Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sowet

If you had to pick one supplement

I noticed that many of you take a plethora of supplements and I was curious to find out, if you were only allowed to take one vitamin/supplement what would it be? Multivitamins do count.....

*side note* Any of you know of a very good multivitamin?

Hmm probably fish oil. But why I am picking just one?

Now Adam (have used in the past)

Source Naturals Life Force Multiple No Iron (this is what I use)

vit d - most people are deficient and don't know it. the medical community is only starting to take a closer look at this in adults. vit d deficiency creates a ton of problems - look it up and you would be surprised!

vit d - most people are deficient and don't know it. the medical community is only starting to take a closer look at this in adults. vit d deficiency creates a ton of problems - look it up and you would be surprised!

I agree during the winter, but right now?

I agree during the winter, but right now?

Depends on how much sun you get. But most people I have heard, that got their blood levels checked were low (even getting sun and taking a supplement). So that is why I supplement with it.

packerfan785 - I found out I was pretty deficient last fall and was put on a megadose. I recently had my levels rechecked and they are finally in a healthy range. My doc actually said that I should keep taking the supplement (at a normal dose) to maintain healthy levels. One of the issues with vit d is that we use a lot of sunscreen which prohibits absorption. I live in the pacific nw and more providers are screening their patients because they are finding we are severely deficient up here (and no, it's doesn't rain year round - ha ha!).

packerfan785 - I found out I was pretty deficient last fall and was put on a megadose. I recently had my levels rechecked and they are finally in a healthy range. My doc actually said that I should keep taking the supplement (at a normal dose) to maintain healthy levels. One of the issues with vit d is that we use a lot of sunscreen which prohibits absorption. I live in the pacific nw and more providers are screening their patients because they are finding we are severely deficient up here (and no, it's doesn't rain year round - ha ha!).

I don't use sunscreen. Also you may have been deficient, but many of us are not. As I said this time of year just go outside, your body can manufacture so much of it in a short period of time.

Some of us Packer may have multiple skin conditions in addition to acne and cannot bathe all day in the sun. I know personally I avoid the sun like a plague, getting maybe a few minutes every month or two if that. WHy do I do this?? No I am not a vampire nor am I afraid of the sun, I used to almost live at the beach and pool in the summer but now I have a skin situation that worsens extremely with heat and sun so I avoid it at all costs.

Also it is pretty easy to be deficient, sure you can fry yourself in the summer but once winter comes around etc. the Vitamin D levels go way way down, also some people do not want to bake in the sun all summer due to things like skin cancer etc., so again, VitaminD deficiency is pretty common, more so than you might think. It appears also that as the experts do more research and obtain more knowledge on the subject the level considered to be "healthy" has risen quite a bit recently.

p.s- I've found fish oil to be the most beneficial so far (3000 mgs) but I haven't tried zinc just yet, I'm guessing though based off others experiences here that it will be helpful with acne and skin healing and hopefully also the above mentioned additional skin issues. Fingers crossed!

What skin situation do you have that worsens in the sun? Bacteria that causes acne is killed by the UV rays and should improve your acne. Maybe if you dropped the chemical usage your face would get less irritated in the sun? (just a guess)

You don't need to "bathe for hours" either. In a small period of time your body can outproduce what a supplement can get you.

It would be like a "3 Bee" multivitamin supplement. It would contain royal jelly, bee propolis, and bee pollen as an all-in-one vitamin pill. It helps fertility, hormones, and gives a power shot of energy and vitamins. It gives my skin a glow and my eyelashes are long. Maybe if I use that Latisse stuff and mascara on top of this, they'll be phenomenal. :shock:

Niacin. Check the topic in nutrition forum. It is literally the miracle vitamin. Better than Zinc, better than fish oil, it just works, and works well! And pretty fast ( I saw results in 3 hours, check out the topic ) no kidding, I am addicted 2 it now :P ILY Niacin! (flush kind, the non flush doesnt work for some)

What skin situation do you have that worsens in the sun? Bacteria that causes acne is killed by the UV rays and should improve your acne. Maybe if you dropped the chemical usage your face would get less irritated in the sun? (just a guess)

You don't need to "bathe for hours" either. In a small period of time your body can outproduce what a supplement can get you.

Some people have conditions that require them to limit their exposure and therefore they must supplement. Even short term sun exposure without sunscreen can activate the condition. Vitiligo is one such condition.

Fish oil. For my cats, too. :)