Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I have a quick question. I get a few pimples/white heads once in a while, its not to bad but I have a question regarding exercising and sweating. I go to the gym and play soccer so I sweat alot. After I am done i am quite sweaty and I was wondering if it is better to just take a shower with no acne cleaners or is it better to cleanse the face with acne cleansers after each time I get sweaty. I feel like I am washing my face too much with acne cleaners, but I dont want to take a chance of just taking a shower and getting tons of pimples from not using an acne face wash. I currenty wash my face when I wake up and before bed and everytime I do physical excercise where I get sweaty.

i'm pretty sure over-washing your face is bad. a personal story: i had very minor acne until my 2nd yr of college. that year i lived right across the bathroom, so I would shower a lot. any time i exercised during the day, went on a run, or even if it was just hot outside and i sweat because of the weather, i would shower. And every time i did shower, i would wash my face with face wash. i'm not sure if this over-washing is what caused my all-over breakouts, but it is strange that i started to get all-over face breakouts after i over washed my face.

but this is just a personal story. only you know what is the best method for your skin. my suggestion is to just try every method and whichever one causes you to break out the least go with it.

I workout 6 times a week, and afterward I take a shower with NO facewash. I only use the facewash 2x a day (morning and night), and the rest of the time I use mildly warm water (I dont even rub my face, just let water run on it).

My acne didn't get worse when I started working out and doing this, so it seems like its a safe way to go about it.

I work out a lot too and I play a lot of golf. Right now it is summer and when I do double days (working out and then playing golf or vice versa), I always take a shower and wash my face. On these double days, I end up washing my face 3 times a day. I find that if I dont shower after golfing, I actually get new acne the next day.