Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ugly_skye

Accutane was my last resort and it didn't work...

I feel so depressed today, I'm completly out of hope and I don't think I'm strong enough to live with acne for the rest of my life.

I have literally tried everything to treat my acne and finally decided Accutane was the last step, I started Accutane 5 months ago and today I've decided to quit. I was waiting in my derm's office, she was running really late and I was going to get a new script but instead I just decided to walk out.

This drug has ruined my life, my face is literally covered in scars and not the type that I would get before, it has left large linear lines from the smallest pimple. It has given the appearance of a rippled effect. I've never scarred like I did while I was on Accutane.

Not only has the scaring been unbearable but I've sustained a knee injury which has not healed in four months. I'm scared it's going to be permanent.

I really wanted to see this drug through to the end of the course but I've had hardly any improvement and the side effects have been terrible.

For those of you that didn't have success with Accutane, what did you do next?

Sigh :(

Oh, I really feel for you, my friend :( Yeah, I believe Accutane might not work effectively on some people, which might because their acne problem does not derive from a hyperactive sebaceous gland. In some other cases, it works after they are done with their course, which I hope is yours :)

Anyway, be stronger, we are always with you :)

I feel so depressed today, I'm completly out of hope and I don't think I'm strong enough to live with acne for the rest of my life.

I have literally tried everything to treat my acne and finally decided Accutane was the last step, I started Accutane 5 months ago and today I've decided to quit. I was waiting in my derm's office, she was running really late and I was going to get a new script but instead I just decided to walk out.

This drug has ruined my life, my face is literally covered in scars and not the type that I would get before, it has left large linear lines from the smallest pimple. It has given the appearance of a rippled effect. I've never scarred like I did while I was on Accutane.

Not only has the scaring been unbearable but I've sustained a knee injury which has not healed in four months. I'm scared it's going to be permanent.

I really wanted to see this drug through to the end of the course but I've had hardly any improvement and the side effects have been terrible.

Hey there,

I did a course of Accutane about 6 years ago, it cleared me up for a couple of years but later the acne came back stronger than ever. I am pleased to tell you that I am completely clear now through a change in my lifestyle, thinking and diet.

I actually just started a new thread today with my 'tips' to clear skin, you can check it out here if you like: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/FORMULA-C...or-t242792.html

Hopefully something there might help you.

Anyway, having been in your situation and gotten out, please believe me when I say you have to keep your hopes and head up... You WILL find a way to have clean and clear skin. First you have to get yourself out of the feeling of despair and reach for the next feeling that will give you some relief.

One way to start feeling better is to focus on all the things that you are grateful for, I mean if you're posting on a forum then you must have eyesight and a properly functioning brain and body right? Remember there are many people out in the world that don't have one of these things or both.

K

Thanks Kago26 though I am not the original poster.

When I say "Thank you", I mean that I'm thankful for your reply to our friend and your formula for an acne-free skin. You seem to have quite a very good attitude to life which aims at self-motivation and calmness. I like it :)

I went through this too.

Living with acne has got easier for me, I don't even think about it much anymore. I hope the same happens for you. Maybe one day we will be clear.

p.s. is that you in your avatar? if it is, you are really beautiful. :)

Thanks Kago26 though I am not the original poster.

When I say "Thank you", I mean that I'm thankful for your reply to our friend and your formula for an acne-free skin. You seem to have quite a very good attitude to life which aims at self-motivation and calmness. I like it :)

Hi CheekyTrickyChic,

You are very welcome =)

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread.

You are very correct when you say that I would like to promote self-motivation and calmness (or at least the reduction of worry), I believe they are two qualities that will help improve all aspects of life. I'm happy you agree with this.

K

Hi kago26,

I read somewhere this, "Motivation is just within your self" (and as a matter of fact, it's impossible to motivate a person who lacks motivation within him/her self). I'm a strong believer of the above theory and that's why I have always tried to be a self-motivated person. Luckily, I have a brain that's quite cooperative sometimes :)

Calmness is even more important in the sense it helps to release stress, which does harm to human body's hormone condition. This is the guarantee to an acne-free skin actually. I find it hard to achieve calmness though I am a Yoga practitioner. (I practise Yoga on daily basis). Maybe because I'm still young, my emotion still moves up and down with the speed of a roller-coaster :)

Thanks for your contribution of another perspective/ solution for acne problem. It looks simple but from my point of view, it's the toughest as acne suffers will have to overcome themselves to achieve it.

Hi kago26,

I read somewhere this, "Motivation is just within your self" (and as a matter of fact, it's impossible to motivate a person who lacks motivation within him/her self). I'm a strong believer of the above theory and that's why I have always tried to be a self-motivated person. Luckily, I have a brain that's quite cooperative sometimes :)

Calmness is even more important in the sense it helps to release stress, which does harm to human body's hormone condition. This is the guarantee to an acne-free skin actually. I find it hard to achieve calmness though I am a Yoga practitioner. (I practise Yoga on daily basis). Maybe because I'm still young, my emotion still moves up and down with the speed of a roller-coaster :)

Thanks for your contribution of another perspective/ solution for acne problem. It looks simple but from my point of view, it's the toughest as acne suffers will have to overcome themselves to achieve it.

Heya,

That's right you can't motivate someone for very long, they have to motivate themselves (or even better, inspire themselves) but hopefully I can help someone inspire themselves =)

I would also agree that stress is a major cause of acne (which is why good sleeping habits are so important to me).

What type of yoga do you practice? I actually just learnt from a DVD called PM Yoga which is specifically for use before going to bed.... and it makes me very sleepy every time =)

What you said about my regimen to getting clear is correct, but it depends on your definition of 'tough'. Compared to just taking pills every day, I would say it requires more effort than that so you could define it as 'tough'. But I don't believe any drugs or 'quick fix' formulas are going to provide most people with the results they want.

I believe acne is an indicator of your thought patterns, lifestyle, diet and overall general health.

If you make an effort to improve these areas of your life, acne will disappear and you will have clean, fresh skin as a new indicator telling you that the way you are thinking, living and eating are all good.

Anyway, are you currently suffering from acne now? Or are you here just to help people? =)

K

Accutane failed for me twice, and I just kept trucking forwards. I've gone through every kind of treatment you can think of, and finally found one that worked (light therapy for me). Don't give up...you just have to keep trying anything and everything until you find something that works.

Accutane failed me the first time aswell, it definately helped my skin but when i finished my course I was still getting acne, after month of stopping my acne was beginning to come back full on so i quickly started a second course.

The second course cleared me completely this time (clear of actives anyway, scars and redness are a different story) but again I stopped and acne came back.

Now Im on my 3rd course and trying to find a balance for an effective low dose, as in trying to keep as low as dose as possible but still stay clear of actives. Im doing this to try and give my redness and scarring a chance to heal.

Anyways I think you should keep at it, it takes longer for some people (me for example) but accutane does eventually work. I also lost hope at the end of the first course but I also hated my derm for taking me off it so quick. Anyways keep at it and it will eventually do its job.

I understand how you feel. I went through three courses of Accutane and it stopped working. I switched to birth control + spironolactone three months ago and I've seen great improvement. If you're still looking for the next step, I would recommend reading about this method.

I don't believe staying on Accutane will do you ANY good. Don't do any more damage to your body when healthier alternatives are out there. Best of luck :nod:

Hey too bad to hear that :( well,the fact that accutane left u marks is quite easy to understand...accutane makes skin really fragile and if u injure it(like ur knee injury)or scrath it(lets say...the pimples that fade)u remain with marks.well,i hope that all i will get after accutane is no more acne and marks,coz u know,marks can be treated.I have just started with accutane but i hope it will clear my face.i know how u feel,coz accutane is for me also my last hope...ive tryed everything ... antibiotics,topic treatments nothing worked.i didnt tryed though the birth control pills,but all my friends that tryed it dont get acne that bad,but are gaining lots of weight really fast.i want to enjoy icecream and not carying that the estrogens from the pills will help my body to store every single calorie...anyway,i hope tane will help me.if i find out about smth else that helped my acne and my acne marks(have lots of them)ill tell u.best wishes *hugs*

it is very unfortunate to hear that accutane has failed for you. don't feel too bad though. there's plenty of more options out there. don't worry about your knee, accutane does slow healing. as for your scars.. well.. your definitely not a lone. accutane scars most of us.

anyways, before i started my accutane course i had 2 options. either accutane or PDT therapy. PDT therapy is when they put some blue stuff on your face and you sit in front of a blue light. its supposedly as effective as accutane without all the problems. although i didn't really believe that. hang in there, you are not alone!

Just give it a couple more years.

hope youre feeling much better since last post love...i know how sometimes life just throws everything at you at once an you just want to give up but to quote peter gabriel "dont give up you have friends".

You will be better an you are loved, already God made you an He doesnt make junk.

Hang in there an please post an let us know how you are doing

Believe me... I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've been on accutane 3 times. I've had acne since I was about14; so about 12 years. I have a lot of scarring and what seems like never-ending red marks. I have scarring on my back, my temples, my forehead, my nose, my cheeks, and my upper lip below my nose; so pretty much EVERYWHERE. My right cheek looks like the surface of the moon, I shit you not. Haha. I still get acne too, and the occasional cyst. I'm spent on ideas so I just try to focus on other things like staying fit and eating healthy.

OH! And I also have a pretty bad case of keratosis pilaris on the backs of my arms. Extremely noticeable when I wear short sleeve shirts. I get people asking me all the time if it's a rash. :\

Edited by Dudemag Fitzgerald