Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shannieee

Do you think I qualify for accutane?

've been on Differin 2 times, BenzaClin 2 times, Ziana once, Minnocyline for 6 months, Doxycyline for 2. That's the prescription ones I've been on.

The over the counter ones I've been on

Neutrogena On-The-Spot acne treatment

Clean and Clear persa gel

Neutroagena Oil-Free Acne Wash

Purpose Gel Cleanser

Clean and Clear Duel Action Moisturizer

Burt's Bee's Gatden Tomato Complexion Soap

SuperDrug Tee Tree Oil

The list goes on and on. I'm 13 do you think I'd qualify for a low dosage?

And none of is has worked, I'm 13 years old

Right now I have about 7 pimples on my face, but not little small ones, medium size ones.

I took accutane after only one 3month period of antibiotics (and 2 years of having acne before that). The trick is to get your parents in support of it, then walk into the doctor's office and refuse to accept anything less than accutane.

Just make sure to get your blood tested often, and if you start feeling depressed or weird in anyway then you make sure you let your dermatologist know.

Seven pimples doesn't sound that bad to have to go on accutane. I have used probably the same amount of products if not more and I can't go on it. It depends how severe your acne is, it has to be pretty bad. But like the person said above if you pretty much demand it you have a seldom chance...

I'm 13 and I'm so self conscios about my acne. I've heard WONDERFUL things about accutane and I'm thinking it's the next step. I can't live with these gross things on my face any more.

I've been on literally EVERYTHING (All at different times of course)

Prescription drugs I've been on:

Differin two times: Once for six months, the other time for two

Ziana for two months

BenzaClin twice: Both times for about two months

Minocyline(Sp?) once for over six months

Doxycyline for about 2 months

OTC things I've been on:

Neutrogena On-The-Spot

ProActive

Clean and Clear persa Gel

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

Ole Henriksen products

Clinique

Clean and Clear Advantage kit

Neutrogena Kit

Tee Tree Oil

Burt's Bee's Garden Tomato Complexion Soap

Clean and clear advantage kit

cetaphil

sea breeze

....the list goes on and on

I've also been on crazy diets... only eating apples for 3 days, only organic food, only drinking water and eating raw fruit and veggies for a week, becoming a veggetarain, cutting out meat and dairy completley....

So do you think it's time for accutane? I get moderate acne on the sides of my face, blackheads on my forehead and chin, blackheads under my eyes, small pimples on my chest, and blackheads and small zits on my back.

I'm 13 and I'm so self conscios about my acne. I've heard WONDERFUL things about accutane and I'm thinking it's the next step. I can't live with these gross things on my face any more.

Ziana for two months

OTC things I've been on:

Neutrogena On-The-Spot

ProActive

Ole Henriksen products

Clinique

Neutrogena Kit

Tee Tree Oil

cetaphil

sea breeze

I've also been on crazy diets... only eating apples for 3 days, only organic food, only drinking water and eating raw fruit and veggies for a week, becoming a veggetarain, cutting out meat and dairy completley....

So do you think it's time for accutane? I get moderate acne on the sides of my face, blackheads on my forehead and chin, blackheads under my eyes, small pimples on my chest, and blackheads and small zits on my back.

Ziana for two months

OTC things I've been on:

Neutrogena On-The-Spot

ProActive

Ole Henriksen products

Clinique

Neutrogena Kit

Tee Tree Oil

cetaphil

sea breeze

Ziana for two months

OTC things I've been on:

Neutrogena On-The-Spot

ProActive

Ole Henriksen products

Clinique

Neutrogena Kit

Tee Tree Oil

cetaphil

sea breeze

Hey Shanie!

I've been on Accutane once for a 5 month course and it seriously did wonders for my skin! I had moderate acne that was pretty much all over my face.. My derm gladly put me on Accutane. I'm sure you will be a great candidate for the drug. Usually they prescribe it to people with severe nodular, or cystic acne.. But they will also prescribe it to people who have mild-moderate persistent acne and who have tried everything else with no success.

Goodluck! I'm trying to get on Accutane again for another round!

Hi :]] I'm starting Accutane next month for persistent acne that nothing else has worked for, I've been doing my research and so far I've learned that it makes your skin EXTREMELY dry. After my reasearch I've come up with this regime for my course of accutane? is it OK before I start?

Also, any information on accutane, past experiences, anything would be very helpful

Every Morning

1. Wet face with warm (not hot)water. Work Cetaphil cleanser into skin.

2. Use washcloth in circular motion to buff away dead skin. Don't neglect your lips.

3. Follow with cold water, more cetaphil cleanser (no facecloth,) and rinse with cold water.

Pat skin dry with soft towel.

4. Apply The Body Shop's Vitamin E Sink-In mask liberally. A dime size each on the forehead, cheeks and chin. This should be completely soaked into the skin in a few minutes. Apply Vaseline to lips, paying particular attention to the corners of the mouth.

5. Once the moisture mask has sunk in, spray skin with Evian Mineral Water. Wait a few moments and then gently rub in excess water.

6. Conclude with Clinique moisturizer.

Every Night

1. Wash with Cetaphil Cleanser

2. Use Clinique Moisturizer

Hi :]] I'm starting Accutane next month for persistent acne that nothing else has worked for, I've been doing my research and so far I've learned that it makes your skin EXTREMELY dry. After my reasearch I've come up with this regime for my course of accutane? is it OK before I start?

Also, any information on accutane, past experiences, anything would be very helpful

Every Morning

1. Wet face with warm (not hot)water. Work Cetaphil cleanser into skin.

2. Use washcloth in circular motion to buff away dead skin. Don't neglect your lips.

3. Follow with cold water, more cetaphil cleanser (no facecloth,) and rinse with cold water.

Pat skin dry with soft towel.

4. Apply The Body Shop's Vitamin E Sink-In mask liberally. A dime size each on the forehead, cheeks and chin. This should be completely soaked into the skin in a few minutes. Apply Vaseline to lips, paying particular attention to the corners of the mouth.

5. Once the moisture mask has sunk in, spray skin with Evian Mineral Water. Wait a few moments and then gently rub in excess water.

6. Conclude with Clinique moisturizer.

Every Night

1. Wash with Cetaphil Cleanser

2. Use Clinique Moisturizer

Too much buffing will irritate the skin. Look at the pinned posts at the top of this forum for suggestions. Read the logs of other posters who have been on Accutane.

Here's a better suggestion:

AM: Wash gently with Cetaphil cleanser with warmish water. Rinse with cold. NO BUFFING.

Moisturize with non-comedogenic moisturizer of choice. Look at other logs and at the acne.org recommended moisturizers.

Use lip balm of choice; petrolatum jelly is great and also works on the face if the skin is particularly dry and irritated. Aquaphor is another good choice.

PM: Same.

No need for masks, etc. A good moisturizer. lip balm and isotretinoin is all you need.

I suggest you read your PMs.

I think I qualify, I've been on numerous prescription and OTC medications, probably around 50 different things in all, not all at the same time of course.

I think it's time for tane, I'm 14 years old.

What's the whole process, I know you go to the derm and he tells you and u sign up for iPledge and you get blood drawn and take a pregnancy test and all that but what happens after that, how much does the tane cost with insurance?

Idk wether it's relevant but

Female

13 years old, 14 in October

120 pounds

Can you also recommend a good regime to use while on tane? I saw one on WikiHow that looked pretty decent: --- What do you think about that one?

&& Can you share your experience with tane? How long was it until you were clear, did you get an IB? ....

Here are some pictures: (I look like crap it's 12:30 at night :P )

post-108485-1248324169_thumb.jpg

Thanks <3

post-108485-1248324303_thumb.jpg

post-108485-1248324311_thumb.jpg

post-108485-1248324169_thumb.jpg

post-108485-1248324303_thumb.jpg

post-108485-1248324311_thumb.jpg

These are really questions you should be asking your dermatologist, but I can answer a few.

The "qualifications" for Accutane depend on your dermatologist. It's usually prescribed for 1.) severe cystic acne or 2.) mild, persistent acne. Only your doctor can determine whether you should take Accutane; we can't tell just by looking at pictures.

The cost depends on what type of insurance you have.

Here's the usual process for girls:

1. Go to the derm, who registers you for iPledge. Get your blood drawn and tested for pregnancy.

2. Use birth control for 30 days.

3. Get a second blood test.

4. Answer the quiz on the iPledge website, then receive your 30-day box of pills.

5. After 30 days, get your blood drawn again and receive your next box of pills.

If you want to learn about others' experiences with Accutane and their recommended regimens, I suggest you check out the Accutane log board! People keep diaries of their experiences there and photographs of their progress.

Good luck!

Hey Shanie!

I've been on Accutane once for a 5 month course and it seriously did wonders for my skin! I had moderate acne that was pretty much all over my face.. My derm gladly put me on Accutane. I'm sure you will be a great candidate for the drug. Usually they prescribe it to people with severe nodular, or cystic acne.. But they will also prescribe it to people who have mild-moderate persistent acne and who have tried everything else with no success.

That makes me even more frustrated!!! My new dermatologist at this clinic I go to (I don't have a choice due to my insurance) has pretty much told me that there's no way I'll ever get Accutane. I had it in the past, with the same amount of acne, and my previous dermatologist (whom I *loved* but had to go out of practice due to family reasons) in a 6-month dose.

I saw amazing things with this drug with little to no side effects, and she tried to intimidate me by saying, "You have to come in EVERY MONTH and sign into iPledge..."

When I told her I went through practically the same process almost 4-5 years ago (and was willing to since nothing else worked) she just looked at me and retorted, "Well, your acne isn't bad enough to get it. You could go wherever you wanted to and no one would give a prescription."

Yes, woman, I get it. You don't want me to have it. So instead she put me on a higher dose of Keflex, which I was already on at a lower dose, with a warning that I would probably get a yeast infection. I'm 23 with a fiance, a child, and I'm getting married in April... this should be oh-so-fun!

Not.

But I am glad you're seeing results! You sound as happy as I was many years back! I love Accutane... I sing its praises (to myself, of course)! I hate my devil woman of a dermatologist.

Hey Shanie!

That makes me even more frustrated!!! My new dermatologist at this clinic I go to (I don't have a choice due to my insurance) has pretty much told me that there's no way I'll ever get Accutane. I had it in the past, with the same amount of acne, and my previous dermatologist (whom I *loved* but had to go out of practice due to family reasons) in a 6-month dose.

I saw amazing things with this drug with little to no side effects, and she tried to intimidate me by saying, "You have to come in EVERY MONTH and sign into iPledge..."

When I told her I went through practically the same process almost 4-5 years ago (and was willing to since nothing else worked) she just looked at me and retorted, "Well, your acne isn't bad enough to get it. You could go wherever you wanted to and no one would give a prescription."

Yes, woman, I get it. You don't want me to have it. So instead she put me on a higher dose of Keflex, which I was already on at a lower dose, with a warning that I would probably get a yeast infection. I'm 23 with a fiance, a child, and I'm getting married in April... this should be oh-so-fun!

Not.

But I am glad you're seeing results! You sound as happy as I was many years back! I love Accutane... I sing its praises (to myself, of course)! I hate my devil woman of a dermatologist.

My old derma was like that, too! He said, "Oh, it's a ton of paperwork for both of us. Just try this stuff", throwing mino-differin-bp at me. Which I had already used...and it turns out the iPledge paperwork took like five minutes. What a jerk. Hopefully you can reason with this woman as she obviously is set in her ways. She sounds very close-minded.

Not.

1) To the original poster- yes, you probably "qualify for accutane". Your skin isn't bad, but I can understand how you could feel self-conscious about it in high school. As far as whether or not you should go on accutane, I leave that to you and your dermatologist. Personally, I gave my skin every possible chance to clear up naturally before going on accutane at 24. Please note though, I am not saying that that is the right decision; I do regret not going on it sooner. At the same time, 13 is definitely on the young side of things. I know it is tough to be patient, but try to consider all your options. I wish you the best!

2) To the poster im quoting- wow, your new dermatologist sucks. And to be honest, I would kinda advocate telling her as much. Trying to intimidate you in such a way is not only unprofessional on her part, it is extremely insulting. It is suggesting that you would be dissuaded from pursuing something of desire because of moderate inconvenience. Basically she is insinuating you are lazy. I would be kind of offended.

If you visit her again, make sure that you communicate your thoughts to her. You are paying her to be an advocate for you. If she isn't living up to that, she isnt of use to you.