Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
onehitwonder89

White marks on teeth

Hi Guys,

Trying to improve my dental hygiene and want to start using a mouth wash, however I am concerned that using a fluoride based mouth wash could cause more white marks on my teeth. I currently have a few which someone told me would have been caused by excessive fluoride in my diet. Do you guys know if this connection is true?

According to the Wiki entry, it's the exposure that happens when you're very young that will affect your teeth.

Dental fluorosis occurs because of the excessive intake of fluoride either through fluoride in the water supply, naturally occurring or added to it; or through other sources. The damage in tooth development occurs between the ages of 3 months to 8 years, from the overexposure to fluoride.

Guest missyjean130

Someone I know has white marks near the edges of their teeth...but that's just because their enamel is being warn down by chugging down soda as if it were water.

I use toothpaste and mouthwash with flouride and my teeth seem just fine.... :think:

Seems like you need to see the dentist bout them white marks =(

I think ACT mouthwash is supposed to help with that :shrug:

ACT is a fluoride rinse that's supposed to strengthen teeth so that they're more resistant to cavities. As far as I know, it's not meant to affect white spots/dental fluorosis.

I think ACT mouthwash is supposed to help with that :shrug:

ACT is a fluoride rinse that's supposed to strengthen teeth so that they're more resistant to cavities. As far as I know, it's not meant to affect white spots/dental fluorosis.

I went to google...dun-da-da-DUUUUN!! :P

http://askdrellie.blogspot.com/2009/07/can...e-they-are.html

....maybe there are different meanings for white spots? idk. I've never had a cavity :shrug: My sister has two white spots on her teeth from when she had braces and they've been there for a while so I doubt those have anything to do with cavities...:shrug:

Go figure, I'd never heard that. I do think that there might be a few reasons for white spots on the teeth, though.

From what I've read about dental fluorosis, it happens when the person is a child (while their adult teeth are forming), and is permanent.

I think that at this point, the OP might want to go to the dentist to find out what's causing the white spots on their teeth. If it's the early stages of cavities, using ACT might help. If it's dental fluorosis, it might not be so easy to fix.