Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nobody.

Confused as to why people skip classes/school.

Ive seen a few posts lingering around about people skipping class/school due to their current state of acne. Im trying to get my head round this fact.

I understand that acne causes people to be self-conscious and all of us have felt at some point the need not to meet people due to this fact. However skipping your education is just rediculous!

Education is the best feature of our modern western civilisations. Less economically developed countries have a poor education system or even a complete lack of one. They would literally kill to be in your position. Education is vastly important especially in the current economic climate.

Even if you think you are still smart so skipping class wont have an effect you are wrong. You may get the grades you require but higher educational institutes will look at your attendance record and ive seen attendance records come back to completely destroy people. If you are fighting for a good university/college, there will be hundreds of people fighting for the same position as you, and will all share similar grades. Whats the deciding factor to seperate the, "men from the boys." Your attendance. Of course to claim this is the only factor they take into account is rediculous, but certain insitutes (for example LSE) take attendance very seriously.

I know acne can work away inside your head and change your perspective of others' viewpoints about yourself; but you need to understand the circumstances.

The people in your class know you have acne, so skipping class wont suddenly make them say, " OMG he/she no longer has acne as he/she is not currently present!" Afterall an extra few spots wont change their viewpoint of you having acne. You still have acne just a little bit more.

At the end of the day acne is an extremely minor problem and is not worth sacrificing your future over.

Learning is a luxury that we take for granted everyday; not to mention its extremely fun. So get out there and immerce yourself in the subjects that you love.

I find it frustrating when people dont realise how amazing their lives are. To sacrifice everything over a stupid skin abnormality is a very unwise decision, so dont make that mistake :naughty:

- MJ

You are right.

Depression and anxiety can cloud your judgment, and influence your decisions. It hurts to look someone in the eye and feel like you're disgusting. People with acne feel unworthy to society, and seclude themselves because of the pressure from the outside to look a certain way.

I'm not saying I do this on a regular basis, but I have before. And no, it's not logical and it's not a good choice. But you have days where you feel so incredibly self conscious that you don't want to be seen by anyone - some days you can deal with it better than others. So you avoid being seen by people, even if it means skipping school when you shouldn't.

I'm not saying I do this on a regular basis, but I have before. And no, it's not logical and it's not a good choice. But you have days where you feel so incredibly self conscious that you don't want to be seen by anyone - some days you can deal with it better than others. So you avoid being seen by people, even if it means skipping school when you shouldn't.

I can relate to this.

I had terrible attendance throughout college because of how low my self-esteem was. I think anyone who skips classes because of their skin knows that it's not a good thing to do, but sometimes it simply gets too much to deal with. On many days I felt myself to be so emotionally and mentally drained that just I couldn't face going in. I was not 'sacrificing everything' over my skin (which, to me, is not merely a 'stupid' problem)... I was simply doing what was best for me in order to cope with the situation. I wasn't happy to be missing classes, but in some situations I think that taking some time out is necessary... provided you don't make it into a frequently occuring habit.

Emotions don't always work in accordance to logic. Education is important yes, but I think looking after your mental health should come above that in terms of priority and I know that had I forced myself to go to college on certain days I would have come home with my self-confidence even more destroyed.

when i used to skip classes because of my acne, it was not so much about me worrying about my classmates looking at my skin and judging me and being self conscious, but more of the fact that when my skin was bad, i just wanted to wash my face, put my cream on, and lay in bed instead of spending an hour putting on makeup to leave my apartment.

i have not skipped class, but i will avoid going out socially because of my skin. this is because the point of going out is to have fun, and a lot of the time i am so stressed and worried about my skin, i just cannot relax and have fun.

i would guess that the same thing happens for at least some people who skip class. it doesn't make any sense to go to class if instead of taking notes and paying attention to the teacher the only things you can think about are "oh my god are people looking at me? i'm sure they're not. i know they're not. but I feel like they are. there are those big bumps on my jaw. i wonder if they have gone down yet. maybe they have. maybe if i touched them to see... no wait, i'm not supposed to touch them!" and then you get home and are exhausted because of the emotional experience.

you might say, "just don't worry, just relax!" but for some people that is literally not an option.

Dude I cut school for 6 bloody months. In those six months I only went to school no more than 8 times. Humans are very emotional creatures, emotions overpower the logical mind the majority of the time. The feeling of embarrassment is very hard to tolerate. Plus in the time I missed school, I spent it reading books and teaching myself. Throughout that time I've learned japanese and how to invest, something I would've never learned in school. So in that sense I was better off not going anyways. I won't need to rely on a job to ensure my future. That and the fact that I'm inheriting 150k in two months. So all in all, I'm great I skipped school all this time. At least I'll know what to do with the money I get now.

well my reason is a mix of two things.

1. I'm depressed alot but there are days that are worse than others and on those days I really just don't want anyone to see me and I don't want to talk to anybody. So I skip.

2. With my depression I find it really hard for me to concentrate and pay attention in class. Sometimes I'll try to pay attention and then other times I just pay my head down and go to sleep. I feel like what's the point in going if im just gonna put my head down and go to sleep anyways? So I skip.

yeah, I remember those days vividly; Only I chose not to skip my college classes. I remember one time a came home during one of my morning college classes and just cried at the mirror. All I saw in the mirror was a monster (atleast my feelings told me that) and just started the process of squeezing them (big postules) to put my mind at ease that i was doing "Something"!! Though, It did me more harm then good, but it was something about letting all the rage on my body and especially, at the source of my hostility. Then, I rushed to the tub and ran a bubble bath; Started the process of submerging my face in soapy-warm water and rubbing my poores intensily with a soapy, rather rough textured wash cloth; In thinking some my acne would disappear. But that only made my skin worse by in drying out and causing all that bacteria to seep deeper and deeper into my poores. Sure, It looked better on the surface with it being all dried out but it just delayed the process of getting better that much more. It's kind of like when we skip school, We think it'll really help but it won't. Because eventually you'll have to go back or you'll fail your courses. Then, Not only will you being to fail but people will notice you being gone and when you finally choose to go back; You'll broadcast yourself that much more. Which, Will draw even more attention towards your face!!

I sometimes need to ask myself "Who sets the standard of true beauty"? Hollywood? I hope not.. We have become so engorged by what this culture thinks about certain issues, that we have lossed our sense of worth/dignity. Why do we care so much about whats on the outside? Has the media alll brainwashed us that much? When will I grow the balls to finally stand up to people and say "Yes I have acne and I would be happy enough to take a picture if you want to keep staring at it"..

I know having acne for the past 5-6 years has convicted me alot of not treating certain people with respect, just because they were noticably differen't. It gave me the thought " you know what, I wasn't/am not any better than those who I think have an issue with me having acne! What power we give those who we think may have an issue with us having acne.

Sometimes I become more angry at myself, because I let the fact I have acne control my life!! Not really that I currently have acne, but I let something so superfical cloud my judgement.

I must admitt it good getting this stuff of your chest. Thank you for Acne.org lolz

i feel much better about skipping if i have a huge monster on my face. i swear all the people i see in college don't have as bad acne as me.

Yeah, I don't get why people would skip school because of acne. It's school for crying out loud. What matters is that you take advantage of it, get into a good college, and then find yourself a well-paying job. What your face looks like should be pushed into the background in favor of bettering your academic future.

It's great that you feel that way. But until anyone feels that way, himself or herself, your points are mute. Self-consciousness, anxiety, fear--if they could be easily rationalized, then acne wouldn't be so painful; we would all be confident mofos. But that's the not case. Most people think the way you do, that school shouldn't be missed and that education is important. Most recognize this on a conscious level. But they don't feel that way. And that's what is critical. People are not rational beings.

Yeah, I don't get why people would skip school because of acne. It's school for crying out loud. What matters is that you take advantage of it, get into a good college, and then find yourself a well-paying job. What your face looks like should be pushed into the background in favor of bettering your academic future.

Does no one think that having acne or acne scars will affect the chances of you getting a good job regardless of your qualifications? I've read about fat people getting discriminated against, so why should we be any different?

Most people say it doesnt really matter, but deep inside I believe it does make a difference. :whistle:

when i used to skip classes because of my acne, it was not so much about me worrying about my classmates looking at my skin and judging me and being self conscious, but more of the fact that when my skin was bad, i just wanted to wash my face, put my cream on, and lay in bed instead of spending an hour putting on makeup to leave my apartment.

Yeah! I'd rather take a "healing day" and hope that my face would get better more quickly.

What you forget to realize OP, is that sometimes when you have some nasty spots on your face, besides the insane embarrassment that you feel... you may physically go to school, but you won't really be focusing in the classroom or participating because of your condition.... I've never missed school because of acne( not because I didn't want to... but couldn't) but I've blown away so many classes by just sitting and thinking, 'Why can't my body stop producing this damn oil'.

i used to do that sometimes though.

it wouldn't be intentionally, but i would just be at school, go to the mirror, and obsess about my skin. any imperfections at all i would freak out...

class lasts like an hour, and i would be in front of the mirror in the restroom for 40 minutes sometimes...it didn't matter to me because it just bothered me way more to not have seemingly perfect skin like 'everyone else' [even though apparently people thought i was crazy because 'i'm pretty' and they didnt see any of the things wrong with me that i did].

I really hated it but I could pretty much do nothing but worry about it in class and then go the mirror and worry about it before i had to return to class and then go to class again worry bout it even more[not even bothering to pay attention to what the teacher was teaching]..

basically for me it was a just a vicious cycle of constant worrying....

but luckily, my skin has cleared up completely. i think it's because i learned to stop picking at any spots i did have, which was just making my skin worse. im just happy that i'm happy [lol] finally.