Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
absolution

Something I read in a magazine which actually sounds promising

Hey everyone,

Im not sure if Im posting this info in the right section, but I am dealing with severe/moderate acne myself so I thought I'd put it here. Im also currently on accutane and clear of any actives, but I think I will try this out once Im off the accutane, it sounds like something that cant make my face worse!

So, Cosmo magazine had a section on summer fruit and how it can help skin and here is something about acne :

"Supernutrient: Lycopene. It helps fend off zits and redness by reducing inflammation that can lead to pimples and clogged pores. Adding more to your diet can actually deliver clear-skin results comparable to those of antiacne Rx's"

"Best summer source: A large tomato. The....fruit, particularly the skin, is a tasty way to get lycopene. You can also do a weekly tomato mask. Place thin tomato slices over your face and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes so the juices seep in. Follow up by slicing another tomato in half and rubbing the smooth side of both halves in small circles over the skin. The lycopene declogs pores and acts as a natural astringent to eliminate acne-causing bacteria."

Cheap, easy, no prescriptions.....sounds great !

well, at least worth a try? :think:

Sounds pretty cool. Now someone has to be brave enough to try it.

Because tomatoes are scary as hell.

Apparently you've never seen 'Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes'. ; )

Interesting. Actually, not all that surprising given that there were studies showing how lycopene stops the growth of benign prostatic hyperplasia. As i believe there's a connection between MPB and acne in adult men, i could see how lycopene would be beneficial for fighting acne.

Eat the tomatoes cooked as cooking them actually increases the lycopene content (cooking it, however, lowers the vitamin C content). I wouldn't fry or boil them though. Steam them until the skin peels off easily. I think cooking them will help break down the sugars as well, but i don't know if that is necessarily a good thing.

EDIT: also watch out if you have a history of kidney stones as tomatoes are fairly high in oxalates.

"Best summer source" = watermelon!!

Yea they included a few, strawberries for firm skin, blueberreis for a glowing complexion, peaches for a smooth body, strong hair and nails from avocado...but this is what they said for acne.

I guess watermelon is good too....lots of water? Haha

Lycopene is also anti-androgenic. A study on prostrate cancer showed it inhibts both DHT conversion and IGF-1.

...thats a good thing, right?

Lycopene is also anti-androgenic. A study on prostrate cancer showed it inhibts both DHT conversion and IGF-1.

...thats a good thing, right?

Yes. Those are the hormone forms that cause acne.