Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yero

US Patent 6979468 - Oral composition and method for the treatment of inflammatory cutaneous disorders

Came across this. Looks interesting As per the other boards topics on niacin. Perhaps a way to combine zinc and niacin?

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6979468/description.html

The present invention provides an improved method and composition for the treatment of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea, bullous pemphigoid and other inflammatory skin conditions. The invention relates to the oral administration of a composition comprising a large dose of nicotinamide delivered at levels very substantially in excess of normal dietary levels, the nicotinamide being delivered in immediate release form in combination with a dose of zinc provided in a sustained release form. This combination of immediate release nicotinamide and sustained release zinc provides a level of anti-inflammatory activity substantially exceeding that provided by combinations of immediate release forms of nicotinamide and zinc. The sustained release form of zinc also permits the unopposed absorption of orally administered tetracycline and its cogeners, which are frequently utilized as a part of the treatment regimens for acne vulgaris, acne rosacea and certain other inflammatory cutaneous disorders. In one preferred embodiment of the invention, a quantity of copper is included to avoid the copper deficiency that might otherwise occur due to the zinc supplementation. The composition may also include a quantity of folic acid, which is an essential nutrient in teenagers and women of child-bearing age.

A composition is prepared in tablet form, each tablet comprising 750 milligrams immediate release nicotinamide, 25 milligrams sustained release zinc oxide, and 500 micrograms immediate release folic acid. When administered orally twice daily, the tablets are found to be a highly effective treatment for acne vulgaris.

This supplement was prescribed to me by my derm a couple of years ago... I didn't notice a big difference so I just stopped buying it (I take other comparable supplements now anyway). Apparently it's very helpful for some people, though. The name of the drug I took was Nicomide.