Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, I was always wondering why during the day my face would randomly turn "ashy" or dry when I would smile or open my mouth. When I wash my face, I can see the dead skin on my face, but worried that if I tried to rub it off, I would irritate it and make my skin break out. I have a strong feeling that because I never exfoliate my face, I get these random bursts of "ashyness" during the day. Does anyone have a special way to exfoliate the skin without irritating it? if it helps, i'm currently on the regimen.

i would use st. ivs apricot face scrub but you have to do it gently, also moisturize after you wash your face

Exfoliating scrubs, such as St. Ives, that contain bits of ground up apricot or peach pits (or anything similar) aren't the greatest for acne-prone skin. The granules in them actually contain sharp, jagged edges which can cause micro-tears in your skin, which are not only irritating (and irritation can lead to breakouts), but make an excellent entry point for bacteria.

A better option, if you still want to use a manual exfoliant, would be to find one that has smooth, silica beads in it. These beads are just as good at helping to loosen up dry, dead skin, but because they're smooth, they're gentler on your skin.

Guest missyjean130

My skin sheds pretty fast and I often wipe my face down with soft cotton rounds to dry my skin after a washing.

I also 2nd the baby brush method of exfoliation,however,I got a rotating skin brush now.

Just remember to properly moisturize your skin too,not too much and not too little...this will lessen flakiness.

Ditto to the babybrush method - also moisturize. The one in my sig is fairly heavy-duty but it was the only one that worked (i.e. stopped flakiness and not majorly greasy) after much experimentation.

I do use St Ives -regularly - tho I broadly agree with what c'est la vigne and others are saying there. It's not for everyone.

Hyperproliferation and flakiness have been my biggest problems so I've ended up exfoliating twice a day - a lot more than many people need to - and I'm doing quite well on this reg at the mo. Also my skin is older (I'm 34 :boohoo: ) and possibly a bit better able to deal.

For most a gentler one would be better - such as the c+c and neutrogena ones with the rounded beads (which you'll be finding literally everywhere when you start using them btw lol).

Guest missyjean130
Ditto to the babybrush method - also moisturize. The one in my sig is fairly heavy-duty but it was the only one that worked (i.e. stopped flakiness and not majorly greasy) after much experimentation.

I do use St Ives -regularly - tho I broadly agree with what c'est la vigne and others are saying there. It's not for everyone.

Hyperproliferation and flakiness have been my biggest problems so I've ended up exfoliating twice a day - a lot more than many people need to - and I'm doing quite well on this reg at the mo. Also my skin is older (I'm 34 :boohoo: ) and possibly a bit better able to deal.

For most a gentler one would be better - such as the c+c and neutrogena ones with the rounded beads (which you'll be finding literally everywhere when you start using them btw lol).

I think I may have an issue with this,I exfoliate twice everyday and every time I do the skin comes off and makes a bunch of those rolled up pieces.Know what I'm talking about? When I go on retinoids the problem increases even more. I can't keep a tan if I wanted one. I can't even explain how red marks last so long for me or why my acne was even bad to begin with since there's so much skin shedding going on.

How do I know if I have this? You can pm me too,I've been weirded out for years by this..

I think I may have an issue with this,I exfoliate twice everyday and every time I do the skin comes off and makes a bunch of those rolled up pieces.Know what I'm talking about? When I go on retinoids the problem increases even more. I can't keep a tan if I wanted one. I can't even explain how red marks last so long for me or why my acne was even bad to begin with since there's so much skin shedding going on.

How do I know if I have this? You can pm me too,I've been weirded out for years by this..

Well for me - before exfoliating I would literally build up layers of dead skin - I mean it would be really caked up, especially around my nose and cheeks and I could scrape off a ton of it with a fingernail. I would moisturize but like the OP, I'd smile or something and there'd just be flakes everywhere :X

Pretty weird and sick. But then I also (triggered by a super-stressful period of my life back in 04) got plaque psoriasis (which I can tell you leaves acne in the shade as far as body-image goes). Thing is psoriasis is also an autoimmune, inflamed skin disease associated with skin hyperproliferation. I think I'm possibly just genetically predisposed to it.

I managed to shake the psoriasis (took about a year, effectively while the stress of the event was passing) but I continued to get acne. I believe my own acne is caused by excessive skin production blocking pores, leading to infection and inflammation. Manual exfoliation - the babybrush - has been a major breakthrough but also SA.

{Just to note: I used neem oil a lot on psoriasis and it helped WAY more than most stuff (way better than cortisone for instance). I would never have tried it for acne, but I just read a post by acnejean saying she used it for a cystic breakout to good effect... interesting. }

I personally use the Buf Puf Sponge. I had a similar problem to yours, after i would cleanse, there would be a visible light coating of dead skin. I would scrape it w/ my finger nails and the white stuff would accumulate under my nail. pretty nasty. I just use the jojoba oil exfoliating method around my nose, as the sponge is awkward to use on non-flat surfaces. the sponge is used everywhere else.

and now i hardly have an issues w/ dead skin piling up!

Why dont you just shave?

I use an electric shaver because a razor is fairly irritating. Im not sure why, but it always gives me these very small pimples by my chin.