Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChiGirl143

second month on Accutane

Hi everyone! I'm new to acne.org, and I'm excited to be able to share myself during my Accutane journey as well as to hear how everyone else is doing on it. I'm almost done with my second month (I just took my 48th pill today.) Results have been pretty good for the most part. I haven't had any of those large and painful cyst-like spots like before, knock on wood. The only side effects I've had are the chapped lips which seem to come in waves... I'll be ok one day, start drying up the next, more chapped the next, until I finally peel off and start the cycle again. I've been taking my 40mg pill each evening with a meal and a glass of whole milk.

I still have some seedy blackheads underneath the surface of my skin on my cheeks, chin, and upper lip. They seem like they won't budge for awhile- they're not changing at all and I can only feel them when I wash my face or make my skin taut. They seem to be pretty deep too. Does anyone have any experience with these? Will they eventually surface?

I go in for my bloodtest on Wednesday, I'm not too worried as my other results came out pretty normal. I'm very excited to be clear soon. I've slowly gained confidence to go out on some dates and out with friends. There were a few weekends though where I had to stay in and hide all weekend because my initial breakouts were too embarrassing. Hopefully the worst is behind me.

Wishing you all well,

ChiGirl

Hi there, ChiGirl143. Welcome to acne.org. I wish you the best on your course. I'm going to move this introduction to the Accutane portion of the board so you can get some answers for your questions. Take care!

Hi ChiGirl143!

I'm starting Accutane next week and i'm really worried about the side affects etc. I've bought loads of creams and that to deal with the dryness and chapped lips but have you got any tips on how to prepare myself for Accutane? And is the side affects your getting really bad or are they manageable?

Good luck on your course and i hope you get good results!

Thanks

Josh :D

Hi Josh! I was also very nervous about starting Accutane, especially since I'm a girl. Check out this website, it goes over the side affects of Accutane pretty well: www.vitaminA.org. When you learn of the % of Accutane users who experience each type of scary side affect (depression, hair loss, etc.) it makes it seem LESS scary because not many users experience them.

The only side affects I have experienced so far are the chapped lips. Aquaphor really helps with that, I have a little tube in my pocket at all times. I also have been using the CeraVe skincare line, per my dr's recommendation. I think it's similar to Cetphil and keeps the skin hydrated. I have not been dry much at all, maybe a little bit at the beginning. I had very oily skin to start with. Since I've been on the med, it has controlled my oiliness dramatically. I used to need blotting papers several times a day, but now not at all. In the last few days though, I am starting to feel a little more oily. I see my dr next week, so maybe she will increase my dose.

I hope this helps! Keep in touch during your experience!

ChiGirl

Thank you Siava! This really helps me out!

hey chigirl just wanted to let u klnow that i am on my 1st month day 22 and see exactly what blackheads you are talking about...they are all over my nose and around my nose, below my chin, and i can feel them when i touch my nose and see them when i look close...although someof them seeem to be coming out the majority are staying in there and i guess will be brough out when the doses are increased. I'm also dealing with alot of redness, and some breakouts but my face is looking terrible

I know how you feel about the terrible breakouts... just hang in there. I remember in the earlier weeks I was getting a ton of whiteheads and I'd have to operate with a needle and cotton squares every morning before going out into public... and then by the end of the day I'd have new ones. It will get better, I think that's the hope that got me through the first few weeks. Concerning the blackheads on your nose, have you tried those nose strips by Biore? I have used them twice since my treatment started, and they worked great. I used them when I was able to feel a ton of blackheads just sitting at the surface of my nose.

Something that really helps me during this treatment and in getting rid of some of those blackheads is spending some time in the shower with a magnified mirror and gently sloughing the dead skin off my face once I've soaked myself for about 15 minutes. I simply use my fingertips to do this. It's amazing how much skin just easily rubs off revealing a fresh, smooth layer underneath. And while I do this, some blackheads just come right out of their sockets!!

BTW, I've been very conscious of what I am taking my Accutane pill with each day. I heard that drinking a glass of whole milk with your pill, or just taking it with a fatty meal gives you the BEST results.

ChiGirl