Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdndc

generic accutane not as effective as brand-name

I was on several courses of accutane in the '90s (brand-name accutance, of

course, since that's all there was). I had the usual very dry lips, dry eyes, and

initial acne flare-ups during the first couple months of use. Also triglycerides

went very high and I had to back off the accutane dosage a bit. I was taking

about 1.2 mg/kg/day.

Since April 2009, I've been on Claravis. Same dosage as in the '90s ---

a little over 1mg/kg/day. The only real side effect is dry lips. No acne flare-ups

and blood-work is completely normal. I also notice that my skin is not as dry

as when I was on the brand-name accutane.

Anyone know what's going on? My dermatologist is wondering about Claravis.

Is claravis just not absorbing the way the brand-name stuff does? It definitely seems

less effective than the brand-name accutane. Unfortunately, I can't even try the

brand-name stuff anymore since Roche just took it off the US market.

Also, can anyone say which generic brand seems to be the most effective?

What's going on here with these generics????

Thanks!

jdndc

I'm on Claravis and I'm very happy with my results so far.

I'd be extremely surprised if your dr. has never had a patient use generic isotretinoin rather than brand name accutane. The patent for accutane expired some time ago, I don't think any pharmacies were stocking it even when it was available.

i took sotret for the first few months and i wasnt as dry as my doctor liked me to be and my acne wasnt making any improvements. she switched me over to the name brand accutane and my face cleared up pretty fast. im not sure whether time was the important factor or me switching to accutane but ive stuck with accutane and now im completely clear

Technically generic should be the same as accutane. I don't think anyone is going to know the answer to which generic is the best because no pharmaceutical company would waste their time or money doing research to do a head to head comparison. There may be subtle differences in the different pills, how it is made (other ingredients) and the way it is absorbed but for the most part companies try to keep those about the same. Most people on this forum are on a generic as its so much cheaper for the insurance companies. And now everyone will be on a generic form since roche pulled accutane. Good luck. It's a good thing you don't have abnormal labs test, and side effects. Just because you don't have side effects does not mean its not working. You had all those bad side effects last time and your acne came right back. So maybe this time it will be better.

Technically generic should be the same as accutane. I don't think anyone is going to know the answer to which generic is the best because no pharmaceutical company would waste their time or money doing research to do a head to head comparison. There may be subtle differences in the different pills, how it is made (other ingredients) and the way it is absorbed but for the most part companies try to keep those about the same. Most people on this forum are on a generic as its so much cheaper for the insurance companies. And now everyone will be on a generic form since roche pulled accutane. Good luck. It's a good thing you don't have abnormal labs test, and side effects. Just because you don't have side effects does not mean its not working. You had all those bad side effects last time and your acne came right back. So maybe this time it will be better.

Thanks to all for the responses. Some good points were made.

I've scoured the web for information about generic vs brand-name accutane and

it's a mixed bag. Some people say there's no difference and others (like me) say there is a

difference. I just wish I could go on the Roche accutane for a couple months to

see for myself if there really is a difference. I'm convinced that there is a diff. But, as

was pointed out, just because I don't have all the negative side-effects, it doesn't mean Claravis

isn't working (it's true that I've had no acne breakouts during the 3 months I've been on it).

I'm trying Amnesteem for the next month (or two) to see if there's any diff compared to

Claravis. Probably won't be, but it'll be interesting to find out....

-JD 'n DC

I am on claravis and the results have been good so far. my doctor said if i wasnt getting the dry lips, dry skin, increased thirst etc he owuld KNOW it isnt working an dup my dose, but it is. generic helps us all save a bit of money, thats really the only big difference

I am wondering the same thing.

I took 3 courses of Accutane (Roche brand) from 1996-99 and my recollection was that of very dried lips, oil-free skin, and clear skin after 4-6 weeks.

I've been on generic isotretinoin now for 10 weeks and I have slightly dry lips, slightly dry skin, and my acne has not cleared up even with oral ABs. I get fewer pimples but they're more severe (cystic & painful!!). It seems this generic iso is not working as well as the real accutane.

I took 3 courses of Accutane (Roche brand) from 1996-99 and my recollection was that of very dried lips, oil-free skin, and clear skin after 4-6 weeks.

I'm getting nervous hearing so many people say they've been on 3+ courses. Would you say your acne is milder after several courses of accutane, or did it come back just as severe?

I'm getting nervous hearing so many people say they've been on 3+ courses. Would you say your acne is milder after several courses of accutane, or did it come back just as severe?

im on the generic and i think its starting to work my face seems to be dry and i put loiton on before i went to sleep last night and im waking up with dry lips u may just take a little longer to get used to,

I was on generic Accutane for almost 6 months and it worked great! I am still clear after 6 months off it, knock on wood, and all I am left with are a few tiny red marks that are fading away!

Well, I am studying Pharmacology at uni so dealing with drugs pretty much every day. All I can say is that generic drugs have to have the same ACTIVE ingredient as the original formulation, and in case of Accutane it is Isotretinoin. That means generic drugs are identical to the brand name drug when it comes to pharmacodynamics (what the drug does to our body, meaning the dose-effect relationship) and pharmacokinetics (ADME-absorbtion, distribution, metabolism and excretion - thus duration of the effect). Therefore, by definition generics are identical in dose, strength, efficacy, safety and generally route of administration to brand name drugs. The only difference could be the formulation, meaning that some of the generic drugs could have different forms, gelatine capsules vs. pills, and additional/supporting substances such as colourants, fats, etc. The formulation COULD have a SLIGTH effect one the pharmacokinetic properties (such as absorbtion) but this is rarely the case. And of course, the prices for generics are much cheaper than the brand drugs due to the expiry of the patent protection. That was one of the reasons Roche withdrew Accutane from the US market. Before, Accutane was patent protected, meaning that only Roche could use Isotretinoin (the active ingredient) to make the pills and market them. Usually patents are granted for 10-15 years, then the company loses their right to be the exclusive manufacturer. In the past, they had a monopoly over the market due to the patent, thus they could set the price (as there was no other drug available). Now, other companies can use Isotretinoin in oral preparations, making the market more competitive.

Sorry for writing an essay...but I hope it helps....

Each time it came back just as before. Being on it multiple times didn't help reduce future outbreaks, but it was fairly effective while I was undergoing treatment. While on accutane, I got less pimples, but unfortunately, the few that I got tended to be big painful cysts and often resulted in scarring. That's one thing about accutane I hated and why I was so hesitant to go back on it the last 9 years. I only went back to it because my acne has become resistant to every product out there.. doxycycline, tetra, mino, emycin, cleocin, BP, differin. Those were all things that used to work on me but no longer, or they work but have greatly reduced effectiveness

Each time it came back just as before. Being on it multiple times didn't help reduce future outbreaks, but it was fairly effective while I was undergoing treatment. While on accutane, I got less pimples, but unfortunately, the few that I got tended to be big painful cysts and often resulted in scarring. That's one thing about accutane I hated and why I was so hesitant to go back on it the last 9 years. I only went back to it because my acne has become resistant to every product out there.. doxycycline, tetra, mino, emycin, cleocin, BP, differin. Those were all things that used to work on me but no longer, or they work but have greatly reduced effectiveness

That sucks. :( I hope you find the thing that is right for your skin!