acne and wellness that can help many people!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/22/2009 2:51 pm

If you are gluten intolerant, then yes.

Avoiding it even if you are not intolerant will help too since it means you avoid crap processed foods hopefully in favor of real, nutrient dense foods.

MemberMember
(@firstlast)

Posted : 07/22/2009 3:35 pm

I agree, peoples' bodies are different and different diets affect different people differently. But the thing is, so many people eat processed food. And I feel that in U.S., people OVEREAT that junk. I think that is what is at the core of many of our problems.

The way I think about things is to always think how we would have done something when we were just primitive people. For example, brushing teeth. I don't think primitive man brushed his teeth morning and night, after meals. You may say, what's this got to do with anything? Well, I recently read a book by Weston Price. He did a lot of research on indigenous people and their teeth. He first looked at how their teeth were before eating processed food. Once those indigenous people were taken over by white man and given white man food (which is highly processed food) their teeth started getting worse and worse.

This shocked me, because I always thought I was eating pretty healthy. I never questioned it and I never questioned why I brushed my teeth, but now I look back on it, it seems strange. Why don't animals brush their teeth? Yes, you could say that since we do, it is linked to a longer life span. First, I don't want to live forever. Second, I think eating naturally, organically, healthily will still lead to a healthy lifestyle because we are still empowered with the knowledge of eating food that has not gone bad or rotten.

One other thing, we over consume. So it may seem expensive to buy organic, natural, food. But if we don't lead gluttonous lives, then it is actually cheaper. We don't need to eat whole steaks. We don't need 10x10s from In & Out. But if you choose to live that way, then you must deal with the consequences. I don't want to sound confrontational, but it is really up to us to change things.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/22/2009 3:53 pm

I agree, peoples' bodies are different and different diets affect different people differently. But the thing is, so many people eat processed food. And I feel that in U.S., people OVEREAT that junk. I think that is what is at the core of many of our problems.

The way I think about things is to always think how we would have done something when we were just primitive people. For example, brushing teeth. I don't think primitive man brushed his teeth morning and night, after meals. You may say, what's this got to do with anything? Well, I recently read a book by Weston Price. He did a lot of research on indigenous people and their teeth. He first looked at how their teeth were before eating processed food. Once those indigenous people were taken over by white man and given white man food (which is highly processed food) their teeth started getting worse and worse.

We now live longer and will therefore want our teeth longer.

But it is quite obvious that physically active people eating nutrient dense diets will be healthier and better formed. I think the issue is few westerners, Americans in particular, grasp just how bad our glutonous, sugary processed, factory farmed food diets are.

MemberMember
(@firstlast)

Posted : 07/22/2009 4:27 pm

We now live longer and will therefore want our teeth longer.

But it is quite obvious that physically active people eating nutrient dense diets will be healthier and better formed. I think the issue is few westerners, Americans in particular, grasp just how bad our glutonous, sugary processed, factory farmed food diets are.

Yes, we live longer and will therefore want our teeth longer. That's for sure, but I don't think we need to brush, in order to keep our teeth, if we do eat nutrient dense foods without eating the bad stuff.

Our daughter recently got a cavity (we ate pretty bad during the first few months of her life, processed foods, frozen foods) and we've been giving her cod fish liver oil and butter oil and amazingly, it has been getting better. Not by brushing, but by giving her this stuff.

MemberMember
(@supacon)

Posted : 07/22/2009 8:10 pm

Somehow I've managed to get through 28 years without any cavities, (not in my adult teeth anyways), and I have a fairly lax oral hygene regiment... I brush and floss once per day. I wasn't using fluoride for years, and I'm still on the fence about fluoride... I don't think it's good to put fluoride in one's body.

Anyways, I'll be the first to agree that by avoiding gluten, one can drastically improve the quality of their diet, because much of the processed junk food we eat is glutenous. Although there's plenty of junk food options out there as well that don't contain gluten. And on the other hand, I wouldn't go as far as to say that all grains are inherently unhealthy or something like that, but I think that our society probably does consume them way too much, and that they tend to be overprocessed to remove much of the nutrition from them.

I don't, on the other hand think that gluten = acne or anything, although I can imagine that for some people with mild forms of celiac disease, it could be an issue.

MemberMember
(@chodeking)

Posted : 03/10/2016 4:31 pm

In regards to the conversation regarding Gluten/Wheat intake here is my opinion.

Being a professional baker by trade, I'm oft exposed to wheat and it's products. For years I suffered with extremely oily skin, with severe GERD.
Most of my research related eating wheat products with these conditions and associate the two ailments of the same cause. Here's where it gets tricky. GLUTEN DOES NOT CAUSE ACNE. Never has and never will. Paleolithic diets contain a large variety of grains that consistent of the proteins responsible for making Gluten. Celiac is an exception to this statement as gluten does attack the immune system and is potentially life threatening to the suffer.

High Glycemic diets, do cause increased oil production and stress on the digestive system. The reason most people associate bread/wheat with acne is because the majority of bakeries use highly processed, high extraction flours which spike one's blood sugar dramatically. To make the situation worse mechanization requires firmer dough, resulting in flour being under hydrated and essentially raw once baked. THIS IS WHERE the problem lies.

I've done case studies with various friends, family member's and colleagues regarding this matter. The consensus is that high hydration breads(ciabatta, fougasse) and slow risen doughs (traditional sourdoughs where the flour is broken down by bacteria) did not contribute to acne breakouts. While generic white breads, pastas. and other borderline raw wheat products DID cause spots within 24-30 hours. The worst culprit we found however was sweetened yeast products as they're often under baked to prevent burning., and well sugar..

Anyways that's just my two cents and not scientific in any way. I also suffer from acne breakouts and have for many years, but have not noticed any difference in my complexion as a result of eating Sourdough bread products. If any of you have a chance google 'Sourdough Bread' and read up on the benefits of eating this product, it's quite remarkable!