Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jpb782

Was moderate, now is more of a mild acne

Hi,

This is my first post so bare with me, I can be wordy...but it's all a means to an end lol...oh I may use the "lol" a lot...lol..sorry, may be 31 but I still use lol like it's goin outta style...

So a little history so you know exactly where I'm coming from...(oh yeah I'll use an abundance of "..." in these posts too, sorry"...

I never had severe acne, and it has always appeared at different points in life, a few pimples in the teen years, some in the early twenties...so last year I started at a new job, in a printing company.....and between that and the medicine's I take (have MS) my skin has gone through more stress I believe than it used to.

Now the med's I take for the MS, well really the one I'm taking right now, doesn't list acne as a very common side effect, it does list it, but I don't think that's what it is because a lot of other people take the med and I can't seem to find anyone else complaining of acne...although it does lower the immune system DRASTICALLY, which I've always wondered if that helps the acne along.

Last year I was having a lot of, I don't know exactly what kind of zits they were, I thought they were cystic, but I think now they were just those normal red ones that hurt a bit when they first start...so of course I was picking and prodding, a big no no....went through a bunch of products, finally saw a dermatologist and he prescribed Duac and tetracycline for me....the Duac has worked great (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself by saying that) over the year, didn't start the antibiotic until about 3 months after the Duac, and this is why....

I was using the Duac with good success, no big hurting zits and very rarely a pustule, but I started getting a lot of comedones (I think thats what you call them) on my forehead, a few on my face (in what they call the Tzone), but the face one's didnt bother me much....the one's on the forehead did...and do, although during the winter they subsided a bit...

Now, I'll admit, I wear a backwards hat sometimes on the weekend, maybe for like 2 hours 2 nights a week, and that never bothered me before.....

My job definition has changed, I was primarily in the graphic design part of the company, now I'm in a hot humid room half the day making plates for a printing press..so not only heat, but I'm exposed to developer and other chemicals..yet that doesn't seem to bother anyone else, so I can't imagine it's just that causing these forehead problems..plus I started getting the forhead bumps before I started doing that type of job.

I also use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser now, in the morning, and after I work out in the evening during a shower...did use the brand that came with the Duac but I would run out of that and coudldnt seem to find it at a store or sold separetly online...anyways, I started wondering if it was the cleanser causing this, since it started about 3 months after I started using a more gentle cleanser...

So I saw my derm again about a month back, and he was sort of rushed, so he just basically told me to stick with what I'm doing (which I liked because I do really like the way the Duac has worked)....but he also recommended Panoxyl..which I had forgotten the name of what he recommended and had to call the other day and ask lol....so basically I haven't used the Panoxyl yet, a little scared that thte combo of that and Duac will way dry out my skin (I bought both a 2.5 percent cleanser in a tube and a 5% cleanser in bar form)....

I guess what I'm getting at, after this incredibly long-winded post, is has anyone ever had similar experiences when on Duac, or with Cetaphil? Has anyone ever used Panoxyl for this type of acne, and has anyone ever used it combined with Duac, how many days a week did you use it? How much Duac is good to use (that still confuses me, one thing says a pea sized amount, another thing says "about the amount of medication from the tip of your finger to first joint"...so the contradictions on that realllllly confuse me)...

Also, since I work in a job that produces a lot of sweat, shoul I be bringing a towel to work and sort of dabbing my forehead regularly....and since I work out when i get home, I always wash my face (my night wash I guess)..in the shower, so basically I just rinse my face before Duac....

and lastly, would anyone recommend the combo of both Panoxyl and Cetaphil, say Panoxyl a few times a week, Cetaphil the rest?...and also, I realize excessive hat wearing can aggrivate this, but the hat never bothered me before, and I really nly wear it for like a few hours out of the week, so I doubt it's that, even my derm doubts thats the cause...

Thanks if you were able to actually make it through this whole 3 page post or whatever it is without wanting to hurl books at me for talking too long lol. :surprised: