Notifications
Clear all

Diane35/Cyestra35......CAUTION!

MemberMember
(@jessicauofw)

Posted : 07/21/2009 3:17 am

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is general knowledge or not but I thought I'd post the link anyways.....pretty scary stuff.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advis...2005_39-eng.php

It is from Health Canada so I'm not sure what the regulations are in other countries (or if it's even in other countries). I know that Cyestra35 is the generic of Diane35............and I know it works for acne, but in the long run it can do some extreme damage to the liver and kidneys. I had a friend on this who had a heart attack at 26......so yes, use with caution.

Has anyone had any negative experiences on this stuff?

MemberMember
(@calypsostorm)

Posted : 07/22/2009 10:53 am

I was using Diane for around 7 years with no problems. The only reason I stopped them was because of the big price increase. If the price had not become so costly, I would still be on them.

I always come across sites that are always putting Diane 35 down so when I went to my endo about my PCOS, I had asked him about it and if the risks were really worth avoiding the pills and he said no. Diane 35(called called Dianette in Europe) has been used in the UK since the 1980's and if these pills really did cause severe damage to the liver, there would've been a lot of cases by now. I've even heard of people being on Diane for a lot longer then I've been on them and they have no problems with there liver or any other part for that matter. I could understand this being a concern for men with prostate cancer because of the high dosage they have to take. Each BCP contains 2mg of cyproterone acetate whereas men suffering from prostate cancer have to take 200-300mg of a day!

As for your friend, I'm sorry she had a heart attack but you have to look at it like this. ALL birth control pills increase the risk of heart attack, not just Diane so when you take a new type of pill, this is a possible side effect that you could end up with. Your friend could've had this same thing happen to them from another type of pill so I wouldn't be quick to put down Diane. If I had to caution anyone on BCP's it would be Yasmin but I still wouldn't do that because I know they work great for a lot of women. On the fourth month of those pills, I had a constant crushing headache that was a lot like a migraine every single day and no pain killers would take it away. Not only that but I also felt very weak especially on my left side and I'm almost convinced that if I had stayed on them instead of stopping them, I would've ended up having a stroke. Now, just because I had those side effects from Yasmin it doesn't mean that they won't work great for someone else.

MemberMember
(@jessicauofw)

Posted : 07/24/2009 2:51 am

I was using Diane for around 7 years with no problems. The only reason I stopped them was because of the big price increase. If the price had not become so costly, I would still be on them.

I always come across sites that are always putting Diane 35 down so when I went to my endo about my PCOS, I had asked him about it and if the risks were really worth avoiding the pills and he said no. Diane 35(called called Dianette in Europe) has been used in the UK since the 1980's and if these pills really did cause severe damage to the liver, there would've been a lot of cases by now. I've even heard of people being on Diane for a lot longer then I've been on them and they have no problems with there liver or any other part for that matter. I could understand this being a concern for men with prostate cancer because of the high dosage they have to take. Each BCP contains 2mg of cyproterone acetate whereas men suffering from prostate cancer have to take 200-300mg of a day!

As for your friend, I'm sorry she had a heart attack but you have to look at it like this. ALL birth control pills increase the risk of heart attack, not just Diane so when you take a new type of pill, this is a possible side effect that you could end up with. Your friend could've had this same thing happen to them from another type of pill so I wouldn't be quick to put down Diane. If I had to caution anyone on BCP's it would be Yasmin but I still wouldn't do that because I know they work great for a lot of women. On the fourth month of those pills, I had a constant crushing headache that was a lot like a migraine every single day and no pain killers would take it away. Not only that but I also felt very weak especially on my left side and I'm almost convinced that if I had stayed on them instead of stopping them, I would've ended up having a stroke. Now, just because I had those side effects from Yasmin it doesn't mean that they won't work great for someone else.

I agree everyone reacts differently to different pills but I disagree about your opinion on Diane35. I don't think Health Canada would put out such a caution on that brand of pill if it wasn't a huge risk to take. There is a huge risk with all pills but obviously more so with Diane35 (or else why wouldn't health care agencies advertise like the link above with all BCPs). Not only that but Diane35 has an extremely high dose of hormones in it, higher than any other pill.......which is why they are only tolerated by far and few inbetween.......and why medical professionals discourage long-term use.

http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/diane35.pdf

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/schering/diane35.html

There also currently is a lawsuit against the makers of Diane35 for marketing such a dangerous product and there's talk of discontinuing this product altogether (here in my country, anyways)....I'm sure these "talks" have been going on for quite some time though.

I'm glad you had success with it.......my friend is now on Ortho Cyclen and is reacting well. I'm just glad she recovered from her ordeal.

MemberMember
(@calypsostorm)

Posted : 07/24/2009 10:20 am

I agree everyone reacts differently to different pills but I disagree about your opinion on Diane35. I don't think Health Canada would put out such a caution on that brand of pill if it wasn't a huge risk to take. There is a huge risk with all pills but obviously more so with Diane35 (or else why wouldn't health care agencies advertise like the link above with all BCPs). Not only that but Diane35 has an extremely high dose of hormones in it, higher than any other pill.......which is why they are only tolerated by far and few inbetween.......and why medical professionals discourage long-term use.

http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/diane35.pdf

http://home.intekom.com/pharm/schering/diane35.html

There also currently is a lawsuit against the makers of Diane35 for marketing such a dangerous product and there's talk of discontinuing this product altogether (here in my country, anyways)....I'm sure these "talks" have been going on for quite some time though.

I'm glad you had success with it.......my friend is now on Ortho Cyclen and is reacting well. I'm just glad she recovered from her ordeal.

An extremely high does of hormones?! LOL! .035 of estrogen and 2mg of progestin is nothing compared to the BCP's that were used when my Mom was a teenager and she used them for far longer then the time I've been on Diane and guess what? No problems whatsoever.

These pills are more for women who suffer from things like severe acne due to hormonal imbalances, hirsutism, and PCOS and it's the doctors who prescribe this pill to women who do not suffer from any of these problems who should be punished, not the people who have no problems with this BCP.

As for the lawsuit, I have a feeling what you're talking about. I read about a woman who just got the occasional zit here and there and wanted to take Diane so she never had to deal with a pimple again. She said that she ended up getting a blood clot from them although the public was never informed if she was at more risk for them or if something else may have caused it. Now she, as well as others like you, are trying to remove a product that works so well for people with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome(PCOS) which is something that puts us at risk for so many things like Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, insulin resistance and a variety of other illnesses all because our hormone levels cannot regulate themselves. By regulating those hormones, we reduce our risks of these illnesses but who gives a crap out that? Just as long as those who think Diane is a dangerous drug gets what they want then I guess that's all that matters.

Remember that when those with PCOS end up being greatly reduced of their options when it comes to androgen blockers and their condition suffers because of it but again, as long as you get what you want that's all that matters, right? Try to look at it from that perspective and maybe you'll understand why many women do not want this pill to be taken off of the market.

MemberMember
(@polska-laska)

Posted : 07/24/2009 11:28 am

If health Canada says no, then I say no!!! Canada knows best! =]

MemberMember
(@jessicauofw)

Posted : 07/25/2009 12:16 am

CHEERS TO CANADA! :D

FYI to "CalypsoStorm"...........I'm a little fish in a very big sea and have no intentions of trying to pull Diane35 from the market.............I've never taken it so I wouldn't know the pros/cons of this drug. I was simply posting some information in regards to my friend's experience and warning others of said experience as I wouldn't want anyone else to experience what she went through (I didn't say people would). Diane35 is notorious for many negative side effects........just google it. Scholars and Doctors don't research, journal, and publish negative findings for no reason.

I'm happy that people with PCOS have found this BCP to be very effective in treating their symptoms but don't think I don't live with similair pains/agonies like those with PCOS. I've lived with skin conditions all my life and a few years ago was diagnosed with Vitiligo which was a changed diagnosis to Halo Nevus....and there is NO cure for my illness and NOTHING to suppress my symptoms. I'm glad symptoms of PCOS can be managed with Diane35.........I have nothing to manage mine. So don't make me sound like the person out to destroy the lives of PCOS suffers by pulling Diane35 off the market because those aren't my intentions (and I never stated they were). I know what it feels like to "suffer" so don't assume I'm trying to lobby the gov't to pull of a medication that's helping other "sufferers". I'm so sorry you mistook me for such a bad person but I am really glad you've found something that helps you.

So uh..........CHEERS TO CANADA! :D

MemberMember
(@miss62)

Posted : 08/22/2009 1:57 pm

ok so here is my story

I have been an acne sufferer for almost 12 years since puberty.

Iwas on 2 course of 40mg Accutane for six months and after 1 year the acen came back.

so I decided togo on maintenance dose of 20mg evry 3 weeks and it worked wonder.last December I decided to stop it since everybody were so negative about it and keep telling me it is wrong to be on accutane for 10 year.

anyway I stopped accutane(be aware that I was feeling fine,no side effect) and was put on BCP first month I started with Yaz which was a hell.I had constant stomach pain for entire month then they put me on Alesse which nothing formy acne and finally my Derm told me the only thing it would work foryour acne is DIANE 35.

make the story short...my enitre body was itchy the second week on it I went back to docotor and they said it cant be Diane ,Come ON ...I was fine before that and no other medication.

after that I developed rash on my bikini area that I thought it was fungus and Dr confirmed it wasnt still they weren't admitting that Diane was causing the rash.

right after I fifnished the firt pack I had some weird symptoms

severe muscle and joint pain I was crying all night

suicidal thougts and tried to kill myself

my hair was falling out and manymore symptoms....

now after 5 months off the pill I know that it was Diane,after 2 months my rashes went away and my joint and muscles were ok ,the pain only comes back 2 weeks before my period.

I know a friend that has been on it for almost 6 years and no problem however her androgen level is extremly high compare to mine which was 1 point over.

everyone is different but that si the only thing I dont recommend.I had no side effect from Accutane ,its funny how Diane was playing withmy life.

p.s my Derm put me on accutane again since my acne got severe after stopping BCPs ,Inever had cystic acne in myentire life and now thanks to BCPs I have them onmy jawline , neck and back which theydont even respond to Accutane like I used to.

MemberMember
(@ele123)

Posted : 08/27/2009 1:03 am

PolskaLaska,

This article is not about whether or not Health Canada is saying you should or should not use Diane 35. They are just mentioning about the precautions that women should take while taking these hormonal pills, and the affects that it can cause to your body. Also, these precautions and affects are mentioned in the pamphlet of the Diane 35 box. So why so surprising? Everything now-a-days has a pro and con, just be aware of the consequences.

MemberMember
(@missgrenade)

Posted : 12/04/2010 4:31 pm

Has anyone had any negative experiences on this stuff?

At age 18 I had a mild stroke. I was on Diane 35 for acne.

The same week, my best friend's cousin dropped dead at a family gathering. She was also on Diane 35.

Use extreme caution with this product. For me and my friend's cousin, there were no side effects leading up to disaster... it came on swiftly and dangerously.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/05/2010 12:16 pm

First of all to blindly follow everything Health Canada says is ignorant. Second, those who have negative reactions to Diane are those who most likely would have negative reactions to most bc pills. It is important to consider any extraneous variables that would result in side effects from the bc pill.

MemberMember
(@calypsostorm)

Posted : 12/16/2010 2:09 pm

First of all to blindly follow everything Health Canada says is ignorant. Second, those who have negative reactions to Diane are those who most likely would have negative reactions to most bc pills. It is important to consider any extraneous variables that would result in side effects from the bc pill.

Exactly! Health Canada has been going on about Diane for many years now saying that people should use caution when taking these pills yet they are still on the market. What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that BC pills like Diane and Yasmin/Yaz are more for women who have hormone irregularities like PCOS as well as those who suffer from bad cases of PMS.

Doctors need to stop prescribing these BC pills to just anyone. These pills should only be used for those who actually have hormonal imbalances since such people would benefit more from them then those who's hormones are normal.

Of course, just like any other medication out there, you won't know how you will react to it until you take it. Some BC pills work great for some women and for others, they are downright nasty. Yasmin was a pill that did not go over well with me but I certainly wouldn't want to see it taken off the market all because some women had really bad side effects from it. That wouldn't be fair to the women who use these pills with no problems.

MemberMember
(@beadyb)

Posted : 12/16/2010 2:28 pm

ALL birth controls have side effects.

Ladies, we are all aware of the risks whilst taking birth control. Just be informed and cautious and voice all concerns with your doctor. Tragedies do happen, but thats no reason to live in fear.

MemberMember
(@brenmc)

Posted : 12/18/2010 8:44 pm

Having these discussions is proactive, doctors don't have all the answers, so I think it's great we have a place to discuss these issues. Cheers!

MemberMember
(@harlowefey)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:18 am

I was on and off different birth controls for about 3 years from when I was 15 to 18. But for almost a year, I was on Diane 35 to control my acne. That was the only reason I was on bcp anyway. None of them really did that great of a job. They did help a bit. Anyway, I was on Diane 35 the day I became a vegan and at the same time I stopped taking my birth control. I was done the 5-6 month dosage anyway. My face freakin' exploded with acne I've never had before like nodules and pastules and all that crap. My face had never been so bad. I honestly thought it was just a purging period where I was detoxing and flushing all the crap out of my system.

Anyway, it's three years later and I'm finally just getting my hormones in check. I'm a vegan, I'm gluten free and I don't eat any white sugar or wheat or dairy or that much soy (soy maybe once every two weeks). I'm really healthy, I exercise at least 5 days a week and I get blOod tests done to make sure I have everythIng I need. But it's taken this long for me

To stop breaking out with hormonal acne and I know it was from taking diane 35. If you go on google and type the after affects of bc, there are so many women that suffer from moderate to severe acne after taking bcp. Not to mention how bad it is for you. I still wouldn't take bcp if it cleared up my skin. At one point, I actually thought about going back on. But it totally defeats some of the purpose of being a vegan for me. I want my body to be clean, and not pumped with a daily dosage of chemicals. I mean, if it works for some people, good for you. But this generation is a lot different than our parents health wise and diet wise. What you put in will definitely have a different effect, especially with the different environmental issues we have today and all the shit we put into our bodies. Bcp isn't good for you. There are more healthy and natural alternatives. All I know is that when I have kids, my daughter will never ever be put on bcp. If I had known the side effects, never would have taken them in the first place.

MemberMember
(@mimi-momo)

Posted : 01/25/2013 12:29 am

I used Diane 35 (name in Europe) for 1 year due to very painful periods. It worked well. No side effects. 3 months after I had quited Diane 35 I have got pregnant.

In 2002 my daughter was born - with missing hand and part of her left arm just below the elbow. You can clearly see undeveloped tiny hand. The doctors said it was because of birth control pills (I have never used birth control pills or any other hormonal medicine exept Diane 35 for 12 months) cry.gif

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 01/25/2013 4:52 am

Diane cleared my skin, but it wasn't worth the hair shedding (weird right?), the 20 pound weight gain and thrombosis i got in my left leg.

loved the skin, hated the side effects. everyone i know who takes diane has bad experiences.

my right leg sorry

MemberMember
(@steph42245)

Posted : 01/28/2013 1:31 am

Diane made my skin the best it has ever been, it was perfect. However, it caused me to lose vision completely for around 10 minutes (I was on my way to school...terrible experience) and have what felt like a mini heart attack (all the symptoms of one but at the hospital they couldnt find anything wrong with me). Definitely not worth it.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/03/2013 10:18 pm

Great thread, I was about to post this article on a new thread http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/01/31/diane35_deaths_of_11_canadian_women_linked_to_acne_drug_compared_to_four_in_france.html

I tried both diane and dianette for a while with positive effects on my acne, but negative psychological effects. Plus, BCP messed up my metabolism and it took years for my body to recover. They put the warning labels for a reason (and to cover their @$$ from lawsuits). Surprisingly, many people do not read the precautions before starting new medication, or do not take the precautions seriously. I was 18 when I first went on diane (in combination with androcur) and my gynecologist neglected to tell me not to smoke while on birth control (I'm from a country where the majority of the population smokes). At 18, I had no idea, until I read the warning label months later.

I used Diane 35 (name in Europe) for 1 year due to very painful periods. It worked well. No side effects. 3 months after I had quited Diane 35 I have got pregnant.

In 2002 my daughter was born - with missing hand and part of her left arm just below the elbow. You can clearly see undeveloped tiny hand. The doctors said it was because of birth control pills (I have never used birth control pills or any other hormonal medicine exept Diane 35 for 12 months) cry.gif

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 02/08/2013 4:47 pm

they have just recently banned Diane 35 in France and it has also just been banned this week in Dubai. I know all medication have side effects and all but this was the nastiest ever. They reported that after 'death related to Diane' as the reason to ban it. I'm so glad i stopped taking it after the blood clot issue i had with it. I'm also glad its finally come to the attention that its a terrible drug and they have realised women have suffered badly on it and decided to stop prescribing it.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 02/10/2013 7:40 pm

I hope Yaz/ yazmin is next on the list to ban

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 02/11/2013 1:58 pm

The biggest problem here is that we simply cannot conclusively test for the risk factors that ANY birth control cause. It's like anesthesia. There is a small risk (about 2-5%) that when you go under general anesthesia you will die. You can have local anesthesia with no problems and still die from general anesthesia.

Remember, the more popular a birth control is, the more likely SOMEONE is going to use it and have a risk factor, or someone is going to use it who has other health problems and it gets blamed on the pill. Diane 35 and Yaz are some of the top-selling birth controls in the world...more users...more possible people with reactions and/or health problems.

Personally I would rather have more medications available so that we can all find what works for us...rather than banning things just because some people have negative reactions. Use your brains, people. All birth controls are risky, and yes, some are more risky than others. I chose not to take any hormonal birth control because I didn't like the risk of synthetic hormones. However, I am currently taking the risk of uterine perforation with my copper IUD. Pros and cons...

If you don't want to take risks, don't take any medications, don't drive a car, don't DO anything because there is a chance that you will die.