Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello buddies,

I went to the gym today after getting off of it in three week just because of my recent breakout which puts me on Accutane. Actually I look good now (touch wood), except some scars on my left cheek and my chin and one cyst almost healing at the left side of my jawline.

As soon as the receptionist saw me, she asked me:

- What happened?

Acting as if I didn't understand her question, I tried to take my towels away:

- What happened?

- I had a breakout. I tried to speak almost as I were whispering as there were lots of gorgeous guys there.

- Why? Why do you have a breakout?

"What the f**k!!!", I thought. If I had known what caused my breakout, I would have definitely been able to minimize its possibility to happen.

- I don't know.

- Why?

I was silent, trying not to lose my temper.

- You have to drink lots of water, bloh blah. (Just common sense tips for acne that everyone knows).

Okay, I know that she's trying to act sweet and caring. But couldn't she be more considerate?

Hello buddies,

I went to the gym today after getting off of it in three week just because of my recent breakout which puts me on Accutane. Actually I look good now (touch wood), except some scars on my left cheek and my chin and one cyst almost healing at the left side of my jawline.

As soon as the receptionist saw me, she asked me:

- What happened?

Acting as if I didn't understand her question, I tried to take my towels away:

- What happened?

- I had a breakout. I tried to speak almost as I were whispering as there were lots of gorgeous guys there.

- Why? Why do you have a breakout?

"What the f**k!!!", I thought. If I had known what caused my breakout, I would have definitely been able to minimize its possibility to happen.

- I don't know.

- Why?

I was silent, trying not to lose my temper.

- You have to drink lots of water, bloh blah. (Just common sense tips for acne that everyone knows).

Okay, I know that she's trying to act sweet and caring. But couldn't she be more considerate?

if you are on accutane then maybe your skin looks dry. i know mine did when I was on accutane and so she was maybe giving friendly advice cos your skin looked dry?!?!

Anyway, if you're on accutane suck it up for a few months and you'll be fine.

Guest missyjean130

Oh my gosh! That's horribly embarrassing..I remember when I first started getting really bad acne in middle school everyone would try and give me advice and such...even clip out magazine articles of proactive...

They didn't know anything about acne,they never had severe acne...they just washed their face with Clearasil and were fine. They didn't understand that not everyone works like that and some people are very resistant to common treatments.

Sure,you know they're trying to help,but speak up and say that you just don't really want to discuss something like that. Say it nicely,and hopefully they get the picture that it's an embarrassing topic of discussion for you =)

Your receptionist obviously doesn't have tact =/

exactly. i would hate it! HATE IT! if someone asked about my acne like that, not to mention in public. sorry to hear about taht.

I skipped my work and gym today as my face is really bad with one small and two huge cysts. The two monster ones are making my face swollen. I really don't know how to come to work with this face tomorrow :( Should I ask for a medical leave for "bad skin condition", or "allergy"? Say, allergy would be quite a fine reason? :)

There's an old lady at my workplace who's so caring (???) that she becomes curious by negative sense. I'm quite afraid she's gonna say it out loud in front of many people, which might "drag me to hell" for embarrassment :(

ya, i stopped going to the gym as well about 2 months ago because of my cystic acne :(. and i was on my way to being in shape. now i'm going to have to start all over again! once a few pimples dissapear. have you ever gone to work with a huge cyst? cus i have. my supervisor noticed definitely but didn't say anythin. oh my god that day was the worst. it was the worst hell for me. how often have you called in sick from acne?

ya, i stopped going to the gym as well about 2 months ago because of my cystic acne :(. and i was on my way to being in shape. now i'm going to have to start all over again! once a few pimples dissapear. have you ever gone to work with a huge cyst? cus i have. my supervisor noticed definitely but didn't say anythin. oh my god that day was the worst. it was the worst hell for me. how often have you called in sick from acne?

I have never called in sick because of acne, but boy there were days that I wished I would have lol!! I've had acne ever since I was 17 (I'm now 24) and there was a period not long ago where I had terrible nodular acne for about 4 months straight. That was the worst time of my life by a long shot. Everyday at work was a challenge for me, and I stopped going to the gym as well because I was too embarrassed. But I read that doing cardio helps with acne, so I decided to start running at 5am in order to avoid being seen by people. I've lost a lot of weight and my acne is definitely less severe, plus I got on Dan's Regime which is the biggest reason why my acne has improved :). So don't give up the things that you enjoy doing "coolguy." Start working out at home if you don't feel up to go to the gym!

In my situation, I may try going to another outlet of my fitness club where I'm not so "popular", lol. Btw, I'm on medical leave today, tomorrow and Friday. The doctor that I saw today was so nice that when I chose to be straightforward to her about what I might suffer if I'm brave enough t carry myself to work, she decided to put me medical leave for three days. She was so sweet and understanding, which is very exceptional. I know some people might burst out laughing if they know how bad we, acne sufferers, really feel in such situation.

wow thanks for that reply t100019! ya...work can be challenging to suck up to when you have acne because you can't just skip work as easily as school. although school is challenging as well. i go to college and of all the people i've seen, none are as bad as me. i have the worst acne (well, when i get the cysts). personally, i doubt cardio would help, it's almost like working out. my doctor says if you work out (weight training), your hormones will increase causing you more acne. and i don't think dan's regime would help for the cystic acne :(. i'm on accutane though and that's the only thing that's been working. and maybe i will work out at home now :D. thanks.

missyjean,theheir..sorry thats not horrible, i wasnt there so i dont know the whole context of expressions went, but she asked why you wasnt there, you told her. to be honest, if i was a receptonist and someone didtn show for 3 weeks, and the answer was a breakout, i would ask why too. it couldve been an allergic reaction breakout. it couldve been a breakout from one of their machines. if you didnt want the topic of your acne bein brought up you shouldve just said were busy or somethin. but by bringin it up, your opening the door for questions bein asked. and by her throwin a suggestion to you(wether its good or bad) shouldnt be criticised. im all ears when it comes to suggestions on how to treat me skin, theres always somethin you can learn. if the place/receptonist is that bad just dont go back. me personally, i only wouldve been mad that she said it out loud, but other than that, i wouldnt of even thought twice, her job is to talk

and sorry guys, maybe im bein upbeat..but callin out of work and not goin to a gym because of acne is just obsurd. its basically allowin you to take over. i know someones gonna rip me a new asshole for how I FEEL about it. and just to set the record straight, im not makin fun of anyone for how they position themselves mentally, but its just things like that, that starts a bad trend, when you start cuttin yourself from society, and you start givin it to it. not everyday is perfect, i get that, but try and stay motivated. everyone is a beautiful person in there own way physically and mentally, i just hate to see people do that to themselves

and sorry guys, maybe im bein upbeat..but callin out of work and not goin to a gym because of acne is just obsurd. its basically allowin you to take over. i know someones gonna rip me a new asshole for how I FEEL about it. and just to set the record straight, im not makin fun of anyone for how they position themselves mentally, but its just things like that, that starts a bad trend, when you start cuttin yourself from society, and you start givin it to it. not everyday is perfect, i get that, but try and stay motivated. everyone is a beautiful person in there own way physically and mentally, i just hate to see people do that to themselves

I agree the gym i go to and a popular gym i must their are plenty of pimple whoe suffer from acne adults and teenagers men and woman and no 1 seems to care about it 1 bit they just go about their business and workout and do what they do at the gym. Dont let acne stop you from doing the things you wanna do because their are plenty of people out their going through what you do and their not letting it stop them or bring em down

i know someones gonna rip me a new asshole for how I FEEL about it.

lol

Edited by Heir

nah it just seems every time i try and encourage people to took look at the bright side i get ripped a new one by atleast 2-3 people sayin its so easy for me to say that, or i dont have any idea what they go through, and its just an excuse one after another. im an acne sufferer and to an extent i do agree with you, i wouldnt someone to just randomly walk up to me and say "yo, you got a big ass pimple"..but if your at the gym, and you are asked why you werent there for 3 weeks, and YOU bring acne up, you cant fault the receptonist for askin. maybe she was concerned that she might have broke out due to lack of cleaning or an allergic reaction to a machine. i know i would be worried if someone didnt show up to my gym and they said it was just a breakout. but the receptonist prob. couldve asked in a nicer way, but i cant really judge since i wasnt there

what if the receptionist wasn't asking why you werent there for 3 weeks? and literally meant what happened to your face. maybe the op goes in at different times of the day and doesn't see the receptionist often.

i understand completely not wanting to go to work about it. i am a cashier at a grocery store and ive had so many people comment (bad) on my skin and always trying to give me advice. i dont understand how anyone could go up to someone they didnt know and comment on what they look like. id NEVER just go to anyone and try to give him/her advice thats so insane, they have balls, but in this case that isnt such a good thing.

its so embarassing when it happens and im sorry "CheekyTrickyChic" that happened to you. its worse enough feeling like shit already and having (for me its always old women) say stuff makes me feel even worse.

Thank you all :)

@Shecan'tlooklikeaboar: and prettyboy Thanks for your sweet reminder of being a positive thinker. Yes, I believe that each person might be mentally beautiful. However, such mental beauty always take time to be appreciated :) I believe that you have gone through tons of research saying that a good look often (in the least) brings lots of advantage to its owner. Well, to be honest, I'm quite good looking except these days when I break out like hell. Worse still, since I'm on accutane which dries up my skin, I cannot put on even concealer to hide all of my active cysts and my scars :( Given all these, there would be a huge difference btw my look when I'm almost acne-free and right now. Plus, I'm quite "popular" at my office so yeah, I don't want people to look at me pitifully, ask questions and give me all of very "common sense" tips for acnes which just apply to kinda once_in_a_while teenagers' pimple. That's why I skip work and gym.

@The Heir: Thanks babe. You're so sweet. I'm really touched :)

@coolguy: Yes, boy. That's exactly my point. She asked straight away that what happened to my face, why I had a breakout and all the alike questions :(

@very frustrated: So sorry to hear, but I hope things will gradually get better to both of us :)

@All: I still love all of you :)

First off dealing with other people when you have acne is frustrating. Of course not everyone is trying to make you feel bad or make fun of you and they are genuine about offering advice.... but when it comes to physical imperfections its better to wait for the person with the imperfection to ASK you for advice, before you go rambling on about scrubs and vitamins.

As a naturally thin girl, I don't walk up to heavier people and say "why are you so big? why don't you try this, I eat lots of green veggies.. etc". And that goes for any kind of obvious physical "imperfection".

If you see someone with a big purple birthmark on their face do you say "holy Haleakala! put some concealer on that thing!"

Of course not! They know its there and they are dealing with it!

I work in a medical office and I have to be bright and friendly, and people look directly at my face all day. Some days I just want to wear a bag on my head from bad acne/ very oily skin. On one of these days especially, if someone comes in the office and says "hey have u tried Proactiv?!" I really could just pop them in the face. Its like, umm yeahh I've tried that... obv it doesn't work..." They don't get it. I just want to throw my huge list of failed products and regimens at them.

Alright I'm rambling. :doh:

Point is... when it comes to a more permanent physical defect (like acne, being overweight, scars..) vs. something like a broken arm or new wound, you have to understand that this person has been dealing with this and has PROBABLY tried your suggestion and is doing their BEST to not think about their acne/whatever right now.

I don't blame cheekytrickychic for feeling uncomfortable, I know I would.

your welcome..like i said, its hard for me to judge cause i wasnt there to witness how it was, and how your words was used in context, but its alot of times personality comes into play. im really shy so i would never approach someone about their skin if i didnt know them, nor would i say "hey, your fly is down", or somethin along those lines, but some people are comfortable approachin like that

good luck to you

@skylyre: Thanks for your sharing and your understanding :)

@Shecan'tlooklikeawildboar: Believe me, my friend. I'm working as a sales and marketing so definitely my words and my tone is moving from sweet to calm :) lol Anyway, once again thank you for your indirect reminder of behaving myself in whatever "being attacked" situation :)