Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taintedface

A Sad Woman's Spiro Log and Ugly Acne Journal

DAY 3

Hello,

I am a 27 year old woman who has battled acne since the age of 20, yet my face has never been worse than it is now. 2 months ago I started to get large cysts, and as my life took an unexpected turn, my face got worse. My boyfriend of 9 years and I were planning on getting engaged, but ended breaking up, and I got layed off from work, and to top this beautiful story off, I am eating everything and gaining weight. WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS. :(

I am trying to pick myself up, but I can't even step outside much less put on my game-face with the way I look. My face is so horrible that I feel like crying. I have tried everything anti-biotics, retin-a, duac, tea tree oil, vitamins, and nothing has made even a slight difference.

My Derm wants me to go on accutane but because I got rhinoplasty in Oct, my plastic surgeon wants me to wait until a year post-op to start which would be Oct 09. I read about Spironolactone on here and decided to ask for it in the time being. Am currently on 75 mg of Spiro and Adoxa which is a tetracycline. I hope pray and beg that this works because I can't bear to go out in public like this. A depressing cycle.

I will post some starting pics also. WISH ME LUCK AND PRAY FOR ME!

Hey sorry to hear about your bf and your job. I feel for you I really do. I just graduated from college and got the worst breakouts of my life somehow I manged to keep things under control until now when my face just decided to explode on me now that I have to go on job interviews looking like some pimply teenager in a suit. God I hate it and it's so frustrating. Plus I had to travel looking like this and it totally messed up my experience..instead of being happy I was too busy worrying and dreading my skin. I tried overhauling my diet, drinking more water (running to the bathroom every half hour) and taking vitamins/supplements to no avail. The topcials aren't helping, the supplements don't make a difference, the diet part is good for me but not aiding in clearing my skin..so I am at a loss. I am probably gona go on accutane even though I am sooo terrified of it. I don't want any terrible side effects :( hopefully the spiro works for you. I recently learned about spiro from browsing on here and it seems to be for hormonal acne (but I am not sure if mine is hormonal or what the heck is causing it) but good luck to you and hang in there. I know it's tough but remember after it pours a rainbow usually appears ;)

Thanks so much for the kind words. It helps me feel less alone. Having to find a job while your face is a mess is just torture! I'm so sorry your face is acting up now too while having to search. As if if finding a job wasn't hard enough =( Not even the ton of foundation and concealer I put in can cover the huge cysts I have. Even though I know other people don't pay attention to it as much as I think they do, it makes me feel so insecure.

I don't know if my acne is hormonal or not but since I can't get on Accutane until Oct, I thought I would give it a shot. If your acne can effect your daily life such as a trip where you should be having a good-time, I think accutane is definitely worth a shot. I know its a scary drug, but I think the chance to have clear skin is well worth the risk if you struggle with acne.

The bad thing is that I am reading that Spiro takes at least 2 months before working, but I guess I have nothing to lose. Congratulations on your recent graduation!! :)

Here is to hoping and believing our faces will get better!!

DAY 4

I took 100 milligrams today instead of 75. My face is getting worse so far with no improvement. I have had about 5 new bumps pop up in the last day. I am not using my Retin-A right now , have only been using Duac , but will use Retin-A tonight and see if is does anything.

So far not too many Spiro side affects, just tiredness and trouble sleeping at night. I attached a photo today to better help chart my progress. Thanks for reading!

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open to anything =)

post-108307-1248217352_thumb.jpg

post-108307-1248218241_thumb.jpg

post-108307-1248217352_thumb.jpg

post-108307-1248218241_thumb.jpg

Hi taintedface. Sorry to hear that you're so sad :( I'm on Spiro too. After 2 months of Yaz and initially seeing improvement, I started breaking out worse than ever on my chin and some on my forehead. My new derm prescribed me 50 mg/day but after 5 weeks, she bumped me up to 200mg/day. I'm seeing improvement so far, but I know your frustration in the beginning. I would give your body some more time to get used to the spiro before increasing your dosage. Even before I went to 200mg, I had a week where I was told to take 100mg/day. Good luck and hope your luck turns around.

Hi Queen,

Aww thanks, I am feeling a tad bit better. I know that I have to try to be positive and hopeful. I just started reading "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise Hays, and interestingly, she has a section that lists illnesses and probable causes and she lists the probable cause for acne as " Not accepting the self. Dislike of self." The new thought pattern she suggests for this is "I am a divine expression of life. I love and accept where I am right now." So I am going to really try to work on myself, hit the gym, and try to change my horribly negative thought patterns that keep me down. =)

How long have you been on Spiro? Have you seen improvement? From everything I read, it takes at least 2 months for Spiro to work. Have you tried accutane? I think once I am 1 yr post op which is in 2 moths, I am going to give it a try.

Good luck on your journey, lets hope its speedy! =)

DAY 5

Yay just got my Lerosett mask in the mail today and have it on right now. I used to use this a couple of years ago and felt like it worked. It was recommended by a European aesthetician I was going to at the time. I wonder if one of the reasons my face flared up is bc I am a couple of days away from my period. hmmmm. I am not going to worry too much about finding another job right now, I am just gonna concentrate on feeling and getting better because right now I really don't have what it takes to go out on interviews. My Mom is starting a business and I am going to help her with that for the time being.

I used Retin A last night and my skin felt a little smoother, a little less irritated today. I am going to try and rotate every other day between Duac (5% BP) and Retin A. I think I am also going to to my Lerosett mask every other day for now.

HERE IS TO MY COMEBACK!!! ( AND CLEAR SKIN!!!) :dance:

Hi,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your situation. I am considering going back on accutane- it worked really well for but now I'm having problems again- or trying spiro. Dealing with bad breakouts is enough to cripple and to deal with other life disasters at the same time is awful. I am really hoping for you that this works soon! One question, did you just recently start the retin-a? 'Cause retin-a made me purge REALLLLY badly for months. You are supposed to start slowly using it every third day for a few weeks and work your way up. Keep updating and hope things improve soon.

Hi LD,

Thanks for the kind words! How long were you on accutane for and how long after stopping it did you start to break out again? I am on week 2 of Spiro along with a tetracycline and I have not had any results yet. I am hoping and praying that something will give soon because I am supposed to wait until October to get Accutane. Its seems like it may be my only hope in getting my skin back.

I have been using retin-a for almost 8 years now, so I know it isn't that. Its really crazy how my skin looks because I have had pretty clear skin for a long while, with only bouts of bad breakouts. I truly have no idea what happened. I will say that when I started getting very stressed about my relationship/life, the cysts started and have since multiplied like wildfire all over my face.

It wouldn't hurt to give spiro a try before getting on accutane again. I wish you the best (and the best skin)!!

DAY 11

Skin is pretty much the same, no improvement yet. I am not using retin a right now. Just the Duac which has 5%BP. I used my Lerosett mask yesterday and today, I really think it helps. Also have been icing my face every day once or twice a day, I am not sure if this even helps, but it feels soothing. The one good thing I will note is that the couple of new ones that have popped up have already come to a head and I can see the white tip, which is better than a stubborn cyst with no end in sight. I drained two of them today, yucky.

On Friday I have an appointment with an aesthetician that my aunt went to when her face was breaking out badly. This lady is expensive, but she really helped clear my aunts face and she goes to her religiously.

The huge monster on my forehead, with a life of its own is still going strong even after a cortisone shot a week ago. Its the size of a grape so I am thinking it may have to be lanced.

Tomorrow's a new day!

Hi there! I am also 27 and my skin looks very similar to yours, except I don't get much on my forehead. My acne would probably be worse but I've been taking Bactrim for about two months and I use Differen at night and benzoyl peroxide as spot treatment. So I'm doing all of this and still breaking out, especially when it is that time of the month, so my doc and I decided that I should try Accutane as I've been battling acne since around 15 years of age. I should be starting Accutane in less than two weeks and I"d like to keep a log with pictures. I think you should check it out once I get it started so that you can see the results since you still have some time before you start it. Best of luck!

DAY 14

Yesterday I went to my appointment with the Aesthetician, and she is confident that she can help clear my skin. She did painful extractions, but some of my huge ones have completely gone down which is absolutely amazing. I will no longer be using the Duac or retin a, she said I was overloading my skin and just causing more damage. She gave me these acne patch stickers that I apply at night, and when I woke up this morning, several of them had erupted which is good.

I am supposed to have no sugars or anything white and also stay away from cheese and milk. I am on day 10 of taking zinc, fish oil, vitamin a and e also. Thank the good Lord, I have no new ones either. So I will see her this week also so she can treat my skin and do more extractions. I have a lot of faith in this. I have seen what she did to my aunt's face firsthand, she now has perfect skin that doesn't even require concealer.

So am very happy and full of hope today!!

Butterfly,

I will definitely follow your log. Good luck on your accutane journey, I bet it will do wonders.

DAY 14

Yesterday I went to my appointment with the Aesthetician, and she is confident that she can help clear my skin. She did painful extractions, but some of my huge ones have completely gone down which is absolutely amazing. I will no longer be using the Duac or retin a, she said I was overloading my skin and just causing more damage. She gave me these acne patch stickers that I apply at night, and when I woke up this morning, several of them had erupted which is good.

I am supposed to have no sugars or anything white and also stay away from cheese and milk. I am on day 10 of taking zinc, fish oil, vitamin a and e also. Thank the good Lord, I have no new ones either. So I will see her this week also so she can treat my skin and do more extractions. I have a lot of faith in this. I have seen what she did to my aunt's face firsthand, she now has perfect skin that doesn't even require concealer.

So am very happy and full of hope today!!

Butterfly,

I will definitely follow your log. Good luck on your accutane journey, I bet it will do wonders.

Wow! That sounds great. I hope this will work for you. Keep us posted on what happens. Would helpful if you post before and after pics, too. They can really help you see the difference. It is hard to notice what improvements there are when it is gradual. Good luck! :angel:

Hello Taintedface,

It breaks my heart that you would use a nickname like that. I am 30 years old and have been on Spiro for about 7 years. I have suffered with major acne since im 10 years old. Since age 12, I have been to every derm in a 2 hour radius, and tried every medication multiple times, including accutane twice. Spiro is the ONLY thing that worked for me. My skin improved from the spiro within a few months and has remained clear since. However, I have been taking 100mg TWICE a day, everyday. Im 120lbs. My doctor told me that a smaller dosage of spiro will not clear acne.

I also take Mircette, an oral contraceptive. I hope this helps, and that one day you are happy with your skin!

WHAT GREATLY HELPED ME WAS CETAPHIL TWICE A DAY

FOLLOWED BY TEN MINUITES LATER PURPOSE MOISTURE LOTION

THE CETAPHIL HAS NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS YOUR SKIN WILL REACT TOO

AND THE LOTION WILL HEAL SCARS

AND CAUSE HELING TIME FOR BREAKOUTS TO GO AWAY FASTER AND BECOME LESS RED

AND USE CLEAN AND CLEAR WITH BENSOL PEROXIDE ONLY WHEN YOU SHOWER TO KILL THE BACKTERIA BEING CAREFUL NOT TO GET IT IN YOUR OPENINGS

IT OVERDRYS SO ONLY IN THE SHOWER OVER DRIED SKIN CANT HEAL SO

ONLY IN THE SHOWER

ALL THE PRODUCTS I EVER USED MADE MY BREAKOUTS WORSE

CHEMICALS MAKE THE SKIN SWELL AND TIGHTEN AND TRAP DIRT

SO IN FACT ACNE PRODUCTS WILL WORSEN ACNE

BETWEEN YOUR TWICE A DAY WASH WHEN YOUR SKIN GETS OILY AGAIN

SPLASH COLD WATER ON YOUR FACE TO REWAKEN YOUR MORNING WASHED RUTINE

THAT WILL GET RID OF THE OIL THAT WILL CAUSE YOU TO BREAK OUT AGAIN

AND PAT DRY MOST SINK WATER CARRIES CHEMICALS

THAT KILL BACKTERIA IN THE WATER SO THE WATER ALONE WILL HELP WITHOUT

IRRITATING YOUR SKIN AND LESS IRRITATED SKIN WILL HEAL SO ONLY WASH AND LOSHION

TWICE A DAY

YOUR FACE IS AS DELICUTE AS A BABYS SKIN YOU WOULDNT PUT CHEMICALS ON A BABYS

FACE WOULD YOU? I SURE WOULDNT!!!!!

HOPE THAT HELPED I HAD ACNE REALLY BAD MOST MY LIFE AND

FOUND THAT THE CHEPEST MOST GENTLE SKIN PRODUCT WORKED

AND DISCOVERED IT ON HERE AND TRIED IT THANKS TO ALL THE KIDS

THAT RECOMENDED IT TO ME ON THE CETAPHIL BOTTLE IT EVEN SAYS EVERY AGE AVERY STAGE EVERY DAY

MAKE SURE TO GET THE PURPOSE DERMATOLIGIST RECOMENDED LOTION IT ALSO

HAS SPF 15 SO THE SUN WONT BORN AND SWELL YOUR SKIN AS ITS HEALING BEST LUCK!!!

Hi Taintedface-

I'm so sorry to hear about your frustrations. While your situation sounds quite a bit more extreme than mine, I also didn't start getting cysts until adulthood. And I've tried everything! Antibiotics, holistic treatments, dietary regimens, topicals, etc., etc.

Although I know everyone's skin is different, I thought I would share my current regimen in case you are still looking for the right program for yourself.

Morning:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

20-30 minutes under Trophy Skin BlueMD blue light (this is a blue light therapy device)

Murad Skin perfecting lotion & Cetaphil 15spf lotion

During the day:

2 fish oil pills (taken with food - one with breakfast, one with dinner)

Try my best not to touch or pick at my face

Aveda "inner light" concealer

Night:

Murad 1.5% SA cleanser

20-30 minutes under Trophy Skin

Murad skin perfecting lotion

I know how easy it is to be skeptical about the blue light therapy, but I had tried antibiotics, topicals, birth control, and spent so much money on it all, I figured "why not this too?" They say it works for 90% of acne sufferers, so it might be worth trying for you, since your doctors are saying you can't get on accutane at present.

Stay strong! This is a tough struggle, but you'll make it!

just wanted to show support and wish u luck on ur pretty skin venture. I dont have any advice because like you i am struggling and our faces look just the same !