Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AustinReed

Can spf leave face red?

its olay complete spf 15. sensitive skin. active ingredients are 6% octinoaxate, 3% zinc oxide

Those are only active ingredients listed, I meant everything. I found it myself...

Active Ingredients: Contains: Octinoxate (6%), Zinc Oxide (3%)

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Polyacrylamide C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG 20/20 Dimethicone, Steareth 21, Stearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polycottonseedate, Behenyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Disodium EDTA, Steareth 2, Oleth 3 Phosphate

There's alot of stuff in there... I for one have problems with all kinds of alcohol and as far as I can see (at a glance) there is 5 of them inside your sunscreen.

Aim for a product with less ingredients if you have sensitive skin. If you get irritated again, that way you'll easily find out what's causing it.

P.S. What does "active ingredient" label mean anyway since everything's active? I don't get this stupid marketing stuff

Any facial moisterizers come to mind? They dont have to have spf. I am usaully never in the sun for then 5 mins at a time. Its just I always thought mine aswell use a moistezier with SPF.

Actually, it's the other way around. You can ditch the moisturizer and use spf and then of course spend more time in the sun. I'm not into mood of explaining why moisturizers are bad for your skin... Maybe tomorrow.

P.S. What does "active ingredient" label mean anyway since everything's active? I don't get this stupid marketing stuff

The "active ingredients" are the ones that do what the product is intended for. So in a sunscreen, the active ingredients are the ones that actually provide protection from the sun. Or, like, in an acne treatment, the active ingredients would be the ones that actually effect acne.

The rest are inert ingredients--bases to carry the active ingredients, stabilizers, colors, fragrances, etc.

I have the same problem with sunscreens that use chemical sunscreen agents in them like avobenzone and others. The Olay product mentioned by the OP was one of the ones that made my skin sting and red.

A little background -- sunscreen agents can be divided into 2 classes: chemical sunscreens and physical blocks. Only zinc oxide and titanium oxide are physical blocks. All others are chemical sunscreens. In general, the chemical agents are more irritating. The physical blocks are known for being less irritating, but more likely to lead to clogged pores.

I've used avobenzone based sunscreens in recent years because I wanted to do everything I could to avoid clogged pores, but I recently tried Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 60+ with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as the active ingredients. Amazing difference! My skin no longers reddens or stings when I put this on. I am loving it! I'm going to stick with it and hopefully it won't contribute to acne. I figure all that redness and stinging that I used to put up with DAILY couldn't have been good for my skin, so I'm really excited about this. Also, since it's rated SPF 60+ I figure I won't have to use very much of it to get good protection.

It's pretty hard to find sunscreens formulated with only physical block agents. As far as I know, Neutrogena is the only brand commonly found in drugstores that has any.