Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
g.acne

Acne in the family

Ryt i know for sure that i have inherited acne from my dad, my dad had it pretty badly and has got scars from it, does this mean i will 100% get acne scars to live with or do you think its dependent on how the person looks afgter their skin whilst they have acne ? i look after my skin well i would say eating helthy, regular washes etc . . so i hope im not going to get huge scars like my dad. any comments?

Our generation has evolved from his.

We have better things to fight acne than they did.

So you're skin probably won't look like your dads.

Though, My mom has bad acne scars, and I'm starting to get them as well.

Hey there! Well, acne is hereditary meaning that if one of your parents had it, you have a greater chance of having it as well. However, you do not inherit scars. Scars form when you do not control your acne and let the cysts damage your skin permanently. So, if you have a good skin regime and are controlling your acne breakouts, not getting inflammed cysts, and most importantly NOT PICKING on them, then the chances are that the scarring will be minimal, if any. Hope that helps. I am not a doctor but I am studying Science at uni.

ahhh thankyou so much for your replys guys, im pretty sure i look after my skin better than my dad did and use more products speacialized for acne so hope i dont get any or limited scars :) thanks again

I've moved this to the Scar Treatments board, as you're asking about scarring.

The Acne Research board is for discussing the latest acne studies and scientific evidence.

I'm not trying to say it will happen to you, but I took the best preventative measures against acne and never picked my skin and I still scarred. My dermatologist put me on every topical and nothing worked for me until accutane. Much of my scarring came after the ib on accutane, and from stories I have read on here, I'm not the only one. Conversely, I know people who had terrible acne, never treated it, and they never scarred. I'm not trying to scare you, but there is really no way to know whether someone will scar from acne or not. Obviously, the deeper and more prolonged the acne, the greater the chance of scarring. I know dermatologists love to say it, but it's true: the only way to absolutely prevent scarring is to prevent acne from occurring in the first place.