Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joeyblons

My Accutane Results

Ok people i only find it fair that I have used this sight over the past couple years to obtain information, now it's my duty to share my experience with those of you who could benefit from me.

I'll try and make it as short winded as possible..

I am 39 yrs old, have suffered from acne since the age of 12..not terrible, but i get cystic acne so it isnt just little bumps, a lot of the time I might just have 1 pimple, but it's the real big cyst that looks like a million bucks and makes you want to stay home till it goes away. That's what I could not tolerate anymore, the cysts I would get..people tell me it isnt that bad, but you all know to us it's bad..real bad.

It was getting to the point the last couple years that I kinda withdrew from social events somewhat..missing concerts I wanted to see just cuz I didnt want to look anyone in the eye.

I tried almost everything on the market as far as RX topicals and antibiotics..things seemed to keep it under control somewhat, but not totally...I could go down the list but basically tried almost everything...Differin, Retin A, minocycline, Benzoyl P, Aczone, several others I cant recall.

I did blue light treatments a couple yrs ago with some results..I did 4 treatments @ $250 a treatment and it really didnt do much..still had to stay on antibiotics and topicals.

I came to the conclusion about a year ago to try Accutane again..I did a course back in 1998 and it helped tremendously, I didnt have any health issues from it either..but have been scared off from some of the stuff you read online about it.

I'm to the point that it was worth the risk to try and get my life back, because Acne has pretty much taken it away..tired of waking in the morning wondering if there is a new huge pimple coming in under my skin.

So I finally started my course of 40mg. in April. I have to say I was a bit concerned that I would have some serious side effect cuz of all you read about..you're kinda freaked out that anything that happens to you is because of the accutane.

I initially got some minor headaches and mild back aches the first month but they went away.

My Dr. didnt think I needed to go on it, but he never caught me during a breakout either.

Ok here's the most serious thing I see asked about all the time..the dreaded 2 week initial breakout.

It's true I hate to say..at first like the 1st week you get a bunch of little whiteheads, no biggie, but about 2 and a half weeks in..WOW. Bad breakout..the worse I can recall. I had 7 or 8 big cysts on 1 side of my face..It was so bad I went back in and told my Derm i was going to go off it..I was done. he and the nurse incouraged me to stick with it...I'm telling you guys it was terrible..then they started to clear..then the other side of my face broke out. Another 5 big cysts on the other side of my face!

The first 6 weeks are not good..I wore baseball hats religiously the 1st couple months.

Things really get better in the 2nd month..I was certain they wouldnt, but they did. I have some stubborn acne man, so it's working.

I am now almost done with my 4th month, one more to go...I can say I have been lucky to report no serious side effects..I get my blood drawn every month. My colesterol is a bit high, but stable. My lips are dry too. I still continue to lift weights and my job is strenuous and have had no issues there.

Always carry chapstick, it will be your new best friend!

I have not had a new pimple on my face for at least a month, I don't have to worry about washing my face 2-3x a day either. My face or skin is not overdry, it feels normal now..I was very oily before.

I hope things stay the course..I do fear the acne may come back in a year or so but am prepared to go on it again if that will knock it out completely. I have heard a couple courses a year or two apart may do it.

If any of you have a question feel free..I know it's a huge concern for people, but i really think it's a bit overhyped..there are millions of people that have safely used this drug remember that..pregnancy is the big thing with accutane, it will cause birth defects.

Oh yeah, i have consumed alchohol while using it as well..I know it's a no, no..but i have a few drinks on the weekend with no issues.

The main thing I can say that i could not for the last several years..I have no fear or stress that I will have huge pimples on my face tomorrow. Any of you reading this probably have that feeling right now and i know how terrible it is..this medicine does work, but you have to be willing to take the risk involved..The point I was at is i was so miserable anything was really worth the risk if it works...it works :)

Good luck to you!!

Joe

Ok people i only find it fair that I have used this sight over the past couple years to obtain information, now it's my duty to share my experience with those of you who could benefit from me.

I'll try and make it as short winded as possible..

I am 39 yrs old, have suffered from acne since the age of 12..not terrible, but i get cystic acne so it isnt just little bumps, a lot of the time I might just have 1 pimple, but it's the real big cyst that looks like a million bucks and makes you want to stay home till it goes away. That's what I could not tolerate anymore, the cysts I would get..people tell me it isnt that bad, but you all know to us it's bad..real bad.

It was getting to the point the last couple years that I kinda withdrew from social events somewhat..missing concerts I wanted to see just cuz I didnt want to look anyone in the eye.

I tried almost everything on the market as far as RX topicals and antibiotics..things seemed to keep it under control somewhat, but not totally...I could go down the list but basically tried almost everything...Differin, Retin A, minocycline, Benzoyl P, Aczone, several others I cant recall.

I did blue light treatments a couple yrs ago with some results..I did 4 treatments @ $250 a treatment and it really didnt do much..still had to stay on antibiotics and topicals.

I came to the conclusion about a year ago to try Accutane again..I did a course back in 1998 and it helped tremendously, I didnt have any health issues from it either..but have been scared off from some of the stuff you read online about it.

I'm to the point that it was worth the risk to try and get my life back, because Acne has pretty much taken it away..tired of waking in the morning wondering if there is a new huge pimple coming in under my skin.

So I finally started my course of 40mg. in April. I have to say I was a bit concerned that I would have some serious side effect cuz of all you read about..you're kinda freaked out that anything that happens to you is because of the accutane.

I initially got some minor headaches and mild back aches the first month but they went away.

My Dr. didnt think I needed to go on it, but he never caught me during a breakout either.

Ok here's the most serious thing I see asked about all the time..the dreaded 2 week initial breakout.

It's true I hate to say..at first like the 1st week you get a bunch of little whiteheads, no biggie, but about 2 and a half weeks in..WOW. Bad breakout..the worse I can recall. I had 7 or 8 big cysts on 1 side of my face..It was so bad I went back in and told my Derm i was going to go off it..I was done. he and the nurse incouraged me to stick with it...I'm telling you guys it was terrible..then they started to clear..then the other side of my face broke out. Another 5 big cysts on the other side of my face!

The first 6 weeks are not good..I wore baseball hats religiously the 1st couple months.

Things really get better in the 2nd month..I was certain they wouldnt, but they did. I have some stubborn acne man, so it's working.

I am now almost done with my 4th month, one more to go...I can say I have been lucky to report no serious side effects..I get my blood drawn every month. My colesterol is a bit high, but stable. My lips are dry too. I still continue to lift weights and my job is strenuous and have had no issues there.

Always carry chapstick, it will be your new best friend!

I have not had a new pimple on my face for at least a month, I don't have to worry about washing my face 2-3x a day either. My face or skin is not overdry, it feels normal now..I was very oily before.

I hope things stay the course..I do fear the acne may come back in a year or so but am prepared to go on it again if that will knock it out completely. I have heard a couple courses a year or two apart may do it.

If any of you have a question feel free..I know it's a huge concern for people, but i really think it's a bit overhyped..there are millions of people that have safely used this drug remember that..pregnancy is the big thing with accutane, it will cause birth defects.

Oh yeah, i have consumed alchohol while using it as well..I know it's a no, no..but i have a few drinks on the weekend with no issues.

The main thing I can say that i could not for the last several years..I have no fear or stress that I will have huge pimples on my face tomorrow. Any of you reading this probably have that feeling right now and i know how terrible it is..this medicine does work, but you have to be willing to take the risk involved..The point I was at is i was so miserable anything was really worth the risk if it works...it works :)

Good luck to you!!

Joe

Your post about the second week IB is so timely for me. you are dead on. this stuff is a wild ride. with the exception of this breakout, I have had really bad problems.

Red

Just an updat to my progress. It's now the New Year Jan 2nd 2010. I have had no issues with acne or Accutane and my face is pimple free.

I have done tons or acne research and read up on long term small dosage ot accutane. They used to let doctors prescribe one pill a week for patients with stubborn acne but the FDA has made it so it cannot be prescribed for long periods anymore.

Problem is that is was successful to poeple and not hamrful at a small maintinence dose..my derm said they changed this because of the chance someone might give some to a pregnant woman??

That said I decided to take my 5 mo. course as directed except my last month I have kept and only take 1 -40mg capsule a week. That has given me 30 weeks of a maintinence dosage. I did ask my derm if this would be safe and he said yes.

I'm fearful of not having accutane in my system and breaking out again.

Good luck to all..Happy New Year!!

Joe