Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keffco

Should I use pure emu oil instead of my moisturizer at night to help my red marks fade?

Hey everyone!

I am just wondering if any of you had experience with emu oil as a night moisturizer to help reduce red marks. If so, does it work and how long would it take to see improvement (I am aware it will not happen overnight).

I ordered 3 bottles of pure 100% Australian emu oil yesterday reading great reviews on acne.org and waiting for it to be delivered. I am currently clear and my skin looks very good except for a few tiny red marks here and there. I am 6 months post tane and did not break out at all since then (yay!). My current regimen, washing with Eucerin gentle gel and applying Vichy Aqualia Thermal moisturizer seems to be working well but those few marks are really stubborn. Not that they are very visible but now, after tane, I want to have a perfect skin...if you know what I mean....

Should I be just patient and stick to my regimen or should I try emu oil? I don't want to break out from it. I know it is non-comedogenic but just the idea of applying oil to your skin kind of scares me.

Thanks a lot, any comments would be appreciated.

Not sure i haven't heard alot about emu oil. but let me know! im curious if it works or not. its just supposed to help red marks fade?

I have heard of using emu oil for redmarks, but I've never tried it. I have a emu hand cream that I recieved as a gift for Christmas, and that helps my hands when they dry out :)

I've read articles that say it is comedogenic, and some that say its not. I guess it depends on the person. I searched the threads on acne.org and found this article:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Emu-oil-c...es-t194752.html

Emu oil is a nice, natural alternative to some stuff your derm could maybe give you for red marks, but I'd attempt to use it with caution...I recently tried Jojoba oil (to remove makeup and to use a moisturizer), and it seemed to work fine. However, I started gettting some break outs (more than usual) so I stopped using it for awhile (haven't used it for 2 weeks). So far so good, except my chin is gettin a nasty breakout (I don't know why...yet...). I'm more sensitive-skinned now since using Differin, so I'm careful of what I use.

So if you decide to use emu oil, be aware that there is a potential that you COULD break out. Who knows, my skin could of been purging because of the jojoba oil (which really isn't a bad thing, but I can't afford any more breakouts). The best way to know if emu oil would work for sure is to ask your Derm. They are the first person you should ask (that is, in my opinion).

Good Luck. :)

Thanks guys for your replies!

X3Kell3X: Well, pure emu oils has been reported to have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and moisturizing properties and many people who tried it noticed that it significantly reduces red marks and scars. It is claimed to be non-comedogenic....but I am a bit scared of applying it to my face, as it is oil....

Raimundo: I read the thread you posted, thanks again for your help. Some people have great results with it and others break out....that only confirms that everyone's skin reacts differently to different substances....Well, I have been on Accutane and now my skin is clear but a bit more sensitive than before so I have to be a little more careful what I use....and since you also have sensitive skin and emu oil broke you out I think I might not use it....I think I will just practice my patience and stick to my regimen that has been working great. I don't want to break out as it will only result in extra red marks....it's not that easy to make choices, is it? all those sacrifices!!! lol :)

I never used emu oil on my face, just on my hands :) (winter makes my hands really dry...). Jojoba oil was what I used and MAY have made me broke out (I was using a redness makeup primer, so that could of made me breakout too). And YES! It's difficult to make choices :(

I don't want to have to sacrifice my skin, but sometimes I must :)

Id say do it, im on a low dose of accutane and normal moisturizers (even dans moisturizer) irritate my skin and make it sting slighly (and red).

Ive been using emu oil (100% pure) as a replacement for about a month and its pretty good, no irritation at all, however I find that every so often it gives me some small spots. I dont know if its because of the emu oil or because of the low low dose of accutane though.